Where to buy a Garmin Edge 305

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by WrxAnt, Apr 24, 2006.

1. joelireland

joelireland New Member

Scotty,

Go direct from this website: http://geoman.xrayaudio.com/

He is good. Good delivery times. Be aware though that it won't have an ozzie power point on the charger (but will take 240V). You will just have to get a cheap universal (or USA-AUS) plug adapter from a hardware store. Although I haven't actually needed my charger as I have just charged it off USB.

Tell him I sent ya!

Cheers

Joel

2. geo.man

geo.man New Member

Hi,

I'm the "Geo.Man" you are talking about (thanks Joel!). I noticed traffic from this thread to our site and I just wanted to personally thank all of you and say that we are thrilled to ship to Australia. In fact, we shipped several so far this week and that seems to be the trend.

Most folks are receiving theirs in about 5 days. As mentioned, they come with US power adapters but I've never used mine anyway. I always charge off the USB port of my computer.

Once more, thank you very much for your recognition. If you have ANY questions at all, just let me know.

Best regards,

Geo.Man

3. miyata610

miyata610 New Member

geo.man is $us295 + $us17 postage = $us312.

at 0.75 that is $A416.

Not bad.

I'll wait for sub $400.

:)

4. ozbiker2

ozbiker2 New Member

The freeware is called SportTracks
    I just loaded peter's gpx file into it and it worked flawlessly. Very cool!! Street map of Melbourne and his cycle route plus satellite image of the route too. Complicated :eek: Is that an escape route :D

5. miyata610

miyata610 New Member

I just tried that too... I'm impressed!

Great satellite images and the street maps are good too.

So was this a trip from home to work?

It finishes just near Swinburne right?

6. WrxAnt

WrxAnt New Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the file!

You work within 100m of my office it seems!!!

Definitely sounds like this edge 305 is what I want :)

Cheers
    WrxAnt

7. Outdoorgaz

Outdoorgaz New Member

"I'm from Melbourne (presently living in Taswegia) but I looked at johnny appleseed and almost bought one from him - great unit - but i held off because i wanted to be able to use it not only for cycling (its main purpose) but for navigation also (i.e. get coordintes off the unit) and with the firmware that came on it you couldn't do this. But i kept looking into it and found that the upgraded firmware you could do this. "

Where did you find the firmware update? Not being able to obtain a coordinate off the unit has stopped me getting one.
    Thanks

8. peterlip

peterlip New Member

Yes, from home to work. I work just down the road from Swinburne.

The firmware can be downloaded from the Garmin website, http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1243.
    You can get the coordinates of your current position, but its a hidden in one of the menus.

9. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

I ended up ordering one for myself too

On it's way.

I'll let you know when it arrives and how I find it...

Scotty

10. peterlip

peterlip New Member

For those of you(s) who have one, what's your battery life like?

I've only have mine for a couple of weeks, and I know that lithium-ion batteries take a few charges before they settle, but I'm a little concerned that my 90 minute commute seems to be using almost half the charge. Maybe I shouldn't charge it after every ride? Is the battery monitor accurate?
    The manual/website claims 10-12 hours. ATB last year was around 7 hours riding time, which equated to around close to 10 hours elapsed time, that puts me right on the limit.

11. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Mine hasn't arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow or Friday) but, my stupid mobile battery does the same. After a few hours, it will tell me it's at 50% but 3 days later it is still going. Best bet would be to simply run it down and count the hours....

Scotty

12. peterlip

peterlip New Member

Found a forum at the MotionBased web site. One guy said that he started a ride with 1/4 left. After an hour it started to complain with "low battery", but it lasted another 4 hours. That sounds promising.
    Another guy talked about using 4 x AA batteries to make a recharger, which is an alternative. Like that idea, I asked for more details about that one.
    I'll do some battery testing over the next few days...

13. ozbiker2

ozbiker2 New Member

Hi all. Got my Edge 305 at last. Good fun to play with :D
    Here's a warning. If you update the GPS Chipset firmware make sure you do it with the WebUpdater. The CommandLine updater from the Garmin website will fail and render the GPS chipset non-functional. If this happens to you you can fix it with the WebUpdater (after you get your heart rate back under control!!!).
    Updating the Unit firmware with the c/l updater worked just fine, but if you have installed the WebUpdater then you may as well use it since it is a lot friendlier.
    The latest versions are 2.70 for the Unit and 2.70 for the Chipset (mine was supplied with 2.40 for the Unit and 2.30 for the Chipset). The Chipset firmware upgrade is worthwhile since it adds coordinate displays to waypoints and goto locations.

14. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Jealous,

Still waiting for mine.

How long did your's take to arrive? Damn postal services :)

Will heed your advice - thanks.

Scotty

15. ozbiker2

ozbiker2 New Member

I,ve got a prototype pcb job going in in a couple of weeks for a customer so I'm going to add a row of small pcb's to the panel which will implement an auxilliary power management circuit for the Edge.
    Problem with the Edge is the limited run time - 11 1/2 hours - which is ok for training rides but not for long rides, such as Audax. It's not very practical to stop for 2 hours at a control waitng for the Edge to get charged.
    The best approach is a buck/boost SMPS as this will enable the unit to "suck the external batteries dry" as well as enabling a wide input voltage range to match any desired chemistry.
    The supplied wall wart is good for 400mA which aint much, so a low power smps shrink wrapped into the power cable is easy to achieve. Power cables are available from WES for about $8 - mini usb one end and type A other end - cut off the big end and connect to the smps - simple!!
    I'll let you know when it's ready. If it works to spec then anyone handy with smt assembly is welcome to buy pcb's until I run out - I only need two for myself.

16. ozbiker2

ozbiker2 New Member

Everything is ssssllllooowwwwwww when you are waiting for your "self administered" christmas present ;)
    I ordered and paid by direct bank transfer on Monday and received it Wednesday of the following week - ordered in Oz but shipped by USPS from o'seas. Only one irate email because they did not answer all my questions in the first email, which is something of a record for me, so that has to be good :rolleyes:

17. scotty72

scotty72 New Member

Yeah, I know that feeling.

I ordered it last Friday (today thurs) so I guess I may have a few more days to wait.

I can imagine it is sitting at the International Mail Centre at Granville while Aust Post staff contemplate their weekend at the footy (I used to work for parcel post, so I have a good idea about it).

Scotty

18. ozbiker2

ozbiker2 New Member

I've looked at Mapsource. Seems a bit of a minefield of options and barely defined features. The help file for the Training application bundled with the Edge is brief to the point of useless - says to use Mapsource - end of story!!

All I want is the Oz maps, not the other dozens of features to support gps's with map memory, voice prompting, route optimisation, etc (at $400++) What product did you purchase?

19. peterlip

peterlip New Member

Have a look at the free one people talked about earlier in this post.
    I got MapSource for $170. Integrates well into Training center. Used outside of training center, you can search for any street or feature in Australia. It has a lot of businesses, parks, schools, etc in the map detail. It's actually better than it looks...

20. CycleRon

CycleRon New Member

Hi guy's

I"ve been looking at this GPS for a couple days, and have some concerns whether it will do what I would like. I'm thinking of using it on the GVBR, would it be able to record the whole ride or would it have to be saved some how. The other concern is the battery life, where to recharge batteries or use spares.
    Any suggestioins would be of help. I klnow it will be of some hel;p preparing for the ride.

Ron