Where there's smoke...there's no cyclists!

dan4923

Jul 5, 2005
Is everybody else currently covered in a haze of smoke? I'm up in central Vic and had planned to go for an early morning ride. Got outside, took one breath and my asthma kicked in.Did anyone else have this problem? I seemed to notice there were fewer cyclists than usual out and about.

It's like that all the time here. I need my inhaler everytime I ride on a working day. Weekends are slightly better.

Auckland has more smog than London, a much bigger city. This is due to poor standards for car emissions.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Auckland has more smog than London, a much bigger city. This is due to poor standards for car emissions.
really? Jee, that's a bit surprising considering there's not really a zillion people there.

I live right at the base of Mt Dandenong here in Melbourne.

I assume its still there, I can't see it through the smoke though it seems to be a little clearer now than earlier this morning.

I'm not out in it, and well 37 deg C doesn't inspire me either, though its usually 5-10 degC cooler in the hills.

I must say the roads have been pretty quiet today, not many riders out in the smoke and well there is always that thought in the back of your mind that Mt Dandenong might start burning..... fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Cheers
Ant

I didn't start in the local crits this morning because of the smoke....rode around a little & could feel the smoke in my throat & decided it wasn't gunna be any better at 170bpm+ & anyway.... I can find other more exciting ways to injure my health......:D....plenty still raced, but there was more than a few that commented after, that they wished they hadn't!

WrxAnt said:
there is always that thought in the back of your mind that Mt Dandenong might start burning.....
Especially when you live up here... can't see a bloody thing today.

Our crits were cancelled Hitchy... think I'll spend a couple of hrs on the trainer later.
Good decision pulling out.

I went for a roll down Beach Rd early this morning & it was very hazy, and you could taste smoke but I wasn't sure if it was real or just a continuation of my night on the turps...:D

Hitchy said:
I didn't start in the local crits this morning because of the smoke....rode around a little & could feel the smoke in my throat & decided it wasn't gunna be any better at 170bpm+ & anyway.... I can find other more exciting ways to injure my health......:D....plenty still raced, but there was more than a few that commented after, that they wished they hadn't!
Coburg Crits?

dan4923 said:
Is everybody else currently covered in a haze of smoke? I'm up in central Vic and had planned to go for an early morning ride. Got outside, took one breath and my asthma kicked in.Did anyone else have this problem? I seemed to notice there were fewer cyclists than usual out and about.
The smoke is back today, you can see the EPA's pollution figures at:
http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/air/bulletins/aqbhour.asp

Does anyone have any advice about training when there is so much smoke in the air?
Is this (wood) smoke any better or worse than the equivalent PM10 reading emitted by diesel engines?
(PM10 = pollution for particles less than 10 microns in diameter)

MelbRider said:
The smoke is back today, you can see the EPA's pollution figures at:
http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/air/bulletins/aqbhour.asp

Does anyone have any advice about training when there is so much smoke in the air?
Is this (wood) smoke any better or worse than the equivalent PM10 reading emitted by diesel engines?
(PM10 = pollution for particles less than 10 microns in diameter)
==========================================================
Trees and other 'natural' things have a lot less chemicals in them than diesel and other vehicular pollutants. A small blessing.

xxamr_corpxx said:
It's like that all the time here. I need my inhaler everytime I ride on a working day. Weekends are slightly better.

============================================================
Parts of Auckland are certainly worse(like the intersection of Khyber Pass and Mountain roads or Newton road and k road but in general(from what I've read and know about population density and air flows it isn't as bad.
One only needs to read re the deaths in London related to air pollutants to see it's worse.
Good on you for commuting = one less car.:)
I used to and would if I could now.