Where to go next summer?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rooney, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    A return to the Tyrol (which was superb) is one possibility, but I'm
    considering somewhere different in Europe. This time I'm thinking of
    driving rather than flying. In particular we'd like:

    Somewhere accessible by car from the UK - so not *too* far - say under
    1000 miles away from Liverpool.

    Un-touristy - no packed beaches (preferably no beach at all!), no
    expensive resorts.

    Good walking country - mountains don't have to be enormous but that
    would be a bonus.

    No mega pinewoods.

    Good wildlife.

    Good climate.

    Old villages and towns. No cities.

    Not too dear - I think Norway is off the agenda. And I presume Dover -
    Calais is the most economical crossing.



    Any suggestions/experiences, please?

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
    Tags:


  2. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    "Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A return to the Tyrol (which was superb) is one possibility, but I'm
    > considering somewhere different in Europe. This time I'm thinking of
    > driving rather than flying. In particular we'd like:
    >
    > Somewhere accessible by car from the UK - so not *too* far - say under
    > 1000 miles away from Liverpool.
    >
    > Un-touristy - no packed beaches (preferably no beach at all!), no
    > expensive resorts.
    >
    > Good walking country - mountains don't have to be enormous but that
    > would be a bonus.
    >
    > No mega pinewoods.
    >
    > Good wildlife.
    >
    > Good climate.
    >
    > Old villages and towns. No cities.
    >
    > Not too dear - I think Norway is off the agenda. And I presume Dover -
    > Calais is the most economical crossing.
    >
    > Any suggestions/experiences, please?


    The Vercors just south of Grenoble in south east France?

    Whilst this website is primarily about caving in the area, it does provide
    an overview of non caving activities:
    http://www.speleo-vercors.org

    If you need any more info, let me know.

    Cheers,

    Glenn

    Web site: http://www.andromeda-park.demon.co.uk
    Speleo Vercors: http://www.speleo-vercors.org
     
  3. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    Northern Portugal


    Richard Webb
     
  4. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

  5. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:25:14 GMT, [email protected] (RJ Webb) wrote:

    >Northern Portugal
    >
    >
    >Richard Webb



    I know nothing about it, but I'll check it out. Might be a longish
    drive though, and the return ferry to Santander would set me back
    almost a grand!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  6. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:06:52 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A return to the Tyrol (which was superb) is one possibility, but I'm
    >considering somewhere different in Europe. This time I'm thinking of
    >driving rather than flying. In particular we'd like:
    >
    >Somewhere accessible by car from the UK - so not *too* far - say under
    >1000 miles away from Liverpool.
    >
    >Un-touristy - no packed beaches (preferably no beach at all!), no
    >expensive resorts.
    >
    >Good walking country - mountains don't have to be enormous but that
    >would be a bonus.
    >
    >No mega pinewoods.
    >
    >Good wildlife.
    >
    >Good climate.
    >
    >Old villages and towns. No cities.
    >
    >Not too dear - I think Norway is off the agenda. And I presume Dover -
    >Calais is the most economical crossing.
    >
    >
    >
    >Any suggestions/experiences, please?


    I'm off to the Pyrenees.
     
  7. Ploggo

    Ploggo Guest

    Probably get flamed for this but SW Ireland should be considered the
    peninsulas are in our opinion the places to Go has everything you listed and
    more

    "Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:33:13 -0000, "Glenn"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    > >The Vercors just south of Grenoble in south east France?
    > >
    > >Whilst this website is primarily about caving in the area, it does

    provide
    > >an overview of non caving activities:
    > >http://www.speleo-vercors.org
    > >
    > >If you need any more info, let me know.
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >
    > >Glenn
    > >
    > >Web site: http://www.andromeda-park.demon.co.uk
    > >Speleo Vercors: http://www.speleo-vercors.org
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > Thanks - looks good.
    >
    > --
    >
    > R
    > o
    > o
    > n
    > e
    > y
     
  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Ploggo" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Probably get flamed for this but SW Ireland should be considered the
    > peninsulas are in our opinion the places to Go has everything you listed and
    > more


    I think he might not care for the added extra. :)

    When is the best time to visit there to avoid the worst of the rain?

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 139 summits
    New - 110 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 98)
    Repeats - 29 (Marilyns 11, Sweats 21, Wainwrights 16, Outlying Fells 2)
     
  9. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:09:39 -0000, "Ploggo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Probably get flamed for this but SW Ireland should be considered the
    >peninsulas are in our opinion the places to Go has everything you listed and
    >more
    >


    Ireland's been rejected on the grounds of probable wetness! It's
    always either a 'soft day' or pis*ing down!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  10. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:07:08 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from "Ploggo" <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> Probably get flamed for this but SW Ireland should be considered the
    >> peninsulas are in our opinion the places to Go has everything you listed and
    >> more

    >
    >I think he might not care for the added extra. :)
    >
    >When is the best time to visit there to avoid the worst of the rain?


