Where to begin..

frankie3792

Jun 8, 2011
Hey everyone, I took a year off from cycling since I am a pre-med student and just didn't have the time since last summer to ride at all =( but now that finals are over I'm looking forward to getting out on the road. I biked all last summer and averaged about 25 miles per day at 17-18mph. I am curious though as to what I should do this summer as far as a workout routine goes? Anyone have any suggestions on good ways to improve? Also, what are some other cross-training exercises if I can't run due to a bum knee?

Thanks!

Hey frankie, I'm gonna risk the cheeky answer and just say ride 4 or 5 times a week for a total of 7-10 hours. A little more if you plan on doing any entry level racing. Include some hills for built in intensity, if possible ride with some friends who can challenge you once in awhile, and try one ride a week of at least 3 hours to help build endurance. If you have been somewhat inactive, just riding for an hour or two a few times a week will show you quite a bit of improvement.

Consistent, moderate intensity riding (with sprinklings of high efforts) is usually all it takes to get in good riding shape, and depending on genetics maybe even entry level racing shape. IMO structured plans are for folks who are hitting plateus, have specific racing or performance goals, etc. Just ride as much as you can and enjoy your break from school. As far as cross training do whatever you want. I have done some running, weight trained for years, tons of different martial arts - for me the only activities that translated into strength on the bike, were activities (wait for it)... on the bike.

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]You might want to seriously consider using Heart Rate Zone targets to build your burst and stamina. I believe this type of training seriously boosts performance. During the first month I did it, I saw about a 40% increase in my endurance and 1/4 the time it took to recover from a boost.[/COLOR][/SIZE]