Where the cyclists in America belong: back alleys, gutters andsidewalks

OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
lions.

Well, I made it alive because I rode the back alleys, gutters and
sidewalks of America, a strategy developed by our ancestors the
monkeys when they kept to the tree branches in order to survive. I
think on the road of evolution, **** Sapiens somehow lost all common
sense. Somehow the alpha-male monkeys wanted to be a lion...

It was a nice ride.

http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954/product/235602224199217660

ComandanteBanana aka donquixote1954 wrote:
> OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
> trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
> lions.[...]

What type of lions eat bananas?

On Apr 20, 12:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> ComandanteBanana aka donquixote1954 wrote:
> > OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
> > trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
> > lions.[...]

> What type of lions eat bananas?

The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
for it. It's in the Bible.

ComandanteBanana aka donquixote1954 wrote:
> On Apr 20, 12:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> ComandanteBanana aka donquixote1954 wrote:
>>> OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution (the
>>> trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas for the
>>> lions.[...]

>> What type of lions eat bananas?

> The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
> for it. It's in the Bible.

Is that book considered a reliable reference by zoologists?

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On Apr 20, 12:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> ComandanteBanana aka donquixote1954 wrote:
>>> OK, I finally took delivery of official vehicle of the revolution
>>> (the trike), with plenty of space in the basket to carry bananas
>>> for the lions.[...]

>> What type of lions eat bananas?

> The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
> for it. It's in the Bible.

Cite?

In article <[email protected]>,
"ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> writes:
> ComandanteBanana wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 12:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What type of lions eat bananas?

>> The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
>> for it. It's in the Bible.

> Cite?

There's something by Isaiah about how the lion
shall eat straw, like the ox.

As an erstwhile guardian of felines, I can
assert they do eat grass. They don't digest
it very well, though. I had a Persian/alley cat
(I called him "Balzac") that enjoyed the occasional
piece of doughnut. He weighed 23 lbs, and lived
just as many years. He only growled once in his
life, and that was because of a severe toothache.

Personally, I dislike bananas. I'm not terribly
partial toward straw, either. I'd rather eat
the ox.

And y'know what? Lions lead such tough, tragic
lives.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> writes:
>> ComandanteBanana wrote:

>>> The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
>>> for it. It's in the Bible.

>> Cite?

> There's something by Isaiah about how the lion
> shall eat straw, like the ox.
>
> As an erstwhile guardian of felines, I can
> assert they do eat grass.

What happened to your cats?

On Apr 20, 6:57 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
> ComandanteBanana wrote:
> > On Apr 20, 12:16 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> What type of lions eat bananas?

> > The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
> > for it. It's in the Bible.

> Cite?

Jehova's Witnesses argue that lions were vegetarian. And so they
picture the lion being tamed in Paradise.

But in the original Eden lions must have been vegetarian, or else they
would have eaten Adan and Eve before they were cursed.

That they banana is only logical...

On Apr 20, 11:13 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>         "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > ComandanteBanana wrote:

> >> The ones that are actually hungry to eat them. And they have the guts
> >> for it. It's in the Bible.

> > Cite?

> There's something by Isaiah about how the lion
> shall eat straw, like the ox.
>
> As an erstwhile guardian of felines, I can
> assert they do eat grass.  They don't digest
> it very well, though.  I had a Persian/alley cat
> (I called him "Balzac") that enjoyed the occasional
> piece of doughnut.  He weighed 23 lbs, and lived
> just as many years. He only growled once in his
> life, and that was because of a severe toothache.
>
> Personally, I dislike bananas.  I'm not terribly
> partial toward straw, either.  I'd rather eat
> the ox.
>
> And y'know what?  Lions lead such tough, tragic
> lives.

Interesting fact is that the Rich and Powerful surround themselves
with statues of lions and claim the lion in their family crest, so it
is that the lion is their cherished symbol. (They hate the monkey --
their real self-- for the same reason.)

And what's the symbol for the down and out? The monkeys, of course.

So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to mean
that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
said, "You can eat my banana!"

ComandanteBanana aka donquixoto1954 wrote:
> [...] When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> said, "You can eat my banana!"

Family newsgroups, buddy.

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On Apr 20, 11:13 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) [snipped] wrote:

>>> Cite?

> Interesting fact is that the Rich and Powerful surround themselves
> with statues of lions and claim the lion in their family crest, so it
> is that the lion is their cherished symbol. (They hate the monkey --
> their real self-- for the same reason.)
>
> And what's the symbol for the down and out? The monkeys, of course.
>
> So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to mean
> that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> said, "You can eat my banana!"

Which is a really long, labored way for Commandante Banana to admit he
doesn't have a cite for lions eating bananas in the bible.

