Where is Scott bike made from???

Mike1970 said:
Hi,

Most road bike have a "race geometry". Unless your buying a touring bike to the best of my knowlage. From what I can see most of the bikes I have seen are "race" bikes.
This is not necessarily true. A lot of companies offer comfort lines of road bikes. For example, I'll use Trek's Pilot line of bikes. They have a much taller head tube and more relaxed angles on the head and seat tube, which give the rider a more upright position than the stereotypical "race geometry" would.

artemidorus said:
Bobby, since when does a bike's finish contribute to racing performance? Or are you implying that it is ordinary?

I think he's implying that the finish is a big, uhm, dodgy, or only looks good from a distance. Racing in all forms frequently involves doing things that are cosmetically challenged.

That said, the Look 595 that I test rode today had a dead sexy finish on it.

Alienator, have you ever had the chance to ride a Look 565? also, have you heard about any deficiencies in the Look frames? I am seriously considering a 565...

One comment about 'race geometry' I think I would define 'race geometry' by the predominant design of the day which seems to be 74 degree head angle, 40cm chainstays and medium/long toptubes, not all bikes use this geometry and the others are certainly still race ready designs...

after you ride one design for a while you can make a decision about changes, without a current frame of reference (excuse the pun) its difficult to choose based on test rides...

i believe the Scott is 73 or 73.5 degree headangle which is where I would start if I had no current ride to compare with... not too steep or too slack

all's'miles

curby

alienator said:
I think he's implying that the finish is a big, uhm, dodgy, or only looks good from a distance. Racing in all forms frequently involves doing things that are cosmetically challenged..

Personally I wish the 'baked' finish whatever that means, that is used on the aluminium team soloists was more widely used in the industry. It hardly marks up and for bikes that are going onto racks, off racks, getting bumped around as daily riders or racers etc, that it's definitely a good thing. Sure up close it's no hand finished Casati.

The finish on my De Rosa is beautiful, but you look at it the wrong way and it marks up.

--brett

curby said:
Alienator, have you ever had the chance to ride a Look 565? also, have you heard about any deficiencies in the Look frames? I am seriously considering a 565...

One comment about 'race geometry' I think I would define 'race geometry' by the predominant design of the day which seems to be 74 degree head angle, 40cm chainstays and medium/long toptubes, not all bikes use this geometry and the others are certainly still race ready designs...

after you ride one design for a while you can make a decision about changes, without a current frame of reference (excuse the pun) its difficult to choose based on test rides...

i believe the Scott is 73 or 73.5 degree headangle which is where I would start if I had no current ride to compare with... not too steep or too slack

all's'miles

curby

I've never pedaled a 565, but I also haven't heard anything bad about 'em. In fact, I can't remember the last time I've heard anything bad about Look frames. As far as their construction and QC go, there are a ton of old CF Look frames on the road that are still rolling and doin' great. The 565 has the HC5SL fork which is generally considered a damned fine fork. Look frames tend to be very stable frames, not steering too quickly nor steering too slowly.

Find a Look dealer and see about riding a 565. Or you can go to RoadBikeReview to check reviews. Here's a review of the 565.

And here are reviews of the 555, the 565's progenitor.

Good luck.

I'm riding a six week old 555. Great bike, but I think now made in Taiwan when all the other looks are Tunisia/France.

I got kind of lost with some of these posts...I didn't read some of them talking about geometry. I have the scott s-20 and love it. That retails for $1700-1800 now I think. I just looked at Scott's website and the CR1 team is $2500. I didn't realize that that had a 105 groupo. I guess the main difference between mine and that is the frame (among other small differences here and there). I would say if you can get that for $1700, go for it! I have had my bike for about 8 months now (I bought a slightly used--less than 100 miles--s-20) and for the past 3 months or so have averaged roughly 75-100 miles/week. The only problem I have had is some shifting problems, but that is from the cables stretching and not having the time to adjust them. Other than that, I love this bike and would have loved to get the CR1 that he had...oh well...maybe later.
I didn't ride the CR1, but I jumped on it quick at the shop when I bought mine and I loved it...not to mention all the carbon on it!

rdk said:
I'm riding a six week old 555. Great bike, but I think now made in Taiwan when all the other looks are Tunisia/France.

The 555 is made in Tunisia.

ToffoIsMe said:
This is not necessarily true. A lot of companies offer comfort lines of road bikes. For example, I'll use Trek's Pilot line of bikes. They have a much taller head tube and more relaxed angles on the head and seat tube, which give the rider a more upright position than the stereotypical "race geometry" would.
Hi.

Your right!! I guess the best of my knowlege isn't the "best".:) I still stand by the "try as many different bike's as you can". As well as Shimano and Campy parts.

Mike

Wkender said:
Thanks OldBobcat and MIKE 1970

BTW, OldBOBCAT, what is the deal with Orbea?? Is the bike really that great?? How about for an average guy like myself ..at 37 and just want to have fun on the sport and ride with a littel better gear than average.
I just pulled that one out because it sounds exotic. I just saw one that a buddy was selling, and, well, I might have been more impressed if it were my size. You'll have lot's of fun on the Scott or Cannondale. Go with fit and feel.

A crazy thing about my old Gios. I never rode one because all my friends who had them are short, so I chose it by word of mouth the fact that it was all Frank had left in my size. If I'd had a chance to ride this bike in a parking lot when I was less experienced, I would never have chosen it--softer, more compliant, and a bit heavier than the Charles Roberts I had been riding. Even then, I was taken aback at how it did not "jump forward" the way I thought it should.

After a few months on it, however, it fit like a dream. I was riding longer and climbing better than I ever had. Also, I was descending and cornering with more confidence, especially on bad roads.

