Where to get Hot Melt Chain Wax?

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:35:22 -0400, Danny Callen wrote:
>>

>>>I used to be a "waxer" but I just don't have the time
>
> anymore and
>
>>>removing the "newer" chains is such a pain in the
>
> ass...those stupid ass
>
>>>little pins are just too much.
>>
>>Try an SRAM chain with a powerlink "master link". Chain
>
> removal has
>
>>never been easier.
>

> Sure, as long as you have pliers handy...
>
> This beats a chain tool any day, but I've never been able to do it by hand, as advertised. Not
> that it's a big deal...
>
> Matt O.

I made a "tool" from an old spoke. Cut it short and bend the ends back so that you can stick the
ends through the chain links and use it to take the tension off the master link and several
sorrounding links. Then, all you have to do is to push the plates together and push the links
together -- not having to worry about releasing and having it go back to tight. It still takes
practice, but it's not hard -- and the tool easily fits in your pack for trail use.

Davi

"> I made a "tool" from an old spoke. Cut it short and bend the ends back
> so that you can stick the ends through the chain links and use it to take the tension off the
> master link and several sorrounding links.

One of those cam with my mini tool, it has helped me sometimes when I'm pressing a pin with a chain
tool, but not even much then. I agree with Matt O. and others that the SRAM quick links are a pain
(the original Craig were much better). I also made a tool (actually several) out of an old spoke, I
bent it in a "V" shape, and stick it in the chain so that the 2 pins of the quick link are inside
the "V", and squeeze it together with one hand, while pressing the side plates together with my
other hand. It's still a bear on a relatively new, but dirty chain, since the chain gunk restricts
side plate inward motion. It works much better on a clean chain, but then I'm almost never removing
a clean chain. Breaking with a chain tool is often faster and almost always less dirty.