where to begin???

atomship47

Aug 21, 2006
i'm breaking several bb nettiquette rules by starting a new thread with this. BUT, i'm new here and this new post gives me a chance to consolidate my questions into one thread. oh, and it gives me a chance to get some attention.

i'm new to cycling. familiar story...i've tried various "methods" for getting in shape. seems like they have always caused more health problems than they remedy. so far, cycling has been the exception. i never realized it would become part of my "being" rather than just a healthy activity.

i started cycling a few months ago. it didn't take long (or, rather, it took too long!) to realize my huffy "blade" just wasn't going to do the trick. i had no idea what i wanted or needed so i went "cheap" when i upgraded. i was able to get a diamondback wildwood that was left over from last year for $200.

ok, intro fluff aside, here are some areas where i need help. i would appreciate any advice or comments....

where do i position my feet on the pedals? in the begining, i tended to put the arches of my feet over the center of the pedal...especially uphill or against the wind. now, i've discovered i can keep a steadier cadence by placing the balls of my feet over the center of the pedal. however, sometimes i slip or my left heel brushes against the rear spokes. should i go with toe clips or upgrade my pedals?

also, my bike seems to be "front-end" heavy. for example, when i let go of the handlebars (not that i do it a lot), the front wheel will rather drastically turn to one side. is there a "normal" set up for the balance of the front wheel?

and speaking of the handlebars, how high and close to my torso should they be set? i have carpal tunnel and the more weight on my wrists/handlebars, the more my cts acts up during rides (riding gloves help some). i went with a front-suspension bike for the this reason as well. i didn't really like the bobbing in the begining but i've had several knee surgeries so i don't stand up to pedal very often which seems to keep the bobbing to a minimum.

i tend to ride 15 - 30 miles per day. i'm diabetic so longer rides are difficult. besides my blood sugar level dropping, diabetes restricts the circulation in my feet. so, i experience numbness and tingling in my rear on down to my toes (i have a gel saddle with a suspension post).

keeping in mind that i started riding for my health, i actually prefer that my ride be not very efficient. i enjoy the workout of a harder ride. currently, about 98% of my rides are on rural roads or paved paths. sometimes i'm on smooth dirt paths, gravel or wood chips (a heck of a workout!). my goal on each ride is to average as close to 15mph as i can. so far, my best is about 14.5 mph.

with all this in mind, what am i doing wrong? what am i doing right? does it sound like i should make some equipment upgrades to my bike or upgrade my bike altogether? does it sound like i should stick with hybrids/comfort bikes?

lastly, is biking as life-threatening near you as it is around these midwestern car and truck drivers????!!!

thanks in advance for your help and i apologize for my rambling and poor nettiquette.

Well here's my 2 cents.
Pedals: Yes, the balls of your feet over the center of the pedal is the correct position. As for slipping or the heel rub you mentioned, Toe clips are one solution. Going clipless is a better solution. If you don't want to spend a lot now but may want to go clipless later. Try Shimano pedals PD-M324. these have cages on one side (for sneakers) and an SPD clipless set-up on the other side. I find the steel cage give me a pretty good grip, but my feet still moved around esp. on the bumps. You can get them for a good price on Ebay.

The "front end heavy" issue sounds like something is really messed up there. If you are balanced (verticle) the wheel sould not turn, could be either in the steering or the wheel installation. I can't give you more info on that. you can read the other threads to see if anyone else had this problem. Or go to your local bike shop and get it checked out.

Handebar position: To cut down on the weight on your hands you have two choices. Move the seat BACK. I know this sounds wrong, but moving the seat back changes your center of gravity relative to your pedals. Moving the seat back will result in your legs pushing you back in the seat and will reduce the amount of weight on your hands. Move the seat back in 1/2 cm increments until you achive a good balance. Second choice: raise the handlebars (this could cost more as some bikes don't allow this and you would need to buy parts.

Numbness: Have you tried padded shorts. I use them and they make a big difference. You may also want to try adjusting the seat angle.

As for your blood sugar level dropping, You may want to try drinking something other than just water. On my long rides to keep my salt levels up, I drink a mixture of 70% water, 30% gatorade. But you know better than me what would be good for sugar levels. I also bring slimfast cookie bars (peanut, chocolate melts). I get hungry after about 15 miles.

When making any adjustments to your bike, don't adjust more than one thing at a time and only in small increments. Otherwise you won't know which change worked, and which one made it worse.

You may want to upgrade your bike eventually. My last bike was a hybrid and I upgraded to a road bike last month. But try making adjustments first. And the pedal upgrade can be transfered to a newer bike when the time comes. You'll find the cleated shoes to be the more expensive item (DON'T buy them online. You have to try them on in person for a good fit).

As for biking being dangerous: Every day is different. Some drivers race ahead of you only to make a slow right turn. Today I had a guy yell out of his window telling me I should be riding on the sidewalk. 20-25 mph down hill ion a sidewalk?:eek: I guess he doesn't realize in some towns riding on the sideWALK is illegal. Guess that's why he was only the passenger in that car. (not smart enough to drive a car or a bike):D . But I find most drives are ok. I find the ones who are over-cautious to be the most trouble-some. Will that old lady ever pass me?. Oh, I find the truck drivers to be the best drivers around here in New England.

Good Biking
RussB

thanks for the info. i've got my eye on some padded shorts at amazon.com. i started mixing 2/3 water with 1/3 oj. that helps some. i've also learned that i take a big risk if i start my ride when my bg is under 100. as a result, i have to start preparing for a ride a couple hours ahead of time.

i think i'll adjust my handlebars some to get a better balance on the front tire.

i'll start searching ebay for pedal upgrades.

thanks again for the help!