The Felt is by no means a deluxe bike. It's made somewhere in East Asia, I don't even know the full pedigree of the component mix. On the other hand, it's at least three pounds lighter than the old Gios, it corners better (carbon fork), and with a compact crankset and 10-speed cluster I can climb anything that I used to climb with a 53-42 and a 7-speed over twenty years ago. It's going slower, I've lost twenty pounds, I've reduced my blood pressure and cholesterol level, and I'm having fun.

alienator said:
The 555 is made in Tunisia.
Are you sure for the new 2007 "complete bike only" model (ie Look don't sell the frameset). I'd like to think so.

oldbobcat said:
I just pulled that one out because it sounds exotic. I just saw one that a buddy was selling, and, well, I might have been more impressed if it were my size. You'll have lot's of fun on the Scott or Cannondale. Go with fit and feel.

The Felt is by no means a deluxe bike. It's made somewhere in East Asia, I don't even know the full pedigree of the component mix. On the other hand, it's at least three pounds lighter than the old Gios, it corners better (carbon fork), and with a compact crankset and 10-speed cluster I can climb anything that I used to climb with a 53-42 and a 7-speed over twenty years ago. It's going slower, I've lost twenty pounds, I've reduced my blood pressure and cholesterol level, and I'm having fun.
Felt is a fairly new bicycle company, started by motocross guru Jim Felt. All production comes from Asia.

Orbea - Orbea is one of the two large Spanish bicycle manufacturers. It is sort of like Spain's version of Trek or Schwinn. Bikes are produced in Spain and Asia. High-end carbon frames are made in Asia and "finished" (i.e., painted) in Spain.

Cannondale - Aluminum Cannondales are made in the U.S. Cannondale, which was owned by founder Joe Montgomery and his son Scott. Cannondale is now owned by its key investment fund after experiencing financial problems. Cannondale's market share appears to have diminished but stabilized. Because it is owned by an investment fund, it is constantly rumored for sale. The carbon bikes are sourced from Asia.

rdk said:
Are you sure for the new 2007 "complete bike only" model (ie Look don't sell the frameset). I'd like to think so.

Yep. Does it matter where it comes from?

rdk said:
Dont forget I bought it thinking it was made in Taiwan.
Scotts are Swiss bikes but mfg in Taiwan due to the low cost of labor over there.

Outsourcing to its peak !!

Thanks to all for great inputs and follow up....Just yesterday, I had a day off, I test drove:
Madone 5.0 full ultegra
Orebea Onix TDE w/SRAM ( I like the TDF but no available in my size)
05' Giant TCR limited w/ Utegra
Scott SC1 Team w/ 105

I like the madone overall b/c of the stiffness on the uphill and the components-very smooth on shifting.
I also like the appeal of Onix better and the uphill strokes was very quick in response. I feel every ounce I push get transfer to the wheel. However, the SRAM I can't get use to it. I have few accident on shifting--- not good (then again that just my opinion)
Scott will be the following choice but I'm not too crazy about the 105 shifting very unreliable. Other than the compo., the bike (frame) feel just as well w/ Orbea. However, I dont feel right with that LBS. Their willingness to make a deal is less than natural.
Finally, the Giant is the least I prefer...just doesn't feeel right for me...again that just me.

so, I'm leaning toward Orbea b/c of the price ( I can get it for little over $2K) while the other LBS which sell the Madone 5.0 insist @ $2500.

BTW, can anyone tell me...that can it be true the the same components (i.e. Utegra) be different on the "feel" of shifting b/c on a the different bike itself? or just not tune up well???

Much appreciate.

Wkender said:
Thanks to all for great inputs and follow up....Just yesterday, I had a day off, I test drove:
Madone 5.0 full ultegra
Orebea Onix TDE w/SRAM ( I like the TDF but no available in my size)
05' Giant TCR limited w/ Utegra
Scott SC1 Team w/ 105

I like the madone overall b/c of the stiffness on the uphill and the components-very smooth on shifting.
I also like the appeal of Onix better and the uphill strokes was very quick in response. I feel every ounce I push get transfer to the wheel. However, the SRAM I can't get use to it. I have few accident on shifting--- not good (then again that just my opinion)
Scott will be the following choice but I'm not too crazy about the 105 shifting very unreliable. Other than the compo., the bike (frame) feel just as well w/ Orbea. However, I dont feel right with that LBS. Their willingness to make a deal is less than natural.
Finally, the Giant is the least I prefer...just doesn't feeel right for me...again that just me.

so, I'm leaning toward Orbea b/c of the price ( I can get it for little over $2K) while the other LBS which sell the Madone 5.0 insist @ $2500.

BTW, can anyone tell me...that can it be true the the same components (i.e. Utegra) be different on the "feel" of shifting b/c on a the different bike itself? or just not tune up well???

Much appreciate.
  1. 105 should shift just fine. The dealer didn't set it up correctly.
  2. Any particular group should feel the same between different bikes. If it doesn't, it wasn't setup properly.
  3. If people knew how small the markup was on bikes, they'd realize how lame it is to expect a dealer to give them a "deal."

Scott USA - Scott got its start in Sun Valley, Idaho, when Ed Scott developed the first aluminum ski pole in 1958. In the 80's, Scott developed a bike line.

Eventually, Scott pulled out of the U.S. market and focused on Europe, where Scott is headquartered.

After an absence of several years, Scott has returned to the U.S. market under the direction of Scott Montgomery of Cannondale fame. Although the company is headquartered in Switzerland, production comes from Asia, with key suppliers being Hodaka and Giant.