Where to buy CHEAP wheel?

Cusp

Sep 17, 2006
Hello,

sooo I decided to scratch the idea about upgrading my wheels and using my OEM rear wheel for the trainer ... and just buy a REALLY cheap rear wheel. (I want to buy a compact crank with the difference :) )

Unfortunately - I can't find a solo rear wheel for under - say - $50. Ebay, craigslist nothing.

Seeing if you guys have any great websites or personal stock that you want to get rid of.

Thanks!

You are going to pay dearly just to get it shipped to you. Wheels are second only to complete bikes and framesets for shipping costs:( .

This would be an excellent opportunity to try your hand at wheelbuilding. Cheap 700c rim, tiagra hub, straight guage SS spokes and the nipples that come with them. Would cost something like $60, so not bad. $100 buys you a great training wheel all round and $200 can buy you a top-end wheel.

Go to your LBS, explain your situation, and ask to look at their supplier catalogues. You'll see options of nut vs. quick release, alloy vs. steel. A basic QR alloy wheel would be about US$45 - cheaper for steel or non-QR (i.e., nuts). I got a front and back 27" set this way for $100 Canadian.

melslur said:
Go to your LBS, explain your situation, and ask to look at their supplier catalogues. You'll see options of nut vs. quick release, alloy vs. steel. A basic QR alloy wheel would be about US$45 - cheaper for steel or non-QR (i.e., nuts). I got a front and back 27" set this way for $100 Canadian.
Yeahhh - I'm gonna visit my LBS tomorrow.

BTW - loveeeee 1upUSA bicycle trainer!!!