Where is RCN

Michael Harris

Guest
Is RCN still in buisness? Their web site has been down for quite some time
now and I got an issue from Recumbent and Tandem Rider Magazine for no
apparent reason.

"Michael Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is RCN still in buisness? Their web site has been down for quite some time
> now and I got an issue from Recumbent and Tandem Rider Magazine for no
> apparent reason.

RCN didn't have enough money to print and mail the last issue and the
business has closed. The issues you have remaining on your RCN subscription
will be filled with issues of RTR. I still had a few issues left on my
subscription too. RIP RCN

gotbent aka frvt rider

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "Michael Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Is RCN still in buisness? Their web site has been down for quite some
>>> time now and I got an issue from Recumbent and Tandem Rider Magazine for
>>> no apparent reason.
>>>

>> RCN didn't have enough money to print and mail the last issue and the
>> business has closed. The issues you have remaining on your RCN
>> subscription will be filled with issues of RTR. I still had a few issues
>> left on my subscription too. RIP RCN

> I didn't know that RCN had gone out of business. I had complained for years
> to Robert Bryant (the publisher, editor and chief writer of RCN) about the
> high subscription price. I dropped my subscription a couple of years ago.
> Apparently, that was the last straw for him.
>
> I have the complete issues of RCN from the beginning (Vol. 1, No.2, Summer
> 1990) through July-August 2006 (#095). For some reason I am lacking Vol 1.,
> No.1.
>
> A friend of mine gave me his issues of RCN. They are from Nov./Dec. 1997
> (No. 42) through Sept./Oct. 2003 (No. 078). However, some issues appear to
> be missing (only us former librarians ever know how to get anything
> complete). These were the halcyon years of RCN when it almost became a
> magazine. Anyone who wants them can have them for free if you will pay the
> shipping charges. The issues are all in excellent condition. Let me know if
> you are interested via email.
>
> I will say this much .... RCN was a scrappy little newsletter and Robert
> Bryant for many years was my guru. Everything I know about recumbents I
> learned from him. He was a true enthusiast and did many a battle with some
> of the recumbent manufacturers who were less than honest and above board.
>
> RIP RCN

It pays (literally) to suck up to one's advertisers.

Thats too bad. I think at the very least the present subscribers should had
been notified either through Robert Bryant or through RTR. In any case I
trully enjoyed RCN. As I am sure many a bent rider got his/her first
education on bents through RCN.

gotbent aka FRVTR wrote:
> "Michael Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is RCN still in buisness? Their web site has been down for quite some time
>> now and I got an issue from Recumbent and Tandem Rider Magazine for no
>> apparent reason.
>>

> RCN didn't have enough money to print and mail the last issue and the
> business has closed. The issues you have remaining on your RCN subscription
> will be filled with issues of RTR. I still had a few issues left on my
> subscription too. RIP RCN

The fortunes of RCN rose and fell in rough parallel to ARBR. The end of
an era in the modern recumbent revival.