Where to buy white lithium grease in the UK?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like to buy a good size pot of
    it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for £8 that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order.
    Would a motocycyle place have it?

    cheers,

    Tags:

  2. Me wrote:

    > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease?

    Here in the USA, any auto parts store has it.

    Barry

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like to buy a good size pot of
    > it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for £8 that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order.
    > Would a motocycyle place have it?

    Try an auto parts store. White lithium grease is the standard for autos mechanics.

  4. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like to buy a good size pot of
    > it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for £8 that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order.
    > Would a motocycyle place have it?
    >
    > cheers,

    Try here http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Lubricants

    £2.60 for 500g seems reasonable.

    Is there any reason why I should even consider buying Shimano Dura Ace grease which I have seen
    advertised at more than 10 times this price (£28.99 for 500g)?

  5. "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like to buy a good size pot of
    > it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for £8 that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order.
    > Would a motocycyle place have it?
    >
    > cheers,

    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Lubricants

    I missed the reference to a "good sized pot"

    They have a 12.5Kg tub at £29.98 - that ought to keep you going for a while.

    You could get the price down to £23.32 if you buy 10 (anyone interested in a lifetime supply?)

  6. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 29 Mar 2003 12:33:28 -0800, [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:

    >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like to buy a good size pot
    >> of it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for £8 that I've seen in the LBS and via mail
    >> order. Would a motocycyle place have it?
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >
    >Try here http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Lubricants
    >
    >£2.60 for 500g seems reasonable.
    >
    >Is there any reason why I should even consider buying Shimano Dura Ace grease which I have seen
    >advertised at more than 10 times this price (£28.99 for 500g)?

    Just out of interest, in relation to cycle maintenance, what's the difference between white lithium
    grease and ordinary general purpose auto grease...you know, the brown stuff :)

    Is one more preferable for bicycles than the other?

    thanks bob

  7. Me

    Me Guest

    YEah, I've been to two autoparts shops here in the UK, (halford and Charile Browns) but no joy for
    White Lithium grease.

    Interestingly enough Halfords had some Lithium grease Spray, but it was more like an aerosol, like
    wd40 so dont know how thats considered grease. Anyone know about this stuff?

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Me wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease?
    >
    > Here in the USA, any auto parts store has it.
    >
    > Barry

  8. Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Just out of interest, in relation to cycle maintenance, what's the difference between white
    > lithium grease and ordinary general purpose auto grease...you know, the brown stuff :)
    >
    > Is one more preferable for bicycles than the other?
    >

    > thanks bob

    There was a good discussion on this a while ago see:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=58s8li%24kck%40hermes.acs.unt.edu&-
    rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dgrease%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.bic-
    ycles.tech

    (Is there a better way for me to give this reference ratehr than a Google Groups URL?)

    The consensus seems to be that bikes are fairly undemanding environments for greases and that most
    would do for bike bearings.

  9. webster-<< Is there any reason why I should even consider buying Shimano Dura Ace grease which I
    have seen advertised at more than 10 times this price (£28.99 for 500g)?

    No-nor any 'labeled' grease-grease is just oil in 'soap'--

  10. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    >Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> Just out of interest, in relation to cycle maintenance, what's the difference between white
    >> lithium grease and ordinary general purpose auto grease...you know, the brown stuff :)
    >>
    >> Is one more preferable for bicycles than the other?
    >>

    >> thanks bob
    >
    >There was a good discussion on this a while ago see:
    >
    >http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=58s8li%24kck%40hermes.acs.unt.edu&-
    >rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Dgrease%26meta%3Dgroup%253Drec.bic-
    >ycles.tech
    >
    >(Is there a better way for me to give this reference ratehr than a Google Groups URL?)
    >
    >The consensus seems to be that bikes are fairly undemanding environments for greases and that most
    >would do for bike bearings.

    I'm not normally so lazy. I've been known to google a bit myself on occasions :) Many thanks.

    bobf

  11. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi guys,

    As the OP, I'm happy to get all the responses and after some taste tests (just kidding) The only
    white Lithium based grease that I can find here in the UK is the stuff that comes in the little tube
    with the Raleigh Bearing packs.

    A couple auto stores has lithium grease but its more clear than white and I've also checked
    out Finish Lines "premium" lithium grease and while its nice and thick, its still mostly clear
    to opaque.

    The main reason I want a white (like toothpaste) grease as I use to use in the States is so that I
    can see when my bearings have been contaminated by mud and other filth as they show up really nice
    against the white.

    Is the stuff at the link provided above white or opaque?

    Any other suggestions on where I can find in the UK? websites are great!

    cheers for the help! "Andrew Webster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd like
    > > buy a good size pot of it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes for
    £8
    > > that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order. Would a motocycyle place
    have
    > > it?
    > >
    > > cheers,
    >
    > http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Lubricants
    >
    > I missed the reference to a "good sized pot"
    >
    > They have a 12.5Kg tub at £29.98 - that ought to keep you going for a while.
    >
    > You could get the price down to £23.32 if you buy 10 (anyone interested in a lifetime supply?)

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Hi, does anyone know where I can buy some white lithium grease? I'd
    like to
    > >> buy a good size pot of it instead of just the small toothpaste tubes
    for £8
    > >> that I've seen in the LBS and via mail order. Would a motocycyle place
    have
    > >> it?

    > On 29 Mar 2003 12:33:28 -0800, [email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote:
    > >Try here http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Lubricants
    > >
    > >£2.60 for 500g seems reasonable.
    > >
    > >Is there any reason why I should even consider buying Shimano Dura Ace grease which I have seen
    > >advertised at more than 10 times this price (£28.99 for 500g)?

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Just out of interest, in relation to cycle maintenance, what's the difference between white
    > lithium grease and ordinary general purpose auto grease...you know, the brown stuff :) Is one
    > more preferable for bicycles than the other?

    There's no functional difference and in fact various brands off grease come in a rainbow of colors.
    We like light colored greases so we can get a visual indication of contamination when we open the
    part later. That's all.

    Regarding your comment about Dura Ace pricing, the old Campagnolo white grease was equally
    overpriced and came in a tub to boot (we strongly prefer squeeze tubes as open-top tubs are prone to
    contamination).

  13. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > There's no functional difference and in fact various brands off grease
    come
    > in a rainbow of colors. We like light colored greases so we can get a visual indication of
    > contamination when we open the part later. That's
    all.

    > Regarding your comment about Dura Ace pricing, the old Campagnolo white grease was equally
    > overpriced and came in a tub to boot (we strongly
    prefer
    > squeeze tubes as open-top tubs are prone to contamination).
    > --

    Check out the new Campag chain lube.

  14. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    I really wish there were some petroleum / bearing engineers out there in www land who could fill us
    in on the skinny about grease & chain lubes. I seriously doubt that there is any advantage to using
    silicone grease for a bicycle. It seems to me that the greatest problem of lubricants on bikes is
    H2O not hi temp. Are silicone lubes better at handling H2O than lithium? Please correct me if
    incorrect. Thanks John