Where To Buy

jesolis

Oct 19, 2015
Hello guys, I wanted to buy a bike online. I looked at a few of them from Walmart. Yet, I do not know enough about their quality. Could someone please tell me where to buy a quality bike? My budget is about $250 dollars. Anyway, thanks for the replies. Have a good week.

Buying online is fine if you know exactly what you need or are building a bike. Otherwise you are better off consulting a local bike shop.

Even if you are adamant you want to buy online, I'd still visit a local dealer just to see what's available and just so you can get their advice as to exactly what you need.

Buying anything online can be a minefield and buying a bike online is just the same. You have to have at least a rough idea before you order.

I would personally start off looking for bikes on eBay. Just last month I got a sweet deal on a road bike that was worth $2,500 but I was able to get it for $1,500. If you can't find any bikes online, I would suggest looking into pawn shops and keeping an eye open for great deals on flyers.

While eBay does have a lot of choice when it comes to bikes, unless you know exactly what your looking for it can be tricky to find one that's worth what's being asked.

There are a lot of decent sellers on eBay, but there are also a lot who are simply out to make money, so when buying a bike on there, you do need to be careful.

I need advice, I live in China and need to buy a new bike. I will use it for commuting to school, it takes about 20 minutes to walk to my classes so I want to save that time. Does anybody have experiences with buying bikes here? What bike do you recommend?

I need advice, I live in China and need to buy a new bike. I will use it for commuting to school, it takes about 20 minutes to walk to my classes so I want to save that time. Does anybody have experiences with buying bikes here? What bike do you recommend?

While I don't have any experience of buying a bike in China, I think the basic rules of buying a bike would be the same in any country.

What sort of budget your looking at, and what you want the bike for are the two main points to consider. Also if like you say your only wanting a bike to get to and from school, maybe a second hand bike might be an option to look at, as your not going to be riding miles on it on a daily basis I wouldn't have thought.

Reactions: Ladyferoz
Pardon me if there are an online sellers here but my best bet is the bike store. Buying a bike is like buying a car where you need to test drive not only for the running but also for the fitting. I believe that a bike should be tailored to your size and needs so you should not forgo with the road testing. Mere pictures in websites cannot be compared to the real thing.

I agree - buy from a local bike shop. Take advantage of their knowledge and experience. If you buy a bike that breaks down easily or you cannot use, you will be wasting your money. Many bike shops have decent used bikes that would fit into your price range. The shop I use gives free tune ups for life on new bikes you purchase from them!

I would stay far away from Walmart bikes they will be more headaches than their worth and only make you angry! If all you can afford is $250 I would start looking at Craigslist for a nice condition used steel bike, you can find really nice high quality bikes that were very dependable in their day and still are today, and in a lot of cases those older bikes weren't even rode much so they'll be just broken in! You'll be able to tell by what condition it's in and how well the owner took care of it, make sure the ring gears are not pointed and short, and no strange ripples in the paint especially near lugs, ride it with no hands to make sure it tracks straight (be careful here because the crown of a road could make it go in one direction so try to find a flat road). Depending on how long they sat you may have to do a complete lube job to get them in perfect working order. By they way, make sure the bike fits before you buy it!

I will recommend you to buy from a near, by shop because it would be very easy to transport and can be easily affordable for anyone looking for it
Keep going and try it today

I would recommend you to buy from a nearby shop because you judge more properly and accurately with your two naked eyes and as your budget is of $250 then you can bargain with the shopkeeper too.

I will suggest you to buy any bike from the nearby shops because you can judge the quality by touching it with your own hands. Isn't it? You can also buy it online but you will not be able to judge the quality and you may get disappointed if you receive a bad product. So, local shops are best.

I think that you should buy a bike from any shop which is nearer to your home because it may be possible that the shopkeeper may know you or you may know him so he will give his best advice to buy any and will also help in negotiating the price well and you will probably get the best bike.Go for it.Good luck!;)

Any bike shop nearer to your house because you can judge properly and accurately with your hands and can see with your naked eyes and if necessary you can bargain with the local shopkeeper also to negotiate the price.
So, I will suggest you buy from local shops.
All the best of luck.;)

When it comes to bike purchases I highly recommend you to go to your nearest local store, tehre you might be able to find good quality bikes for good prices, however I do not recommend you to buy bikes from stores like Walmart or that kind of stores, I definitely recommend you to go to a certified store for anything related to bikes.

Best buy online to save you time. But if you have the time, then go to the near by shop and bargain with the shopkeeper and buy there as you will have the best around you to judge more accurately.:)

You can get a Schwinn or a Vilano for under $300. These are two solid brands that aren't going to require a huge budget. Any bike shop should carry both brands.