Where to find high quality steel chainrings....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Julien, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Julien

    Julien Guest

    I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
    ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
    is long-wear or durability, not weight....

    Would anybody know where I could find some ?

    Thank you all

    Julien

    Tags:

  2. Julien wrote:
    > I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
    > ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
    > is long-wear or durability, not weight....
    >
    > Would anybody know where I could find some ?

    Nobody makes anything like that, and there's no reason to. The inexpensive steel rings from the Sora
    cranks fit your needs perfectly, aside from the stigma of low cost. The are long wearing and shift
    great, though they are a bit heavier than aluminum ones.

    There would be no advantage to the chainrings you imagine, if they existed, except for snob appeal.

    Sheldon "Steel Is Real, But Real Isn't Steel" Brown +----------------------------------------+
    | Lottery: the closest thing we have | to a tax on stupidity. |
    +----------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Julien) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
    > ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
    > is long-wear or durability, not weight....

    No doubt. I suspect nicely machined steel chainrings would outlast the cockroaches *and*
    Keith Richards.

    You might want to check with http://www.chainrings.com . They list some Vuelta "nickel" chainrings,
    which I suspect are nickel-plated aluminum. They appear to be affiliated with
    http://www.chainwheels.com/ aka http://www.warhawkindustries.com - who describe custom chainrings up
    to 125 teeth. Maybe they're willing to turn out some custom steel rings for you.

    Jeff

  4. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    How much are you willing to pay? My underemployed friend has a CNC with some spare cycles.

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

    "Julien" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
    > ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
    > is long-wear or durability, not weight....
    >
    > Would anybody know where I could find some ?
    >
    > Thank you all
    >
    > Julien

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > No doubt. I suspect nicely machined steel chainrings
    would outlast
    > the cockroaches *and* Keith Richards.

    I miss Onza Buzzsaws, which were the longest lasting chainrings I ever had -- stainless steel.

    Steel rings needn't be heavy. Steel is stiffer, so a lot of material can be shaved away. The
    Buzzsaws weren't particularly sleek, but they still weren't particularly heavy -- maybe a couple of
    ounces for a set of three.

    Matt O.

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Julien" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm dissatisfied with the durability of aluminium alloy chainrings and would like to replace my
    > ultegra triple chainrings with high quality (CNC machined, not stamped) steel chainrings. My issue
    > is long-wear or durability, not weight....

    How about 4x durability and less weight at the same time? Ready to spend some money? Try titanium
    chainrings:

    http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/

    Their website only lists granny rings; but I think they make any size chainrings that you need. If
    they're using a CNC lathe, it's probably no big deal to tool up for a set of 3 chainrings.

    I also checked Bruce Boone's website; but it looks like he's just doing titanium jewelry these days:

    http://boonerings.com/about.htm

    He makes the most beautiful chainrings in existence. We're talking works of art. I'll bet he could
    whip you up a set of beautiful and bombproof Ti chainrings as a custom order.

    Either way, you'll get what you're looking for, with little or no weight penalty (except your wallet
    will be quite a bit lighter :)

    -Barry

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > How about 4x durability and less weight at the same time?
    Ready to spend
    > some money? Try titanium chainrings:

    I've had Ti rings (Action Tec). While they seem to last longer than most aluminum ones, they don't
    last *that* long. The longest lasting rings I've had were stainless steel, or SR Platinum rings
    which are thicker than usual, and hard anodized. (Neither is made anymore.) One of the big problems
    with newer Shimano chainrings is that the teeth are way too thin. This includes the steel rings from
    some mountain bike groups. They get bent, flattened, etc., which wears them out quickly. The
    Buzzsaws' and Platinums' durability was due as much to design as material.

    Note that I'd never pay $100 for a Ti chainring. I got mine very, very cheap.

    Matt O.