Where to buy MSG

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>>Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
>>Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

> Angles and Saxons are both Germanic peoples as are the Nederlanders.

Yet, the term AnglsoSaxon is not typcally used for the Netherlands.

The
> reaction to MSG is an individual thing and not a cultural or racial thing.

The only peopel I have ever heard talk about the supposed dangers of MSG
were North American or Australian. In Holland, it isn't talked about.
That's what I meant by cultural. Doe that clarify things?

aem wrote:

> jake wrote:

>>>yeah, look out for the "B" or "C" rating card in the window..
>>>
>>>Harriet & critters
>>>

>>I am sorry, I don't know what that means?

> Sarcasm referring to getting sick from dirty kitchens. Many localities
> in the U.S. have inspectors who check for cleanliness in restaurants.
> They check kitchens and serving areas and storage areas, score them
> against predetermined criteria and arrive at a rating. Here in L.A. an
> A rating is best, B says they can remain open but need to fix some
> things, and I think C causes at least a brief shutdown and cleanup.
> Not sure about that.

Thank you for the explanation. Here, we only have open or closed.
Although there must be companies that get warnings, too, but the
warnings are not made public.

Anything other then A would be baaaad for business, I would think. I am
surprised it actually exists. If that were my business, the A would be a
top priority,

> Interestingly, there have been cultural clashes in this regard, as some
> traditional Chinese practices don't meet local standards. Most
> notably, hanging roasted ducks in the open at room temperature is
> deemed to be unhealthful. Chinese restaurateurs and deli operators
> countered that they'd been doing it that way for hundreds of years
> without a lot of people keeling over. Politicians get involved.
> Some folks on either side get outraged. Other folks find it
> entertaining political theater. Compromises are reached. -aem

I see Peking duck at room temp here, too. I wonder what the law says
about that. But no deaths gave been reported. Maybe MSG works as a
preservative :)

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:46:32 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Is this the same Al G. I think it is?

>>Yes, sir! How the heck are you, Mr. Steve? Well, I hope! Still onward
>>through the fog here in Austin. You?

> I'm back in town again, as you've noticed. Never saw you in RFC
> before (or any group, for that matter ;-) Pretty hostile group,
> eh? You here to watch my back? Some of these people can get
> downright physical, you know. And you know me, always winning
> new friends.
>
> (e.g. There's this "Jay" guy here who I think is the one who's
> been scurrying around in my bushes and peeking in my windows at
> night. Lemme know if you see him out there, neighbor).
>
> -sw

I don't pop here in too often, but when I do I'll have your back, for sure!
I don't even get out to a.f too much these days - my rants tend to be
political these days, if anything. But it's good hearing from you again.
I'll try to pop into a.f a bit more. We should meet up for some brew & eats
sometime soon. -- al

"alg" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote

>> (e.g. There's this "Jay" guy here who I think is the one who's
>> been scurrying around in my bushes and peeking in my windows at
>> night. Lemme know if you see him out there, neighbor).

> I don't pop here in too often, but when I do I'll have your back, for
> sure!

Let me set you wise, al, steve is setting you up. You have no
chance here, you will be ground up and spit out if you try to
defy us. Just a warning.

nancy

"iarwain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently wanted to try a recipe containing MSG, but I was unable to
> find it in any local grocery store. I then looked online and was
> unable to find a source either. Have they stopped making it? I know
> some people have reported harmful reactions to it, although I remember
> my mother using it on occasion and we never had any trouble with it.
> Is there an online source for it anywhere or has the FDA banned it
> entirely?

Accent is 100% MSG

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:45:03 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Let me set you wise, al, steve is setting you up. You have no
>chance here, you will be ground up and spit out if you try to
>defy us. Just a warning.

No comment, other than "no comment".

-sw

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >>Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
> >>Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

> > Angles and Saxons are both Germanic peoples as are the Nederlanders.

> Yet, the term AnglsoSaxon is not typcally used for the Netherlands.

That's true yet the common useage of "Anglo-Saxon" is also incorrect.
Eitherway my comment is valid.

> The
> > reaction to MSG is an individual thing and not a cultural or racial

thing.

> The only peopel I have ever heard talk about the supposed dangers of MSG
> were North American or Australian.

I don't doubt it for a minute. Americans, Canadians and Australians tend to
be more free to gripe about things than the nice Netherlanders. <smile>

> In Holland, it isn't talked about.
> That's what I meant by cultural. Doe that clarify things?

Yes. I understand what you are saying. But any reaction to MSG is not
cultural. However, as you pointed out, the complaints about MSG are more
common in certain cultures. It is not that the "reaction" to MSG is more
common in certain cultures but, rather, complaining is.

