where to find a setback seatpost?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Wilson, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Dave Wilson

    Dave Wilson Guest

    I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?

    Dave Wilson
    www.davewilson.cc/Bike

    Tags:

  2. Dave Wilson wrote:
    > I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    > I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    > one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    > mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?
    >
    > Dave Wilson
    > www.davewilson.cc/Bike

    Thompson Elite is a very good seatpost. Can be had both straight and setback
    Two adjusting bolts allows mikroadjustment of saddle tilt.
    http://www.lhthomson.com/SBpartslist.asp

    --
    Perre
    I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

  3. R. Bowmar

    R. Bowmar Guest

    Thomsen makes a beautiful set back post for both road and MTBs. The
    micrometer adjustment on seat angle is very slick and easy to use. You can
    even flip it around and try a "set forward" seating position. They come in a
    range of diameters so measure your old post before you buy.

    Try
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=6448 for the MTB version
    in black. $89.99 plus shipping.

    Or do what I did and buy a used one off eBay in new condition for about $40
    with shipping. If you've not bought on eBay before, You can avoid hassles
    with unreliable sellers if you buy from sellers who have a >97% positive
    feedback rating and a reasonable number of experience points, say >50. It is
    a great place to get parts you can't find at your LBS, new and used.

    I hope this is useful.

    Brian

    "Dave Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    > I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    > one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    > mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?
    >
    > Dave Wilson
    > www.davewilson.cc/Bike

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > Dave Wilson wrote:

    >> I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting
    >> bike I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle
    >> moved one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    >> mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    >> anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?

    > Thompson Elite is a very good seatpost. Can be had both straight and
    > setback Two adjusting bolts allows mikroadjustment of saddle tilt.
    > http://www.lhthomson.com/SBpartslist.asp

    The Thomson is very good, but the setback model isn't set back much more than
    usual. You might get an inch difference, but probably not two.

    I have a Campy Record Carbon seatpost which has the entire clamp completely
    behind the post itself, one of the most set back I've seen.

    What diameter does your Cannondale take? You might get some better
    recommendations, or even offers.

    Matt O.

  5. arthur strum

    arthur strum Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Dave Wilson) wrote:

    > I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    > I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    > one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    > mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?
    >
    > Dave Wilson
    > www.davewilson.cc/Bike

    dave: here are lots of possibilities: http://www.wallbike.com/seatposts.html

    i would recommend the kalloy 374, at about 20 dollars. it's actually a
    decent post with lots of setback.

    i've also got the clb, which is beautiful and has even more setback
    (also listed above)

    wallingford bikes is also a great company..

    art strum

  6. Dave Wilson wrote:
    > I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    > I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    > one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    > mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?
    >
    > Dave Wilson
    > www.davewilson.cc/Bike

    Hi Dave,
    None of the seatposts mentioned so far are really set back any more than an
    inch.

    Your two best bets are:

    1. FSA SL-220

    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=45&pid=144

    2. Titec Hell-bent

    http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=31

    The Titec has a 3-year warranty against breakage. I have one and it's
    perfect for my short-chainstay bike if I'm riding XC.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Dave Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    >I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved
    >one or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big
    >mail-order shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does
    >anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?

    I'm having trouble finding posts with *zero* setback.

    Look in the PerformanceBike catalog. Most of the seatposts
    have some setback, and there's at least one that has a
    pretty radical setback.

    Wait a sec....

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=6447

    Doesn't look too radical, though...

    --Blair
    "2 words: Longer stem."

  8. RE/
    >two inches to the rear.

    Titec's HellBent will get you pretty close to 2".

    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. Dave Wilson) writes:

    >I'm 6'4" and ride a XL Cannondale Scalpel. It's the best fitting bike
    >I've had, but I would like to see how it rides with the saddle moved >one

    or two inches to the rear. I've looked at some of the big >mail-order
    shops and haven't yet found a setback seatpost. Does >anyone have a
    suggestion on where to find one?

    If you need a lot of setback, look for a layback seatpost on ebay. These
    typically come in 7/8" and 1" diameter, so do the metric conversion, and
    see if they fit your frame. Also, you will need to buy a clamp to fit on
    the top and hold the saddle, as almost all of these are old-style posts
    with no clamp. Got one for my Brooks B66 for my English 3-speed, and it
    put my seat in the perfect position. Probably has about 3 inches of
    setback; I have seen them with up to 6.

    Mike

  10. dianne_1234

    dianne_1234 Guest

  11. dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:10:42 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm having trouble finding posts with *zero* setback.

    >http://www.bontrager.com/posts/detail.asp?id=95&pt=8

    Interesting. Half of the models of one style have 0
    setback. All of the rest (dozends of models in 4 other
    styles) have at least 5 mm setback.

    And I can find nowhere online to actually buy one.

    --Blair
    "LBS = Lack of Bontrager Seatposts."

  12. dianne_1234

    dianne_1234 Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:55:24 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >dianne_1234 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:10:42 GMT, Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm having trouble finding posts with *zero* setback.

    >>http://www.bontrager.com/posts/detail.asp?id=95&pt=8

    >Interesting. Half of the models of one style have 0
    >setback. All of the rest (dozends of models in 4 other
    >styles) have at least 5 mm setback.
    >
    >And I can find nowhere online to actually buy one.
    >
    > --Blair
    > "LBS = Lack of Bontrager Seatposts."

