Where to buy MSG

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:49:25 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>The amount of drying you need will vary. The four minute
>>thing is not good advice. Sometimes it needs a minute
>>or two, sometimes it doesn't need any.

> As soon as I put in the flour, it sucked up all the moisture.

But it actually didn't. It looked like it, but what hadn't happened yet
is hydration of the flour. That takes a little time. The flour needs to
take up as much water as it can actually absorb. That's less than it
looks like in this step, and the batter needs to be cooked to get rid of
the raw flour taste and texture.

It means, in function, that you have too much water in the pot. So, the
direction to cook it a bit. That's necessary to get rid of some of the
moisture and promote hydration. The dough ball that forms needs to be
smeared and stirred and generally messed with in the further cooking to
accomplish several chemical and physical things. I understand that it's
like trying to stir modeling clay, but have faith. Stir doggedly and
form that crust in the bottom of the pan, like Julia says, URL below.

> And
> I didn't let the water boil away in step 1 as the butter had
> already been melted in the micro.

No matter. The amount that would have been lost in the boiling is trivial.

> Would baking soda help it rise more?

Not likely. It's not a matrix like a biscuit or quick bread, it's
hollow, so nothing to support the CO2 the soda gives off.

My suggestion is to forget "fixing" the recipe and follow it exactly one
time. Your addition of *more* water was exactly 180° out of synch with
what needed to be done. It's really fairly simple, and once you do it
correctly the first time, the whole thing will snap into place for you.
It'll become one of those "of course" things.

Here's a fine tutorial from Julia, complete with recipes:
<http://tinyurl.com/lqye2>

I do it on the stove through the stirring/drying stage, and then dump it
into my KitchenAid fitted with the paddle. Low speed because you don't
want to incorporate air into the batter. Let it run for a minute or two
to cool the batter down a bit, so the eggs don't cook when you dump them
in, one by one. Add one egg at a time and let the machine run for 30
seconds or more - as much as a minute per egg - to make sure it's evenly
dispersed. Pipe and bake per directions.

Filling is done by either of two methods - a filling tube poked in one
end and a pastry cream piped in ( do it this way for creme patissiere);
or, by cutting them in half horizontally and spooning the filling in (I
do ice cream this way).

Pastorio

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:49:25 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>The amount of drying you need will vary. The four minute
> >>thing is not good advice. Sometimes it needs a minute
> >>or two, sometimes it doesn't need any.

> > As soon as I put in the flour, it sucked up all the moisture.

> But it actually didn't. It looked like it, but what hadn't happened yet
> is hydration of the flour. That takes a little time. The flour needs to
> take up as much water as it can actually absorb. That's less than it
> looks like in this step, and the batter needs to be cooked to get rid of
> the raw flour taste and texture.

Couldn't agree more! It really does need those four or five minutes even
when you are sure it doesn't. I've been making a lot of pate choux lately
for gnocchi and gougere and most recently profiteroles. I follow the
formula and it always works now. For entertaining it always seems to
impress and is so delicious!

> It means, in function, that you have too much water in the pot. So, the
> direction to cook it a bit. That's necessary to get rid of some of the
> moisture and promote hydration. The dough ball that forms needs to be
> smeared and stirred and generally messed with in the further cooking to
> accomplish several chemical and physical things. I understand that it's
> like trying to stir modeling clay, but have faith. Stir doggedly and
> form that crust in the bottom of the pan, like Julia says, URL below.

<snip of spot on advice for brevity>

> Here's a fine tutorial from Julia, complete with recipes:
> <http://tinyurl.com/lqye2>

Thanks for the URL.

> I do it on the stove through the stirring/drying stage, and then dump it
> into my KitchenAid fitted with the paddle. Low speed because you don't
> want to incorporate air into the batter. Let it run for a minute or two
> to cool the batter down a bit, so the eggs don't cook when you dump them
> in, one by one. Add one egg at a time and let the machine run for 30
> seconds or more - as much as a minute per egg - to make sure it's evenly
> dispersed. Pipe and bake per directions.

<another snip for brevity>
> Pastorio

The another nice thing about pate choux is how well it freezes. I finally
broke down and bought an 18 " pastry bag to facilitate making large batches
for freezing. I've got a large bag of gnocchi in the freezer and just use a
handful for dinner here and there. I had some friends stop by recently for
impromptu drinks and I popped a few gougeres from the freezer into the oven.
They were oohing and ahhing about how great these were and wanted to know
where I purchased them. I got great satisfaction out of knowing I hadn't
;-).

Kate

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:26:44 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oh, you know me - I'm a drinker, not a fighter. And I don't know nothing
>>about no grilled choate with cojita cheese. (I fail!)

> It was a spelling test. You passed :)

Oh, for being a lousy speeler, that's amazing! Was that supposed to be
choyate and cojeta? I gotta say, those are fairly obscure in the typical
Anglo setting.

>> Wings and choux puffs sound great! Awfully ambitious for a Monday
>>night, aren't we? I just did a simple cheese bread in the ol' Zojirushi
>>go with left-overs ... chicken soup and chicken a la king.

> I had a Zojirushi, but it was a rice cooker. I take it you did
> cheese bread in something other than a rice cooker.

