Where to buy MSG

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by iarwain, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. iarwain

    iarwain Guest

    I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    entirely?

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "iarwain" <[email protected]> wrote

    >I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

    Well, I bought some from Penzey's online, so it is available.
    However, and I will be immediately and severely reprimanded if
    I am wrong, but I thought Accent was MSG?

    nancy

  3. Nancy Young wrote on 19 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > "iarwain" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > >I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

    > Well, I bought some from Penzey's online, so it is available.
    > However, and I will be immediately and severely reprimanded if
    > I am wrong, but I thought Accent was MSG?
    >
    > nancy

    Close enough to make no nevermind.

    --
    -Alan

  4. jake

    jake Guest

    iarwain wrote:

    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    Sometimes you can find it as Ve Tsin and I believe there are other
    names, too. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. So maybe reading labels
    will help. It is a white powder.

    It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
    for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
    feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

  5. jay

    jay Guest

  6. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    iarwain wrote:
    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    If you're feeling flush you can buy Accent. For a lot less cabbage you
    can purchase MSG on line from various venders, including Penzeys. Or
    check your neighborhood ethnic markets, they typically carry no-name
    MSG in one or two pound bulk plastic containers for even less cash and
    no shipping... look in the bulk spice section.

    Sheldon

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    iarwain wrote:
    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it?

    Not to my knowledge. Last I heard they made more than 1 million tons
    of it per year. Look for Ajinomoto or Accent in your grocery store.
    It's usually shelved with or near the spices. Sometimes near the
    baking supplies. Full name is monosodium glutamate.

    > I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    It's not only not banned but there is no maximum daily intake set for
    it by the FDA or the major international health organizations. A small
    percentage of people have a sort of allergic reaction (not really an
    allergy, I think, but it behaves like that) to it. If you and your
    family don't, then don't worry about it. If you were allergic you'd
    also have to keep track of a couple dozen very commonly used foods and
    additives that contain it. -aem

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On 19 Feb 2006 13:45:27 -0800, iarwain wrote:

    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    Look for the product called "Accent". It's a round, red and white
    cardboard type container.
    http://www.bgfoods.com/accent/accent_products.asp

    This is interesting...
    http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm
    http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/msg.html

  10. alg

    alg Guest

    "iarwain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    I go to my local Asian food store and buy Ajinomoto MSG in a bag - far
    cheaper than Accent. I keep a salt shaker filled with a ~70/30% mixture of
    salt/MSG.

    Info on Ajinomoto MSG
    http://www.ajiusafood.com/_zCommon/FramePage.asp?P=MSG

  11. Harriet Neal

    Harriet Neal Guest

    "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > iarwain wrote:
    >
    >> I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    >> find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    >> unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    >> some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    >> my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    >> Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    >> entirely?
    >>

    > Sometimes you can find it as Ve Tsin and I believe there are other names,
    > too. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. So maybe reading labels will
    > help. It is a white powder.
    >
    > It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
    > for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
    > feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

    yeah, look out for the "B" or "C" rating card in the window..

    Harriet & critters

  12. jake

    jake Guest

    Harriet Neal wrote:

    > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>iarwain wrote:
    >>

    >>>I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    >>>find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    >>>unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    >>>some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    >>>my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    >>>Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    >>>entirely?
    >>>

    >>Sometimes you can find it as Ve Tsin and I believe there are other names,
    >>too. MSG stands for monosodium glutamate. So maybe reading labels will
    >>help. It is a white powder.
    >>
    >>It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
    >>for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
    >>feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

    > yeah, look out for the "B" or "C" rating card in the window..
    >
    > Harriet & critters

    I am sorry, I don't know what that means?

    Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
    Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    "iarwain" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store.

    Ac'cent is the brand name I'm familiar with. I haven't looked for it
    recently though.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-11-2006, Sausage Roll Ups

  14. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:48:52 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I go to my local Asian food store and buy Ajinomoto MSG in a bag - far
    >cheaper than Accent. I keep a salt shaker filled with a ~70/30% mixture of
    >salt/MSG.

    Is this the same Al G. I think it is?

    -sw

  15. "jake" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
    > Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

    Angles and Saxons are both Germanic peoples as are the Nederlanders. The
    reaction to MSG is an individual thing and not a cultural or racial thing.

    Charlie

  16. alg

    alg Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:48:52 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I go to my local Asian food store and buy Ajinomoto MSG in a bag - far
    >>cheaper than Accent. I keep a salt shaker filled with a ~70/30% mixture
    >>of
    >>salt/MSG.

    > Is this the same Al G. I think it is?
    >
    > -sw

    Yes, sir! How the heck are you, Mr. Steve? Well, I hope! Still onward
    through the fog here in Austin. You?

  17. aem

    aem Guest

    jake wrote:
    > Harriet Neal wrote:
    > >>It is NOT unhealthy, glutamtes are natural. you can find them in stocks,
    > >>for instance. I believe that whole thing about Chinese restaurants and
    > >>feeling sick turned out to have been caused by something other than MSG.

    > > yeah, look out for the "B" or "C" rating card in the window..
    > >
    > > Harriet & critters
    > >

    > I am sorry, I don't know what that means?

    Sarcasm referring to getting sick from dirty kitchens. Many localities
    in the U.S. have inspectors who check for cleanliness in restaurants.
    They check kitchens and serving areas and storage areas, score them
    against predetermined criteria and arrive at a rating. Here in L.A. an
    A rating is best, B says they can remain open but need to fix some
    things, and I think C causes at least a brief shutdown and cleanup.
    Not sure about that.

    Interestingly, there have been cultural clashes in this regard, as some
    traditional Chinese practices don't meet local standards. Most
    notably, hanging roasted ducks in the open at room temperature is
    deemed to be unhealthful. Chinese restaurateurs and deli operators
    countered that they'd been doing it that way for hundreds of years
    without a lot of people keeling over. Politicians get involved.
    Some folks on either side get outraged. Other folks find it
    entertaining political theater. Compromises are reached. -aem

  18. George

    George Guest

    iarwain wrote:
    > I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
    > find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
    > unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
    > some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
    > my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
    > Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
    > entirely?

    Don't know about online but I always see it in the Asian markets I visit.

  19. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:46:32 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Is this the same Al G. I think it is?

    >Yes, sir! How the heck are you, Mr. Steve? Well, I hope! Still onward
    >through the fog here in Austin. You?

    I'm back in town again, as you've noticed. Never saw you in RFC
    before (or any group, for that matter ;-) Pretty hostile group,
    eh? You here to watch my back? Some of these people can get
    downright physical, you know. And you know me, always winning
    new friends.

    (e.g. There's this "Jay" guy here who I think is the one who's
    been scurrying around in my bushes and peeking in my windows at
    night. Lemme know if you see him out there, neighbor).

    -sw