    Precisely, Roger. I've been numerous times and only once stayed dry.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  11. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:00:15 +0000, C L Imber
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:06:52 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>A return to the Tyrol (which was superb) is one possibility, but I'm
    >>considering somewhere different in Europe. This time I'm thinking of
    >>driving rather than flying. In particular we'd like:
    >>
    >>Somewhere accessible by car from the UK - so not *too* far - say under
    >>1000 miles away from Liverpool.
    >>
    >>Un-touristy - no packed beaches (preferably no beach at all!), no
    >>expensive resorts.
    >>
    >>Good walking country - mountains don't have to be enormous but that
    >>would be a bonus.
    >>
    >>No mega pinewoods.
    >>
    >>Good wildlife.
    >>
    >>Good climate.
    >>
    >>Old villages and towns. No cities.
    >>
    >>Not too dear - I think Norway is off the agenda. And I presume Dover -
    >>Calais is the most economical crossing.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Any suggestions/experiences, please?

    >
    >I'm off to the Pyrenees.



    So far I've looked at the Central Massif and the Bavarian Forest, and
    I'm now checking out the other suggestions. I'd hate it to be a let
    down after our cracking Tyrol holiday.
    Actually I've a liking for hot, craggy places with lizards and birds,
    and cheap bars at the end of the day, with not an Englishman in the
    vicinity! But I have to take the rest of the family into account, and
    though they'd like it, two weeks of that kind of thing may be too
    much.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  12. Stu

    Stu Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:06:52 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any suggestions/experiences, please?


    something Id love to do this summer if I were in europe,
    was the via ferrata in italy.. mm dolomites...

    i guess thats more tha 1k miles away from liverpool tho.


    -- Stu --
    [FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
    http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2
     
  13. Slovenia's a great place. Plenty of craggy walking in the Julian Alps
    especially in the area around Triglav.

    Tony Simpkins
     
  14. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:13:54 GMT, Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:06:52 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Any suggestions/experiences, please?

    >
    >something Id love to do this summer if I were in europe,
    >was the via ferrata in italy.. mm dolomites...
    >
    >i guess thats more tha 1k miles away from liverpool tho.
    >
    >
    >-- Stu --
    >[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
    > http://www.mega-tokyo.com/osfaq2


    Saltager Spitze in the Tyrol is (has?) a via ferrata - cool!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  15. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:33:03 -0000, "Tony Simpkins"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Slovenia's a great place. Plenty of craggy walking in the Julian Alps
    >especially in the area around Triglav.
    >
    >Tony Simpkins
    >


    A bit too far, methinks.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  16. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:52:10 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I'm off to the Pyrenees.

    >
    >
    >So far I've looked at the Central Massif and the Bavarian Forest, and
    >I'm now checking out the other suggestions. I'd hate it to be a let
    >down after our cracking Tyrol holiday.
    >Actually I've a liking for hot, craggy places with lizards and birds,
    >and cheap bars at the end of the day, with not an Englishman in the
    >vicinity! But I have to take the rest of the family into account, and
    >though they'd like it, two weeks of that kind of thing may be too
    >much.


    Both the East and West ends of the Pyrenees offer beach resorts if
    your family have had too much of the mountains.
     
  17. After seeking advice here last year, I went to Vosges (Niederbronn
    les Bains, to be precise). This was certainly un-touristy! Weather was
    reasonably good (but not a lot of sun); mostly walking through woods, but
    these were natural ones with hides and lots of wildlife. Hills about 300m
    high (but they weren't too easy to see because of the forest). I'd have
    preferred something a bit higher and less afforested myself, but it was nice
    countryside (and I might think of returning there in the future for
    backpacking).

    Getting there was 500 miles from Cambridge with two of us sharing
    the driving. And this was *seriously* knackering; we set off at 0400 for
    Dover, and arrived at about 2000. I wouldn't want to face a 1000 mile drive
    myself.

    Hope this is useful!
    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]
     
  18. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On 16 Dec 2004 09:19:16 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    > After seeking advice here last year, I went to Vosges (Niederbronn
    >les Bains, to be precise). This was certainly un-touristy! Weather was
    >reasonably good (but not a lot of sun); mostly walking through woods, but
    >these were natural ones with hides and lots of wildlife. Hills about 300m
    >high (but they weren't too easy to see because of the forest). I'd have
    >preferred something a bit higher and less afforested myself, but it was nice
    >countryside (and I might think of returning there in the future for
    >backpacking).
    >
    > Getting there was 500 miles from Cambridge with two of us sharing
    >the driving. And this was *seriously* knackering; we set off at 0400 for
    >Dover, and arrived at about 2000. I wouldn't want to face a 1000 mile drive
    >myself.
    >
    > Hope this is useful!
    > Mark


    Cheers, Mark.

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
  19. Ploggo

    Ploggo Guest

    Oh I see Fair-weather walks Eh ???
    Wots up No Waterproofs
    Worth getting damp just for the Gwinness me thinks
    "Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:09:39 -0000, "Ploggo" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Probably get flamed for this but SW Ireland should be considered the
    > >peninsulas are in our opinion the places to Go has everything you listed

    and
    > >more
    > >

    >
    > Ireland's been rejected on the grounds of probable wetness! It's
    > always either a 'soft day' or pis*ing down!
    >
    > --
    >
    > R
    > o
    > o
    > n
    > e
    > y
     
  20. Rooney

    Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:51:49 -0000, "Ploggo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Oh I see Fair-weather walks Eh ???
    >Wots up No Waterproofs


    No fun going on hols to a wet place. I want to sit outside cafes in
    tiny villages, watching lizards sunning themeslves while I quaff cool
    lager or vino collapso.

    >Worth getting damp just for the Gwinness me thinks


    I can't stand the stuff!

    --

    R
    o
    o
    n
    e
    y
     
Loading...
Loading...