Where is Scott bike made from???

Wkender

Jul 9, 2007
I'm sorry if this show up twice.
I'm a newbie. I recently are interested in purchasing a new road bike.

I'm looking into Scott CR1 and Orbea Onix.
I was told that Scott is made in Europe, but I saw few photos on the BLOG that show a label on the bottom of the bike printed : "Made in Taiwan"

Can someone explain that? Much appreciate.

Wkender said:

I was told that Scott is made in Europe, but I saw few photos on the BLOG that show a label on the bottom of the bike printed : "Made in Taiwan"

Scott's bikes are, in fact, made in the Far East.

Wkender said:

Well Turkey is being admitted to the European Union. Maybe in a few years time, the statement might turn out to be accurate ...

alienator said:
Scott's bikes are, in fact, made in the Far East.
If that is the case, what do you guys thinks about buy Scott vs. Specialized bike? (Since they are both fr. Taiwan, I think)

I'm looking into investing $1700-1900.
I test rode the Roubaix Comp in the past but didn't feel much different from my old bike. The Scott CR1 that I tested was a very short test drive ...( the store was about to close that day) so I didn't get a feel much.

Judging from the forums here, most people seems to like the Scott CR1. I wonder if I can get some help narrow down my choices. Much appreciate.

Currently, I have a old 90's Specialized Epic Carbon tubes with upgrade to used DuraAce STI groupo. The wheelset are used Mavic Open Pro w/ Utegra hubs purchased on ebay also.
The bike feel find but, I feel I can get myself a current models and test out the new carbon frameset. I also think my old handle bar and the wheels are very old and need a overhale or new piece.

Overall, I have been looking into Trek ( Madone vs. Pilot??), Orbea Onix, Specialized Roubaix, and Scott CR1.

The LBS the last recent visit told me he is pushing the Scott CR1 Team Issue out of his line and willing to let it go for $1700. Wonder if that is a good deal???
However the CR1 has the lower series of groupo...I believed it is only Shimano 105.

Appreciate if anyone out there can chip in a comments or two. Thanks again.

Wkender said:
If that is the case, what do you guys thinks about buy Scott vs. Specialized bike? (Since they are both fr. Taiwan, I think)

I decide what bike is best for me by what feels best when it's stuck under my butt. You should do the same.

alienator said:
I decide what bike is best for me by what feels best when it's stuck under my butt. You should do the same.
Thanks for ur reply Alienator.

This may sound dumb and juvenile, but coming from a guy who just started pick up on riding agian, I like to know how can an average joe make a decision on purchasing a bike based on a test ride @ LBS? I mean, typically the ride is just goes down and up the street from the store.

For instance, with my current bike...it took me few rides on the wkends to figure out the seat is set an inch too high and the handle bar is too narrow for me...etc..

I guess I'm having a hard time to make a decision based on "feel" of the bike. When I rode around the store, the street that I not familiar with...it is hard for me to make a comparison.

Again, your inputs are greatly appreciate.

You should buy a bike that says made in italy because that is going to make it work soooo much better.

Seriously, if you want high quality stuff made, you get it done in Taiwan or at a good factory in China.

Wkender said:
This may sound dumb and juvenile, but coming from a guy who just started pick up on riding agian, I like to know how can an average joe make a decision on purchasing a bike based on a test ride @ LBS? I mean, typically the ride is just goes down and up the street from the store.
You have a point.

In my estimation, if the bike is not wildly inappropriate for your build and purposes and it fits, you're eventually going to learn how to ride it well. The test ride in the parking lot is to figure this out. The streets of Europe are full of enthusiasts riding on stuff most of the people in this forum would sniff at. They are getting fit and having fun.

I recently "downgraded" from a steel Gios to a Felt F5C because I could no longer get parts for the Gios and the Felt had a nice price and I liked how it rode and fit in the parking lot. We came pretty close to duplicating the fit of the Gios on the new bike (it's 3 cm smaller) and I swapped out the saddle. I'm not complaining and I feel no envy when I get smoked by a 30-year-old on an Orbea. This is the best riding I've done in 16 years.

KellyT said:
Well Turkey is being admitted to the European Union. Maybe in a few years time, the statement might turn out to be accurate ...
Europe/Asia - same continent!

Wkender said:
Thanks for ur reply Alienator.

For instance, with my current bike...it took me few rides on the wkends to figure out the seat is set an inch too high and the handle bar is too narrow for me...etc..

I guess I'm having a hard time to make a decision based on "feel" of the bike. When I rode around the store, the street that I not familiar with...it is hard for me to make a comparison.

Again, your inputs are greatly appreciate.
Hi,

When bought my bike the shop allowed me to take the bike(s). I tried 3 different brands all around 2-3 grand. I was gone up to 40 minutes. The bike I ended up buying I rode for about 10 minutes, altough I new five minutes into the ride that it was the bike I was going to buy.

If the shop you are looking at has an issue with you taking the bike for a thorough ride find another bike shop. The one I went to is about 140km. round trip. I felt it was worth it.

Hope I was helpfull.
Make sure they fit the bike to you properly.

Mike

Thanks OldBobcat and MIKE 1970

BTW, OldBOBCAT, what is the deal with Orbea?? Is the bike really that great?? How about for an average guy like myself ..at 37 and just want to have fun on the sport and ride with a littel better gear than average.

I'm coming down to narrow my decision...This wkend, I plan to test ride the CR1 by Scott, CAAD 9 and synapse 2 both by Cannondale. Unfortuantely, they dont have my size for Orbea Onix.....than again....I'm might lean toward the SCOTT. Any suggestion?? thanks in advance.

Wkender said:
Thanks OldBobcat and MIKE 1970

BTW, OldBOBCAT, what is the deal with Orbea?? Is the bike really that great?? How about for an average guy like myself ..at 37 and just want to have fun on the sport and ride with a littel better gear than average.

I'm coming down to narrow my decision...This wkend, I plan to test ride the CR1 by Scott, CAAD 9 and synapse 2 both by Cannondale. Unfortuantely, they dont have my size for Orbea Onix.....than again....I'm might lean toward the SCOTT. Any suggestion?? thanks in advance.
Ever consider Cervelo?

Mike1970 said:
Ever consider Cervelo?
Cervelo are a racer's bike. They have race oriented geometry, and race oriented finish.

Orbea are great. Nice designs, good balance (in qualities), my boss swear by them.

bobbyOCR said:
Cervelo are a racer's bike. They have race oriented geometry, and race oriented finish.

Orbea are great. Nice designs, good balance (in qualities), my boss swear by them.
Bobby, since when does a bike's finish contribute to racing performance? Or are you implying that it is ordinary?

bobbyOCR said:
Which part of the geometry makes it race orientated?

bobbyOCR said:

Hi,

Most road bike have a "race geometry". Unless your buying a touring bike to the best of my knowlage. From what I can see most of the bikes I have seen are "race" bikes. I myself have a Cervelo and have gone out on it for hours on it. Once again if the bike is right for you you'll know in five minutes of riding it you . you still will have to mess around with the fit a little. We were not all made with the same size ruler. Even if we are the same height.

Mike

sogood said:
Which part of the geometry makes it race orientated?
I'm not too sure about the geometry of the R3, but for the Soloist line of bikes, the seat post is reversable. Facing it forwards gives you the effect of a 76 degree seat tube angle, or in terms the average person can understand, a much more aggressive riding position. 76 degrees is borderline time trial and triathlon position, and the average weekend warrior or recreational rider would not be very comfortable in such a forward position.