Where should I buy my bike?

stein321

Jul 24, 2011
I have two more years of college at the University of Missouri, and my parents live in the Chicago suburbs. I have no idea where I'm going to be in two years. Would you recommend buying a bike at my local bikeshop a few suburbs away, finding a brand or mega store downtown or in another suburb, or buying from a local store in Columbia, MO.

If you are going to be in Columbia for two more years, it would be best for you to purchase your bike at your LBS there. That way you have them for warranty support and the free 30 day tune up that most shops offer. You also have them for technical support and parts support. I wouldn't do the Chicago suburbs because you probably spend more time in Columbia at the moment. Most bicycle warrantys only last one year so you wll be on your own after the firat year anyway. When you get to your permanent home after two more years, then start a relationship with your new favorite LBS. Let them tune up your bike or buy a new set of tires and get to know them and let them get to know you. A good relationship with your LBS can pay huge dividends down the road.