Where to buy XTR Rear Derailler for low price?

Trevorm

Guest
Hi guys,

I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
with the chain.

Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid
rise version and see how much easier it is. :)

What other products are tough and can handle a good beating also? Thanks!

--Trevor--

"TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Hi guys,
|
| I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
| couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
| with the chain.
|
| Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid
| rise version and see how much easier it is. :)
|
| What other products are tough and can handle a good beating also? Thanks!

For my own purposes, Rapid Rise is the only reason to spend the extra bucks on XTR outside the
Gee-Whiz factor (I've test ridden some RR equiped bikes and didn't like it.)

The lowest I've seen XTR is around a C-note for some of the earlier models. I've been told that
Shimano is trying to get control of prices on their top shelf stuff and that may mean only finding
them at LBSs.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 6/5/2003

I'm almost in the same boat....

Riding a specialized FSR (1998)... my xtr is almost pooched (my o-rings alone have long since flown
the coop!)

I've priced them out here (ottawa, canada) and the best price I've found is $99 (canuckish) - not a
bad price, considering that the best LX price I've seen is only $15 less.

I'm waiting for mine to die, a slow, miserable death. I'd go with an LX replacement but since the
bike came with XT, I think I'll stick with it - for $15... why not?

"TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
> couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
> with the chain.
>
> Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid
> rise version and see how much easier it is. :)
>
> What other products are tough and can handle a good beating also? Thanks!
>
> --Trevor--

"TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi guys,
>
> I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
> couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
> with the chain.
>
> Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid
> rise version and see how much easier it is. :)
>
> What other products are tough and can handle a good beating also? Thanks!
>
> --Trevor--

I bought a 952 from Colorado Cyclist last week for $80. I think you will be paying around $120 if
you want this year's model.

Critic wrote:
> "TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>> I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
>> couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
>> with the chain.
>>
>> Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid
>> rise version and see how much easier it is. :)
>>
>> What other products are tough and can handle a good beating also? Thanks!
>>
>>--Trevor--
>

> I bought a 952 from Colorado Cyclist last week for $80. I think you will be paying around $120 if
> you want this year's model.

jensonusa: $73 for "normal" (M952)/ $121 for rapid rise (M960)

David

"TrevorM" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I think I may need to get a new rear derailler to replace my current XTR. I fell on it a
> couple times and now the arm is kind of bent and even the little wheels are not in alignment
> with the chain.

Could be your hanger is bent. If so, that would make the derailler seem even more whacked. A good
shop will have a tool for aligning the hanger. Most would do it for $10 or less (free if they
like you).

> Question is where can I get a new XTR rear derailler for a good price? Time to try the rapid rise
> version and see how much easier it is. :)

Costy. Get your hanger checked out, then decide if think it's really a problem with the derailler.
Maybe it's toasted, or maybe it just seems like it because the hanger is bent.

I'd be looking for something cheaper if it was going to be given get a good beating. XT will take
impact as well as XTR. XTR is best for lots of shifting, over years of riding.
--
Tom "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Purvis Salida, CO - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Yeah that's what my LBS said so they are checking it out. In the mean time I'm looking for a plan B
if my derailler is toast. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all your responses! BTW does anyone
know where I can buy locally and a good price in Vancouver, BC? Thanks again.

--Trevor--

> Could be your hanger is bent. If so, that would make the derailler seem even more whacked. A good
> shop will have a tool for aligning the hanger. Most would do it for $10 or less (free if they
> like you).

Mountain Equipment Co-op usually has the best quality at the lowest price. (You have to pay a
one-time fee of $5 to join).

www.mec.ca (I think - but they don't have part listed online - they do have them in store tho)