Where there's a downhill...

SpeakRed

Feb 1, 2008
So I went out for my first "solo" ride in a long time the other day (I hurt my knees in a backpacking accident back in April, just got back into the swing of things), and can't begin to tell you how trilled I was slippin' onto my saddle. I was a bit nervous at first, being that I'm still a complete newbie and didn't get a chance to genuinely "bond" with my bike before the accident. Now here I was setting off for a much needed ride, all alone....

I'll admit, I was really really nervous. Riding with traffic still makes my heart do the hokey-pokey, and here in good 'ole Las Cruces some of the bike lanes are a bit shakey.

I'm riding along, finally finding a decent road and shaking the near-cars jitters...enjoying the wind at my back and pep in my cadence...when I realize: Wait, I have to ride back home!

I'd been enjoying the soft downhill coasts and mind escaping scenery that I forgot to keep track of my distance. Needless to say, I learned that where there's a downhill, there's bound to be an uphill on the way home the hard way :eek:

Anyway, I know it's not too exciting to you vets, but I thought I'd share quite a new experience from a newbie perspective...Hope the week was a good one!

Glad you're enjoying being back on the bike! The traffic jitters do get better with time, but it's always a good thing to have a little fear, I think... keeps us on our toes and keeps us safe.

By the end of the summer, those big hills will seem like nothing to you -- keep up the good pedaling! :)