In article <b2374083-476a-4f17-8aa1-828409483519@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> writes:

> Interesting fact is that the Rich and Powerful surround themselves
> with statues of lions and claim the lion in their family crest, so it
> is that the lion is their cherished symbol. (They hate the monkey --
> their real self-- for the same reason.)

Heraldric fauna also includes pigs, unicorns,
stags, bears, and even the good ol' Raleigh heron.

> And what's the symbol for the down and out? The monkeys, of course.
> So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to mean
> that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> said, "You can eat my banana!"

If anything, fat-assed SUVs should be likened
more to hippopotami, which are far more dangerous
critters than lions. Hippos' dietary preferences
may lean more toward potamogetons than bananas.

--

"Amy Blankenship" <[email protected]> writes:

>> As an erstwhile guardian of felines, I can
>> assert they do eat grass.

> What happened to your cats?

They mostly died of old age. One got run over
by a car. My last one was lost by a co-worker
who was supposed to temporarily take care of him
when I suddenly had to find new digs. That was
especially heartbreaking, and I've since sworn-off
any stewardship of fellow animules. Buster was
a great guy. I got him from a woman who bred
Siameses, but one of her females went a little
wayward and subsequently gave birth to a bunch of
mixed blessings. Buster was the first one to leave
the litter.

He loved to retrieve -- I'd flick a li'l wad of paper
down the hallway, he'd go running after it, pick it
up in his teeth, come scooting back with it and
drop it at my feet, eagerly anticipating its next launch.

He enjoyed sitting on my shoulder like a parrot.

He also hated being condescended-to or belittled, and
true to his Siamese genes, he'd go to take out the eyeball
of anybody who dis'd him. So he got a rep for being
vicious, but in CatLand a bunch of people got reps for
being insufferable jerks.

Many of my friends & acquaintances have cats 'n dogs,
so I still get the joy of socializing with 'em, without
having to provide the maintenance.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

On Apr 21, 9:33 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> ComandanteBanana aka donquixoto1954 wrote:
> > [...] When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> > said, "You can eat my banana!"

> Family newsgroups, buddy.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

Well, it's not what you think.

But I don't expect many kids to be roaming around here, right? How
many of you are still kids?

On Apr 21, 7:25 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 21, 4:41 pm, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 21, 11:29 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > From what I see here in America, what's good for the goose is indeed
> > > good for the gander. That is, everyone violates traffic laws.

> > > I have a stop sign less than 100 yards from where I'm typing this.
> > > Only about half the motorists come to a complete stop. I regularly
> > > see motorists going through red lights. That's most often by
> > > squeezing through a fresh red before cross traffic starts up, but I
> > > regularly see deliberate disobedience of a light that was long red
> > > (including one memorable one by a cop - no siren or emergency lights;
> > > he just didn't want to wait). I see a majority of motorists exceeding
> > > speed limits, and neglecting turn signals before turning or changing
> > > lanes. I regularly see motorists violating the laws in other ways as
> > > well - the list could go on and on.

> > > Bicyclists and pedestrians do the same, of course. I believe the
> > > major difference is not in frequency of disobedience, but in
> > > consequences of disobedience. Bicyclists and pedestrians almost never
> > > injure anyone but themselves by their mistakes. Motorists in America
> > > routinely kill tens of thousands per year.

> > > (However, that's does NOT give credence to the "bicycling is
> > > dangerous!!!" nonsense. Most of those killed by motorists are
> > > motorists. Only a very few are cyclists.)

> > > In summary: People will not be perfect in their obedience to laws,
> > > whether they are on foot, on two wheels or on four (or more). Yes,
> > > the legal system does generally concentrate on motorist violations,
> > > but that's only logical, since motorist offenses are the ones that do
> > > almost all the harm.

> > > - Frank Krygowski

> > I've thought we'd never agree on something.

> > What is it we disagree on? Oh, that riding a bike in traffic is safe.
> > But how can it be if drivers routinely ignore the laws, or simply
> > there are no good laws?

> You confuse disobedience with danger.
>
> To evaluate disobedience of laws related to a given activity, you
> observe people and see how often they disobey the laws applying to
> that activity.
>
> To evaluate the danger of an activity, you observe how much time
> people spend in the activity, and you count how often they are killed
> or seriously injured per unit time.
>
> Bicyclists are very, very rarely killed or seriously injured. Again:
> roughly fifteen MILLION miles of cycling per fatality. Alternately,
> dedicated riders that do over 2500 miles per year, including commuting
> in traffic, average 11 years between accidents that cost a mere $50.
>
> Most people are pretty inept at cycling. But still, they don't get
> seriously injured or killed. The most typical bike injury is a
> skinned knee.
>
> Even someone as fearful as you should be able to deal with the
> occasional skinned knee. So again: quit whining.
>
> - Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

I still remember that guy that cited statistics like you, only to be
killed by a drunk driver.

