Where to get an inexpensive Torque Wrench?

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range from 5nm (44 in/lbs) for a
> band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800 in/lbs) for a Bottom Bracket.

Just as an aside, if you're tightening stuff up to such low torques as 5Nm, then make sure you've
got nice clean threads (this applies generally, but particularly at low torques). I've seen people
tighten stuff to the "correct" setting then wonder why it still feels loose, all because of a
slightly dented thread which gives a bit of extra resistance.

Have fun!

Graeme

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
> :>
> : I use one for doing up the cassette lockring because the serrations make it impossible (for me)
> : to tell whether it is tight or still needs a bit more.
>
> This is one I find very easy. The correct torque is achieved with a 12" adjustable and a good hard
> shove or two :)

Two grunts and a fart is the correct tightness for everything on my bikes and nowt has ever
fallen off.
--
******** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *********

OK, found it : it goes from 28 -- 210 Nm, which is about 20 -- 155 ft lbs. Don't remember exactly
how much, but definitely less than a tenner.

** Phil.
--------
"Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]" wrote:

> Aldi and/or Lidl had one recently; it's still at home, so I'll check the range this evening ...
>
> Philip Taylor
> --------
> Me wrote:
> >
> > I've decided to take the plunge and buy a torque wrench specifically for my bike repairs.
> > Questions:
> >
> > From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range from 5nm (44 in/lbs) for
> > a band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800 in/lbs) for a Bottom Bracket.
> >
> > Is it possible to buy one Torque Wrench that is calibrated for such a range? Or do I need to
> > buy two?
> >
> > Should I get 3/8" drive or 1/2" or does it matter?
> >
> > Where in the UK sells an inexpensive but good one?
> >
> > Wheres a good place to buy the socet adapters that convert from sockets to say an 8mm (or
> > 4,5,6mm) allen key?
> >
> > Thanks for the info!
> >
> > cheers,

all good advice, philip from the previous post or two also sent me a link to Screwfix Direct which
has one from 28-210nm for £10.49, sounds good to me. Shipping is £6 though...

Anyone use one of these?

http://shorterlink.com/?W9ILCS

-cheers,

news:[email protected]...

Me wrote:

> all good advice, philip from the previous post or two also sent me a link to Screwfix Direct which
> has one from 28-210nm for £10.49, sounds good to me. Shipping is £6 though...

Postage charges can be avoided if you increase your order to their cut-off value, which is a few
tens of pounds ...

** Phil.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:54:09 +0100, "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Postage charges can be avoided if you increase your order to their cut-off value, which is a few
>tens of pounds ...

Not something I've ever had much trouble doing with that particular firm ;-)

Guy
===