Where to buy touring bike?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by tortoise, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. tortoise

    tortoise New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    I am possibly interested in buying a touring bike such as the Trek 520, or equivalent Cannondale, Fuji or other brands. Is there anyone in Melbourne that actually stocks these sorts of bikes where you can check them out, compare and even test ride them as no bike shops that I have seen seem to have any??

    Tags:

  2. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004
    I saw a couple of nice ones at the new SHM store in the City, at the Queen Vic centre... Think I spotted a Fuji or some such amongst the racks and racks of stuff. They also have couches and a coffee machine!

  3. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > tortoise Wrote:
    >> I am possibly interested in buying a touring bike such as the Trek 520,
    >> or equivalent Cannondale, Fuji or other brands. Is there anyone in
    >> Melbourne that actually stocks these sorts of bikes where you can check
    >> them out, compare and even test ride them as no bike shops that I have
    >> seen seem to have any??

    > I saw a couple of nice ones at the new SHM store in the City, at the
    > Queen Vic centre... Think I spotted a Fuji or some such amongst the
    > racks and racks of stuff. They also have couches and a coffee machine!
    >

    > --
    > eddiec

    Have a good look at the fuji Touring bicycle, I think value for money they
    are a very good buy.

    Ok, I bought a Fuji Touring 3 months ago and haven't looked back, I
    absolutely love it.It's just so comfortable to ride compared to my alum mtb.
    I love steel bikes!! As standard, the fuji touring came in at $1,600 I added
    a few extras like mudguards, computer & bidons for a hundred extra.
    I kinda feel sorry for my poor little mtb now as it looks like I've
    abandoned it. I must take it out and knock the cobwebs off it soon.

    I'm from Sydney and bought mine from Cheeky Monkey Cycles who looked after
    me pretty well, I can't imagine that it would be too hard in Melbourne to
    find touing bikes as there seems to be a larger touring thing down there
    compared to Sydney. Theres not even a touring club here where I think
    Melbourne has at least 2 large clubs.

    Maybe you could contact the clubs and find out where most of their members
    go.

    [email protected] or call eurosolutions on 02 95807171 or fax
    0295851221

    http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=22

    They are the importers of fuji bikes for Australia so they can tell you who
    their bike shops are in melb.

    Hope this helps

    regards
    DJ

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Go speak to Pete at Peter Moore Cycles (Swan St under Richmond Station)
    He is building up some damn good Surly tourers at VERY good prices. That and his involvement with MBTC means he knows lots about touring too.
    Or take a look at a Mongoose Randonneur. The higher model is quite nice.
    The Cannondale models are a tad american (IE very long in the reach) sized and 'Exxy' as is the Trek.

  5. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    don't know what your budget is but why not look at a custom frame if you can afford it?