And how about cell phone users?

On Apr 21, 10:36 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to mean
> > that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> > said, "You can eat my banana!"

> Which is a really long, labored way for Commandante Banana to admit he
> doesn't have a cite for lions eating bananas in the bible.- Hide quoted text -

You can read into the Bible whatever you want. And since the lion...

(Isa. 11:6): The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard
shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the
fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

"The Peaceable Kingdom paintings portray a delicate balance of
difficult and unresolved issues. The lion-ego poses the greatest
threat. The wild animals are seemingly domesticated and brought into
line with loving kindness."

http://www2.gol.com/users/quakers/Hicks_Peaceable_Kingdom.htm

doesn't eat the other animals, he must be indeed a vegetarian.

On Apr 22, 4:41 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <b2374083-476a-4f17-8aa1-828409483...@e67g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>         ComandanteBanana <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Interesting fact is that the Rich and Powerful surround themselves
> > with statues of lions and claim the lion in their family crest, so it
> > is that the lion is their cherished symbol. (They hate the monkey --
> > their real self-- for the same reason.)

> Heraldric fauna also includes pigs, unicorns,
> stags, bears, and even the good ol' Raleigh heron.

Yeah, but never ever a monkey. Why do they hate the monkey so much???

> > And what's the symbol for the down and out? The monkeys, of course.
> > So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to mean
> > that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the beast, he
> > said, "You can eat my banana!"

> If anything, fat-assed SUVs should be likened
> more to hippopotami, which are far more dangerous
> critters than lions.  Hippos' dietary preferences
> may lean more toward potamogetons than bananas.

I like to compare them to dinosaurs: big, stupid and on the road to
extinction... ;)

On Apr 22, 8:52 am, ComandanteBanana <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Apr 21, 7:25 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Even someone as fearful as you should be able to deal with the
> > occasional skinned knee. So again: quit whining.

> I still remember that guy that cited statistics like you, only to be
> killed by a drunk driver.

Yes, and I've had at least four friends killed while riding in motor
vehicles. I've had four close family members seriously injured in
car crashes, one of whom is mildly crippled for life.

For every bicycling fatality in the US, there are roughly 8 pedestrian
fatalities, roughly 60 motorist fatalities, and roughly 1000 heart
fatalities.

Yet you whine ONLY about the rare bike fatalities, or the
possibilities thereof. You go out of your way to make cycling sound
much more dangerous than it is.

Great way to discourage people from ever riding a bike. Who pays your
salary? Is it General Motors, or is it Exxon?

- Frank Krygowski

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Amy Blankenship" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> As an erstwhile guardian of felines, I can
>>> assert they do eat grass.

>> What happened to your cats?

> They mostly died of old age. One got run over
> by a car. My last one was lost by a co-worker
> who was supposed to temporarily take care of him
> when I suddenly had to find new digs. That was
> especially heartbreaking, and I've since sworn-off
> any stewardship of fellow animules. Buster was
> a great guy. I got him from a woman who bred
> Siameses, but one of her females went a little
> wayward and subsequently gave birth to a bunch of
> mixed blessings. Buster was the first one to leave
> the litter.

> He also hated being condescended-to or belittled, and
> true to his Siamese genes, he'd go to take out the eyeball
> of anybody who dis'd him. So he got a rep for being
> vicious, but in CatLand a bunch of people got reps for
> being insufferable jerks.

Cats have a dry sense of humor. Not many people understand them...

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On Apr 21, 10:36 pm, "ZBicyclist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> So the statement that the lions eat banana could be understood to
>>> mean that they'll be humbled. When the monkey was cornered by the
>>> beast, he said, "You can eat my banana!"

>> Which is a really long, labored way for Commandante Banana to admit
>> he doesn't have a cite for lions eating bananas in the bible.- Hide
>> quoted text -

> You can read into the Bible whatever you want. And since the lion...
>
> (Isa. 11:6): The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard
> shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the
> fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
>
> "The Peaceable Kingdom paintings portray a delicate balance of
> difficult and unresolved issues. The lion-ego poses the greatest
> threat. The wild animals are seemingly domesticated and brought into
> line with loving kindness."
>
> http://www2.gol.com/users/quakers/Hicks_Peaceable_Kingdom.htm
>
> doesn't eat the other animals, he must be indeed a vegetarian.

The Peaceable Kingdom paintings have never been officially recognized as
part of the Bible.

More's the pity ;)