    The Bontrager Select is just one example of many makes of seat posts
    I've seen with zero setback. I think I've also heard them called
    "inline" posts. They became pretty popular a few years ago with MTB
    riders.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=inline+seatpost

  13. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave Wilson wrote:
    > > ... Does
    > > anyone have a suggestion on where to find one?
    > >

    > Hi Dave,
    > None of the seatposts mentioned so far are really set back any more than an
    > inch.
    >
    > Your two best bets are:
    >
    > 1. FSA SL-220
    >
    > http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=45&pid=144
    >
    > 2. Titec Hell-bent
    >
    > http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=31
    >
    > The Titec has a 3-year warranty against breakage. I have one and it's
    > perfect for my short-chainstay bike if I'm riding XC.

    I almost bought one of these, but decided against it because:
    1. The seller told me that it's difficult to get the seat down to the
    right height because of the bend
    2. I hate the twin screw head on my titec ti seatpost. The forward screw
    is a thumbscrew which screws downward not upward. This means that to
    adjust it you have to cram your fingers - probably one from each hand -
    inbetween the rails and the underside of the seat itself and then try
    to get the thumbscrew to turn. Took me almost a half hour to get a
    saddle off it yesterday. Fortunately the saddle I put on has a center
    cutout so now I can get to the thumbscrew from the top.
    3. Because the thumbscrew has a bulky head, it limits the amount of downward
    tilt you can achieve. You can just barely get it set up so that the
    saddle will be tilted ever so slightly down to the front, and when you
    do, the thumbscrew will prbably contact the underside of the seat, making
    it that much more impossible to turn.

    dkl

  14. > I almost bought one of these, but decided against it because:
    > 1. The seller told me that it's difficult to get the seat down to the
    > right height because of the bend
    > 2. I hate the twin screw head on my titec ti seatpost. The forward
    > screw is a thumbscrew which screws downward not upward. This
    > means that to adjust it you have to cram your fingers - probably
    > one from each hand - inbetween the rails and the underside of the
    > seat itself and then try to get the thumbscrew to turn. Took me
    > almost a half hour to get a saddle off it yesterday. Fortunately
    > the saddle I put on has a center cutout so now I can get to the
    > thumbscrew from the top.
    > 3. Because the thumbscrew has a bulky head, it limits the amount of
    > downward tilt you can achieve. You can just barely get it set up
    > so that the saddle will be tilted ever so slightly down to the
    > front, and when you do, the thumbscrew will prbably contact the
    > underside of the seat, making it that much more impossible to turn.
    >
    > dkl

    Good points, but they're not applicable to the Hellbent. Here's a picture
    of mine:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/hb.jpg

    As you can see, it has a whole lot of clearance for angling it down, and the
    bolts screw upward, not downward. I'm thinking your Titec Ti seatpost has a
    different design than the Hellbent.

    If you have a large frame, the bend would be a problem, but I need a lot of
    seatpost anyways.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I almost bought one of these, but decided against it because:
    > > <snip>
    > > 3. Because the thumbscrew has a bulky head, it limits the amount of
    > > downward tilt you can achieve. You can just barely get it set up
    > > so that the saddle will be tilted ever so slightly down to the
    > > front, and when you do, the thumbscrew will prbably contact the
    > > underside of the seat, making it that much more impossible to turn.
    > >

    > Good points, but they're not applicable to the Hellbent. Here's a picture
    > of mine:
    >
    > http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/crap/hb.jpg
    >
    > As you can see, it has a whole lot of clearance for angling it down, and the
    > bolts screw upward, not downward. I'm thinking your Titec Ti seatpost has a
    > different design than the Hellbent.

    Ahh - right on! Glad to know they've fixed it. Mine is like this:
    http://tinyurl.com/4m5dm

    dkl

  16. gnut76

    gnut76 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2011
    I'm your height and feel your pain. Bike frames just don't feel perfect with any seat post I've found. So I got creative and with two of my bikes. First application is a road bike where I took an used stem (L shape stem that typically fits inside your head-tube) that was the same diameter as my seat post and attached my saddle to it where the handlebars would typically go. What a difference in ride a couple or a few inches make. With my build, pedaling was noticeably easier. I also found to have more control in cornering. Its been 2 yrs now on my daily rider without a problem. I typically use parts for there intended purpose, but good luck finding a production seat-post with an extreme setback. Strangely enough no one even notices, until I point out. My second application is a bike I use for cyclocross type conditions. The original aluminum seat-post failed me when the "stainless"seat clamp bolt snapped in mid ride. I picked up a used strait STEEL post, The older style without a clamp on the post but on the saddle. I heated it and bent the post slightly in several locations to minimize strength degradation and give me the extreme setback I prefer. I don't ride this bike daily but I'm really hard on it. The steel is more flexible then a aluminum post so it has offered a smoother on the ass ride along with the other benefit's. I'm working on doing the same for my downhill but with anything DH strength isn't a compromise. I'll let y'all know what I come up with. Like most DH parts it will be way overboard and expensive but worth it.
    Good Luck

  17. Cumbriann

    Cumbriann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Any chance you could provide a photograph of the said creative seatpost? I've done a lot of touring on a bike I love but still feel the need to sit a couple of inches further back.

  18. swampy1970

    swampy1970 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    10,057
    The Ritchey WCS Adjustable seatpost as a very large amount of setback.

  19. ProdigalCyclist

    ProdigalCyclist New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    +1... Some Ritchey seatposts come with larger setback than most.

    I just got a Velo Orange Cru seatpost... it has one of the largest setbacks I've ever seen on a seatpost (30.2 mm). And it's a one piece aluminum seatpost (no seams to fail) and it actually looks really nice. And it was pretty cheap... I got it for $50.00 after shipping on Ebay.
    http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-grand-cru-seat-post-long-setback.html