Charlie

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 06:45:03 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Let me set you wise, al, steve is setting you up. You have no
>>chance here, you will be ground up and spit out if you try to
>>defy us. Just a warning.

> No comment, other than "no comment".
>
> -sw

Geez Louise, Steve! What in the world have you been up to since that last
Cook-In over at Sue's place? You didn't mention anything about needing
knives, lead pipes and blackjacks in here.

"alg" <[email protected]> wrote

> Geez Louise, Steve! What in the world have you been up to since that last
> Cook-In over at Sue's place? You didn't mention anything about needing
> knives, lead pipes and blackjacks in here.

Heh, don't worry, I was just trying to live up to steve's pet
name for me.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "alg" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> (e.g. There's this "Jay" guy here who I think is the one who's
>>> been scurrying around in my bushes and peeking in my windows at
>>> night. Lemme know if you see him out there, neighbor).

>> I don't pop here in too often, but when I do I'll have your back, for
>> sure!

> Let me set you wise, al, steve is setting you up. You have no
> chance here, you will be ground up and spit out if you try to
> defy us. Just a warning.
>
> nancy

Whoa, steady on there! I'm sure whatever horrible sort of difference of
opinion you and your mob or syndicate may have with Steve can be easily
resolved via mutual concessions and admissions of remorse. Steve's just a
big ol' teddy bear deep down inside - much like yourself, I'm sure!

There now, don't we all feel a lot better? Give us a big smiley ... and
have a happy day! :)

al

(*whew*)

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:23:57 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Geez Louise, Steve! What in the world have you been up to since that last
>Cook-In over at Sue's place? You didn't mention anything about needing
>knives, lead pipes and blackjacks in here.

The, uh.. "dynamics" of RFC are quite complicated. So complicated
that I'm not even going to begin to explain them unless I'm drunk.
Give me a few more hours...

Most of the light-weights drop out after 24 hours. You won't need
any weapons, just a will to cook, a hard head, and a lot of free
time. Your chances of survival increase 1% with every post, so
hang in there.

Can I interest you in some grilled choate with cojita cheese?
(This is a test...)

ObFood: Thai sweet chili garlic wings, regular 'ol salad, and
choux cream puffs + rum sauce for dessert tonight. My choux
didn't rise very well, so filling them was a little tricky. But
its the taste that counts.

-sw

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:37:59 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Whoa, steady on there! I'm sure whatever horrible sort of difference of
>opinion you and your mob or syndicate may have with Steve can be easily
>resolved via mutual concessions and admissions of remorse.

Hah! Remorse is a sign of weakness and should never be expressed
here. You just kinda look them look at them funny as they walk by
your desk a few times and then in a few days all is forgotten.
Usually.

Have you met Sheldon? Stop in a say hello when you see him. He's
chairman of the welcoming committee and is always passing out
valuable coupons for future purchases.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

> ObFood: Thai sweet chili garlic wings, regular 'ol salad, and
> choux cream puffs + rum sauce for dessert tonight. My choux
> didn't rise very well, so filling them was a little tricky. But
> its the taste that counts.

Cook choux hot at first, about 400 F, they should puff
quickly. Then lower to 350 F until finished. If you
want them really dry poke them in the side with a
knife when they're almost done, then cook a few
minutes longer.

I like them dry for savory profiteroles, not so much
for cream puffs.

I'd like to see your wings recipe if you
get the chance.

--
Reg

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:05:46 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Thai sweet chili garlic wings, regular 'ol salad, and
>> choux cream puffs + rum sauce for dessert tonight. My choux
>> didn't rise very well, so filling them was a little tricky. But
>> its the taste that counts.

>Cook choux hot at first, about 400 F, they should puff
>quickly. Then lower to 350 F until finished. If you
>want them really dry poke them in the side with a
>knife when they're almost done, then cook a few
>minutes longer.

I looked at two recipes for choux, both were pretty much the same.
I used this:

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/breadspatries/r/eclair.htm

After step 2, you end up with a ball of dough in the pan, nothing
that can be cooked for 4 minutes like it says in step 3. I added
2 tablespoons of water at this point and that still didn't work,
so I skipped #3.

I was able to get the "string" mentioned in #5.

>I'd like to see your wings recipe if you
>get the chance.

Deep fry wings, then toss with Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce and a
tablespoon of Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce for added heat. Simple
and very tasty. It's gotta be Mae Ploy brand chili sauce - accept
no substitutes. Nothing gormay about it, sorry ;-)

I don't usually like sweet meat, but this is the exception.

