Where to go next summer?

Rooney wrote:
> A return to the Tyrol (which was superb) is one possibility, but I'm
> considering somewhere different in Europe. This time I'm thinking of
> driving rather than flying. In particular we'd like:
>
> Somewhere accessible by car from the UK - so not *too* far - say under
> 1000 miles away from Liverpool.
>
> Un-touristy - no packed beaches (preferably no beach at all!), no
> expensive resorts.
>
> Good walking country - mountains don't have to be enormous but that
> would be a bonus.
>
> No mega pinewoods.
>
> Good wildlife.
>
> Good climate.
>
> Old villages and towns. No cities.
>
> Not too dear - I think Norway is off the agenda. And I presume Dover -
> Calais is the most economical crossing.
>

> Any suggestions/experiences, please?

Tuscany.

Advantages:
The Alpi Apuane are beautiful mountains. Various parts of the Appenines
are also great. Almost all hill & mountain villages are over 1000 years
old. Food is World class. Much cheaper than the UK. Forests tend to be
beech and (partly) abandoned chestnut groves lower down.

Disadvantages:
July & August can be HOT.
Wildlife (apart from boars) isn't especially abundant.
Packed beaches are visible (in the distance) from some mountain tops -
but beautiful, unpacked one can be found.
There are cities (Florence), but towns like Siena, Lucca, Pitigliano,
Sovana, ect... are relaxing to visit.

If you want to know more, just ask!

Chris

Ah an Ice Cold San Miguel or a Tiger or Cobra or a Star or a Tsingtao or a
Anker or even a Singha or 3 been there done that give me a Gwinness on a
Soft Day much more enjoyable
Cheers Hic
Dunroamin
"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:51:49 -0000, "Ploggo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Oh I see Fair-weather walks Eh ???
> >Wots up No Waterproofs

> No fun going on hols to a wet place. I want to sit outside cafes in
> tiny villages, watching lizards sunning themeslves while I quaff cool
> lager or vino collapso.
>
> >Worth getting damp just for the Gwinness me thinks

> I can't stand the stuff!

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:41:19 +0100, Chris Loffredo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tuscany.
>
>Advantages:
>The Alpi Apuane are beautiful mountains. Various parts of the Appenines
>are also great. Almost all hill & mountain villages are over 1000 years
>old. Food is World class. Much cheaper than the UK. Forests tend to be
>beech and (partly) abandoned chestnut groves lower down.
>
>Disadvantages:
>July & August can be HOT.
>Wildlife (apart from boars) isn't especially abundant.
>Packed beaches are visible (in the distance) from some mountain tops -
>but beautiful, unpacked one can be found.
>There are cities (Florence), but towns like Siena, Lucca, Pitigliano,
>Sovana, ect... are relaxing to visit.
>
>If you want to know more, just ask!
>
>Chris

Thanks, but the wildlife is quite important. We had a really good
Italian holiday years back, at Tignale, near Lake Garda - but not too
near. The only birds we ever saw did a disappearing act half a mile
away, to avoid getting shot, I guess! I believe they shoot just about
everything.

Drive up to Shetland, have a walk around, esp Ronas hill! then get the
Noronna car ferry to Iceland, Faroe, Denmark or Norway.

Stew.