Where might you get cheap cycling clothes in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by bubelrocks, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. bubelrocks

    bubelrocks New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    I'm just getting back into cycling after a few years & all I have is a pair of unlined knicks two sizes too small for me (hang the bay window over the top!). I'm on a tight budget & would like to get some cheap cycling clothes. I'm especially curious as to whether cheap synthetic shirts made for other sporting & work applications can perform the same "wicking" function as the fabulously expensive cycling shirts I see at bike shops. By the way, how tight do shirts have to be to effectively "wick"?

    I actually live in Daylesford, so Melbourne, Ballarat or Bendigo shops can all be accessed. Any other financially challenged cyclists out there who can share their fashion secrets? Any tips that can save money in the clothing area would be appreciated. :)

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    try this...

    in Elwood, melbourne

    http://www.unoclothing.com/shops.html

  3. bubelrocks

    bubelrocks New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Many thanks, flyingdutch, that's just the sort of shop I was looking for - $19.95 cycling shirts! I'm gonna get fluoro! :)

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "bubelrocks" <[email protected]
    > I'm just getting back into cycling after a few years & all I have is a
    > pair of unlined knicks two sizes too small for me (hang the bay window
    > over the top!). I'm on a tight budget & would like to get some _cheap_
    > cycling clothes. I'm especially curious as to whether cheap synthetic
    > shirts made for other sporting & work applications can perform the same
    > "wicking" function as the fabulously expensive cycling shirts I see at
    > bike shops. By the way, how tight do shirts have to be to effectively
    > "wick"?
    >
    > I actually live in Daylesford, so Melbourne, Ballarat or Bendigo shops
    > can all be accessed. Any other financially challenged cyclists out
    > there who can share their fashion secrets? Any tips that can save money
    > in the clothing area would be appreciated. :)

    Netti always seem cheaper than the funky import brands.
    Cannibal second to them. You could always ride in a
    t-shirt like moi (stole those three characters from FD).
    Use knicks, etc. are an option - try ebay.com.au.

    hth
    hippy

  5. Johnny O-R

    Johnny O-R New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2004
    Ebay' s useful.
    Most online bike shops are cheaper than their 'real' LBS equivalents - fewer overheads.

  6. a

    a Guest

    bubelrocks wrote in message ...

    >I'm just getting back into cycling after a few years & all I have is a
    >pair of unlined knicks two sizes too small for me (hang the bay window
    >over the top!). I'm on a tight budget & would like to get some _cheap_
    >cycling clothes. I'm especially curious as to whether cheap synthetic
    >shirts made for other sporting & work applications can perform the same
    >"wicking" function as the fabulously expensive cycling shirts I see at
    >bike shops. By the way, how tight do shirts have to be to effectively
    >"wick"?

    Giramondo's factory outlet in Fawkner is reasonably cheap, cash only - no
    credit cards - last time I was there. I'd call first to see when they are
    open etc.
    http://www.giramondo.com.au/
    Giramondo Sportswear
    Fctry 5 6 Leo St
    Fawkner
    VIC, 3060
    Ph: (03) 9359 2155

  7. Sasha

    Sasha Guest

    > "bubelrocks" <[email protected]
    > > I'm just getting back into cycling after a few years & all I have is a
    > > pair of unlined knicks two sizes too small for me (hang the bay window
    > > over the top!). I'm on a tight budget & would like to get some _cheap_
    > > cycling clothes. I'm especially curious as to whether cheap synthetic
    > > shirts made for other sporting & work applications can perform the same
    > > "wicking" function as the fabulously expensive cycling shirts I see at
    > > bike shops. By the way, how tight do shirts have to be to effectively
    > > "wick"?
    > >
    > > I actually live in Daylesford, so Melbourne, Ballarat or Bendigo shops
    > > can all be accessed. Any other financially challenged cyclists out
    > > there who can share their fashion secrets? Any tips that can save money
    > > in the clothing area would be appreciated. :)

    > Netti always seem cheaper than the funky import brands.
    > Cannibal second to them. You could always ride in a
    > t-shirt like moi (stole those three characters from FD).
    > Use knicks, etc. are an option - try ebay.com.au.
    >
    > hth
    > hippy

    Check out Uno clothing in Elwood- www.unoclothing.com. They have there own
    brand of clothing that is very good value for money, and looks quite nice in
    Orange and Black. They also keep some euro brand team clothing at what seems
    to be much cheaper prices than most bike shops. Otherwise Ebay is OK, but be
    very careful as euro manufacturers seems to have some funky ideas on sizing
    their clothing,

    Sasha

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    You really should see someone about that orange-addiction you have, Sash! :D

    You comin on a BR soon? the one you intended on coming to was when Gags slept so couldnt meet you at the arranged place.

  9. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Nothing wrong with being addicted to orange. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. Just what I needed though...knicks for $50 instead of $70. I like the look of the 8 panel ones from uno. Has anyone tried those?

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Hey Im dutch!!! Cut me in half and watch me bleed orange :D :D :D

    Just got back from a ride to UNO and picked up a pair of teh aforementioned 8panels and shortlength bibs.
    IN BRIGHT ORANGE!!!!
    y'all better be wearin shades on BR's people :p

  11. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    So do we get a comfort report?

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Well, they were quite comfortable in my jersey pocket on the way home. does that count? :D

    Shall give em a thorough 'testing' tomorrow...

  13. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I dropped in there are got some myself. $30 knicks are worth experimenting. I like the team Uno jerseys too, but I suspect I'd look ridiculous.