-sw

Steve Wertz wrote:

> I looked at two recipes for choux, both were pretty much the same.
> I used this:
>
> http://frenchfood.about.com/od/breadspatries/r/eclair.htm
>
> After step 2, you end up with a ball of dough in the pan, nothing
> that can be cooked for 4 minutes like it says in step 3. I added
> 2 tablespoons of water at this point and that still didn't work,
> so I skipped #3.
>
> I was able to get the "string" mentioned in #5.

The reason for step 3 is to dry out the dough somewhat. The
dryer it is, the more egg it will take. The more egg, the
more puff.

The amount of drying you need will vary. The four minute
thing is not good advice. Sometimes it needs a minute
or two, sometimes it doesn't need any.

> Deep fry wings, then toss with Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce and a
> tablespoon of Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce for added heat. Simple
> and very tasty. It's gotta be Mae Ploy brand chili sauce - accept
> no substitutes. Nothing gormay about it, sorry ;-)
>
> I don't usually like sweet meat, but this is the exception.

Looks like a good dish for this weekend. Thanks.

--
Reg

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:23:57 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Geez Louise, Steve! What in the world have you been up to since that last
>>Cook-In over at Sue's place? You didn't mention anything about needing
>>knives, lead pipes and blackjacks in here.

> The, uh.. "dynamics" of RFC are quite complicated. So complicated
> that I'm not even going to begin to explain them unless I'm drunk.
> Give me a few more hours...
>
> Most of the light-weights drop out after 24 hours. You won't need
> any weapons, just a will to cook, a hard head, and a lot of free
> time. Your chances of survival increase 1% with every post, so
> hang in there.
>
> Can I interest you in some grilled choate with cojita cheese?
> (This is a test...)
>
> ObFood: Thai sweet chili garlic wings, regular 'ol salad, and
> choux cream puffs + rum sauce for dessert tonight. My choux
> didn't rise very well, so filling them was a little tricky. But
> its the taste that counts.
>
> -sw

Oh, you know me - I'm a drinker, not a fighter. And I don't know nothing
about no grilled choate with cojita cheese. (I fail!)

The wings and choux puffs sound great! Awfully ambitious for a Monday
night, aren't we? I just did a simple cheese bread in the ol' Zojirushi to
go with left-overs ... chicken soup and chicken a la king.

You're right, it's the taste that counts.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:49:25 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>The amount of drying you need will vary. The four minute
>thing is not good advice. Sometimes it needs a minute
>or two, sometimes it doesn't need any.

As soon as I put in the flour, it sucked up all the moisture. And
I didn't let the water boil away in step 1 as the butter had
already been melted in the micro.

Would baking soda help it rise more?

-sw

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:26:44 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oh, you know me - I'm a drinker, not a fighter. And I don't know nothing
>about no grilled choate with cojita cheese. (I fail!)

It was a spelling test. You passed :)

> Wings and choux puffs sound great! Awfully ambitious for a Monday
>night, aren't we? I just did a simple cheese bread in the ol' Zojirushi to
>go with left-overs ... chicken soup and chicken a la king.

I had a Zojirushi, but it was a rice cooker. I take it you did
cheese bread in something other than a rice cooker.

>You're right, it's the taste that counts.

And I know you have good taste, at least in beer and that BBQ you
brought last time.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Does it help to add that MSG has never had a bad name in The
> Netherlands- it seems to be an Anglosaxon scare (to me0?

When I was living in Germany in the late 70ies I knew a couple of people who
used to get migraine type headaches from ingesting MSG.

Apparently there's a certain percentage of people who are allergic to it in
this way. Funnily enough, I haven't met anyone else with that problem since,
even though I now live in a predominantly Anglosaxon country :)

-P.

[email protected] says...

> Interestingly, there have been cultural clashes in this regard, as some
> traditional Chinese practices don't meet local standards. Most
> notably, hanging roasted ducks in the open at room temperature is
> deemed to be unhealthful. Chinese restaurateurs and deli operators
> countered that they'd been doing it that way for hundreds of years
> without a lot of people keeling over. Politicians get involved.
> Some folks on either side get outraged. Other folks find it
> entertaining political theater. Compromises are reached. -aem

<chuckle>

Once politicians (and often 'senior civil servants') get involved, things often
turn into custard.

Here in New Zealand, for instance, the authorities at some point got hold of
the idea that pasteurizing milk is A Good Thing. Henceforce, they made it
illegal for any cheese to be manufactured from un-pasturized milk (with the
argument that this was to prevent listeria - which is BS because listeria gets
into cheese at the *other* end of the process, but never mind). They have put
cheese factories out of business because their receipes no longer worked; Dutch
and Swiss boutique cheesemakers are not allowed to use traditional recipes ...
this has been going on since before the 80ies when I moved here, and they are
absolutely immovable about it. Compromises will not be reached. <sigh>

If there's one thing I miss here, it's good European cheese.

-P.