Where to find a bike messenger job?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Ben Milford, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Ben Milford

Ben Milford New Member

Hi,

I am looking for a bike messenger job in Chicago, but I not sure where to start. I can't find any messenger companies with Google.

Where do I start? Thanks!

Tags:

2. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I worked Standard Courier for a month in Chicago [April 2005?], their station was somewhere on Grand going east past Ashland. I only lasted one month because I did not earn enough - about 900 for a month's biking. I did 150 to 180 miles a week and I was becoming a faster biker. Plus I ate a lot and snacked on Mrs Field cookies while working downtown... and I still lost 5 lbs weight that month.

But this was the hardest job I ever had. It was depressing biking in complete days of rain, in 45 F weather and I wasn't wearing rainproof gloves so I got frostnip in my fingers. I also had to deliver a carton of documents balancing it on my handlebar - I never thought I could do this.

The messengers who stick out winter and are dedicated get the good job runs that earns you more money.

Nowadays I would never go back to this job. I can't stand biking in cold rainy weather again, and in complete days of rain or a hard thunderstorm.

3. vspa

vspa Active Member

start your own ?

4. JTE83

JTE83 Member

5. JTE83

JTE83 Member

6. warrengeb

warrengeb Member

You can go to the local offices to search for the bike messenger job. I think you should search for this job online. In the online world, there are many sites in which you can find a perfect job for you. There are many scam site also and that is why you need to be careful. You should only search for jobs on the legit sites.

7. Steve5

Steve5 Member

Sadly, I don't know where to find one. But I think some people apply once they find available spots. I've seen people use bikes to deliver stuff occasionally.