Where to go by bike with two small children?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Dyrex, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Dyrex

    Dyrex Guest

    We would like to organize bicycle trip in somewhere next year. Sounds common but there is one thing
    which make our trip let say not typical. We would like take with us our children. One will be five
    and second is one year old. We plan to buy special bicycle trailer for carring the children
    (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html/products/classic.html) and second one for our tourist
    equipment. We plan to ride about 2-3 weeks . I think that we will make about 60-80 km per day (but
    you can say better what is real value) . Can suggest other country which will be the best for our
    trip. But you must remember that we want to make our trip outside the europe (and it is good idea to
    make such trip not in USA , because we need visa to USA for us it is about 400$!!!). We prefer more
    remote countries because maybe we will try to find a sponsors and country which is located in Europe
    is not interested for sponsors. If you have some propositions let us know :)

    Michal Szymanski http://michal.szymanski.free.fr

    Tags:

  2. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    Stay in Europe! Sorry for being so blunt, but Europe is the safest place for cycling with children.
    Drivers are more bike-friendly than in most other parts of the world. The radwegs of Austria and
    Germany are ideal for travelling with children - see my photos and report at
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm It will be a lot of hassle to fly with children,
    bikes and trailers, less hassle to take trains or drive in Europe.

    Take the exotic trip without the children. That is my opinion.

    Ken

    [email protected] (dyrex) wrote:

    >We would like to organize bicycle trip in somewhere next year. Sounds common but there is one thing
    >which make our trip let say not typical. We would like take with us our children. One will be five
    >and second is one year old. We plan to buy special bicycle trailer for carring the children
    >(http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html/products/classic.html) and second one for our tourist
    >equipment. We plan to ride about 2-3 weeks . I think that we will make about 60-80 km per day (but
    >you can say better what is real value) . Can suggest other country which will be the best for our
    >trip. But you must remember that we want to make our trip outside the europe (and it is good idea
    >to make such trip not in USA , because we need visa to USA for us it is about 400$!!!). We prefer
    >more remote countries because maybe we will try to find a sponsors and country which is located in
    >Europe is not interested for sponsors. If you have some propositions let us know :)
    >
    >Michal Szymanski http://michal.szymanski.free.fr

    Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
    replying via e-mail

  3. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    (dyrex) writes:

    >Can suggest other country which will be the best for our trip. But you must remember that we want
    >to make our trip outside the europe (and it is good idea to make such trip not in USA , because we
    >need visa to USA for us it is about 400$!!!). We prefer more remote countries because maybe we will
    >try to find a sponsors and country which is located in Europe is not interested for sponsors. If
    >you have some propositions let us know :)

    If you are interested more in natural wonders (rather than man-made ones) consider Iceland. Once
    away from the two urban centers the traffic is light. The wind and possibly rain could be a
    serious downside.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  4. Paul Bielec

    Paul Bielec Guest

    Here in Quebec, Canada there is lot of nice places for biking. Lot of long bike path too. Plenty of
    wilderness and remote countries. Hey, this provice is so big and there is only 7M people.

    If you travel with Polish passport, you need a visa though. But maybe with Poland going the EU,
    they'll no need for visa next year.

    bardzo ladne zdjecia z waszych podrozy powodzenia

    news:[email protected]...

  5. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:54:18 -0400, "Paul Bielec" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Can suggest other country which will be the best for our trip. But you must remember that we want
    >> to make our trip outside the europe (and it is good idea to make such trip not in USA , because
    >> we need visa to USA for us it is about 400$!!!). We prefer more remote countries because maybe we
    >> will try to find a sponsors and country which is located in Europe is not interested for
    >> sponsors. If you have some propositions let us know :)
    >>
    >> Michal Szymanski http://michal.szymanski.free.fr

    Michal

    Disclaimer - I have never done trips there, but would like to -

    Have you looked at Nova Scotia and/or Prince Edward Island? From what I have seen, these are great
    locations for cycling, and being in Canada - they are relatively civilized, whouch would be good
    when travelling with kids!

    Mark