Where Is The Best Cycle Route You Have Done And Why?

farmer333

Feb 22, 2015
UK
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what people rate as their best cycle routes?

For me the best ride so far was probably coming down from one of the highest passes about Leh, Ladakh (North India), down to Leh itself. I have to confess it was a lazy ride, downhill all the way but truly beautiful. It starts in the ice and snow at around 5,500m above sea level and descends to about 3,500m. I say lazy as we got a car to take us to the top, meaning you can only stay for 15 mins due to the quick change in altitude. After that we just rolled on down, amazing views, no one else on the road apart from one army convoy going the other way (it was just before they closed the access roads for winter).

Personally, it was the perfect ride at the time, and one I highly recommend if anyone finds themselves in Ladakh.

What are your experiences and where would you recommend for your best riding experiences?

My best cycling route was probably when I found a secret trail leading to a sandy area. This trail felt as if someone had cleared it just for me. I almost got lost though, because there were some tricky turns which I had to mark with a stick. Overall, the trail was a good distance, and I visit it during my rest days. Hopefully I can find a similar trail, but with less turns to maximize my energy.

[SIZE=11pt]Best cycling route would be a forest trail near our home because we kind of live in the outskirts of the downtown area so it is very convenient for my father and I. The trail is a bit challenging because of being rocky and some tree roots that are very big which can cause us to be flipped over. But the trail itself is already popular to bikers so it would not be a problem of getting lost in the forest. We also bike I groups sometimes with my father’s bike club and I just join in sometimes. Another bike route I am fond of is the bike lane in my university in the past which is called the academic oval. It is just an oval with a distance of 2.2 kilometers but what I love about it is being able to appreciate the beauty of the university and its surroundings, including the people, students, buildings and that school vibe which is peaceful and quiet. [/SIZE]

I don't know if it is my best, but certainly one of my most memorable day's cycle touring was the day we made it to North Cape in Norway.
We had previously planned what we cycled that day to be a 2 day ride, not a 1 day ride, so had set out from the campsite really late in the day after drying out all our kit following a seriously wet day the day before. It was also my parent's wedding anniversary and they were staying in a hotel not far off our route. We had stopped at the junction, considering if we would drop in their card, when a car came passed, so we flagged them down and they kindly took the card to the hotel for us - that saved us quite a few miles. The weather that day was glorious, the catching the sun, it is too hot to stop kind of weather and there was a gentle breeze. But there was a really big storm from coming up from the east (over Russia and the Barents Sea) and we could see that the weather was going to break.

After we made it to the island that North Cape is on, having done a 7 km long tunnel that dropped to 212 m below sea lever, we stopped at a picnic site to have our evening meal and it was there than we made the decision to carry on passed the planned campsite and try and make it to North Cape Visitors Centre for midnight. It would mean our longest ever day and we were on fully laden touring bikes (4 panniers, rackpack, tent etc). As we went passed each campsite we asked each other if we wanted to continue. We both did but we were also both clearly exhausted but we both knew it was a once in a life time opportunity. Towards the end of the road, all the other visitors and tourists who had driven passed us were waving and cheering us on. They were all there to view one thing and one thing only - the midnight sun at North Cape - the most northerly point of Norway. Their cheering and waving helped us on. We made it to the visitors centre in time to see the lowest point of the midnight sun at North Cape on the last night it was visible (the other nights it was hidden by that storm front). It was amazing made better by the fact we had never planned it that way.

After it was over and the sun started rising again, we then had to return to find a suitable camping point some distance away. We stayed around long enough to let all the traffic go and then headed back. Going back was amazing because we still had all the dawn colours and light but it was quiet of tourists and the reindeer now started to gather in massive herds which were heading down towards the better grazing areas. We covered the most climbing, the longest distance, the most underground cycling, our lowest cycling (212 meter below sea level) and various others that day, but the thing we both remember the most after making it their and seeing the midnight sun, is the reindeer herds afterwards! They were in their thousands.

The weather broke in the later hours of the morning, after we had made it to the campsite. We spent the next 4 days in low cloud.

Best cycle route that I have done till now is near wonderful parks and forests.They seem to be ne of the best thing about living a good life. I do believe one should be careful while cycling in lobely areas.

Out here in the country is my favorite. I have plenty of options as to where to go. There are next to no cars. And thee are a lot of hos so I'm getting better than decent exercise.

Hm. I'd have to go with a hiking trail that eventually leads up the side of a mountain to the peak. It's not a big mountain, but the whole trip is 2.5 miles one-way, which isn't that far. It does get pretty challenging when you reach the mid-point and have to cycle up a huge incline. I guess that's not recreational, but the challenge definitely makes you feel incredible. Then the ride downhill is pretty leisurely after you get passed the steep decline!

One of the best cycle routes I found was to the neighbouring town but instead of going along the back roads all the way, I took a lot of small off road cycle paths & trails. As a 16yo I used to race along the trails and pretending I was in a rally. I know, immature and stupid but the dust being kicked up, the sound of the mud and gravel sloshing & crunching under the tyres all made for the experience. On some sections I would reset the stopwatch on my speedometer and time to see how fast I could do it in. Those were some fun times.

Wales. Took the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead. At the 1st left I was able to access a 'B' road across Anglesey Island into Bangor. It's about 30 miles. One goes across the Menai Straits on the Menai bridge into town. It was my favorite section of the tour.