Yeah, it's a bread machine my mom passed down to me. It's a good'un,
though! I love kitchen gadgets and this certainly qualifies. You can find
'em pretty cheap on eBay, I noticed. Hmm, bread in a rice cooker. In
Hawaii, they used to have something called "manapua", which is a steamed
white flour roll stuffed with char sui pork - yum! Could maybe make an
English pudding in a rice cooker. Nah, sounds too scary...

>>You're right, it's the taste that counts.

> And I know you have good taste, at least in beer and that BBQ you
> brought last time.

I cheated - next time I'd actually *make* something. But in a pinch, Rudy's
doesn't suck. I got a cheap-o electric smoker (coz I'm tired of stoking
wood and tending fire for 8-12 hours), but I haven't worked out acceptable
technique yet - close, but no red ring. Perhaps there's just no substitute
for a good wood-fired smoker.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:52:34 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My suggestion is to forget "fixing" the recipe and follow it exactly one
>time. Your addition of *more* water was exactly 180° out of synch with
>what needed to be done.

Fromt he recipe, it didn't sound like it was supposed to be that
dense ("stirring until smooth"). There was no way this would have
gotten smooth. But in it's defense, it wasn't floury tasting at
all. (The filling was a different story - recipe from same site.
Once it cooled it tasted better though).

Thanks. I'll try cooking it down for the required 4 minutes next
time. And thanks for the second opinion and confirmation, Kate.
The next batch will be frosted, as well. And some filled with ice
cream - French vanilla (cut horizontally lengthwise and filled
sandwich style).

-sw

jake wrote:
> I see Peking duck at room temp here, too. I wonder what the law says
> about that. But no deaths gave been reported. Maybe MSG works as a
> preservative :)

Roasting at 450F and keeping in a clean environment works as a
preservative.

Thank your local health department that the environments stay
relatively clean (as compared to say a duck stall next to a livery
stable in Shanghai in 1554...)

--Blair

> When I was living in Germany in the late 70ies I knew a couple of people who
> used to get migraine type headaches from ingesting MSG.
>
> Apparently there's a certain percentage of people who are allergic to it in
> this way. Funnily enough, I haven't met anyone else with that problem since,
> even though I now live in a predominantly Anglosaxon country :)
>
> -P.
> I wish I remembered where I rad about the MSG scare not being MSG

realted but the health problems turning out t o have a different cause.
Which was dealt with and that's why the reaction isn't heard about anymore.

Anyway, my point was not that the reaciton only happens in certain
cultures. My point was that the reputation of MSG is diiferent in
different cultures.

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:24:12 GMT, "alg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I cheated - next time I'd actually *make* something. But in a pinch, Rudy's
>doesn't suck.

That was the first and only time I've had Rudy's and even though I
was already stuffed, it was pretty damn good IMO.

> I got a cheap-o electric smoker (coz I'm tired of stoking
>wood and tending fire for 8-12 hours), but I haven't worked out acceptable
>technique yet - close, but no red ring. Perhaps there's just no substitute
>for a good wood-fired smoker.

If it's a Brinkman, AKA El Cheapo Brinkman (AKA ECB, or EECB in
your case - Electric), then you can use it with just charcoal.
Take out the element and the rocks, but keep the holes in the
firepan and base lined up. Fill with lump and wood chunks, and
smoke as usual.

The single hole in the side provides for a perfect airflow for the
side-burning "minion method". Light one side of the charcoal. The
charcoal slowly burns from one side to the other, requiring less
tending of the fire.

Tending the fire is half the fun of BBQ, IMO. Stock up on beer
and sit around all day drinking it.

Might want to check out the archives of alt.food.barbecue on the
electric ECB as well, and post any new questions you might have.
Beware: Ignore Kevin, and don't use the words: liquid smoke,
Kingsford, lighter fluid, foil, or oven.

-sw

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote

> I wish I remembered where I rad about the MSG scare not being MSG
> realted but the health problems turning out t o have a different cause.
> Which was dealt with and that's why the reaction isn't heard about

anymore.

Not heard about anymore? It is a regular feature in this newsgroup. If you
haven't heard about it for a while allow me: I have a mild reaction to MSG
if it is used in large amounts as it is now and then by bad cooks.

> Anyway, my point was not that the reaciton only happens in certain
> cultures. My point was that the reputation of MSG is diiferent in
> different cultures.

And your point is still wrong. It is not cultural.....it is biological. Your
last sentence may well be correct.

Charlie

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:52:34 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>My suggestion is to forget "fixing" the recipe and follow it exactly one
>>time. Your addition of *more* water was exactly 180° out of synch with
>>what needed to be done.

> Fromt he recipe, it didn't sound like it was supposed to be that
> dense ("stirring until smooth"). There was no way this would have
> gotten smooth.

Think of it as a kind of culinary poetic license...

It should be dense and it will get smooth. If you have arms like the
Governator.

> But in it's defense, it wasn't floury tasting at
> all. (The filling was a different story - recipe from same site.
> Once it cooled it tasted better though).

You need a good creme patissiere for it. And it needs to be fully cooked
or it tastes like you just licked a blackboard. Fine granularity and an
uncooked flour finish.

> Thanks. I'll try cooking it down for the required 4 minutes next
> time. And thanks for the second opinion and confirmation, Kate.
> The next batch will be frosted, as well. And some filled with ice
> cream - French vanilla (cut horizontally lengthwise and filled
> sandwich style).

And a trickle of chocolate sauce over.

Ahhhhhhhh...

Pastorio