Where to recycle/dispose of old bike in West London

renum

Guest
Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I live
in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip to
Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?

Or if anyone wants it, feel free to say so, but it could do with a new
drive train & brakes.

On 8 Jan, 14:36, renum <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I live
> in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip to
> Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?
>
> Or if anyone wants it, feel free to say so, but it could do with a new
> drive train & brakes.

Put it on freecycle (just web search for it). I don't know about
Hammersmith but I live in Ealing and have just got rid of a bunch of
unwanted stuff that way. Every time there's been someone round to
collect it the day I after I offered it.

renum said the following on 08/01/2008 14:36:

> Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I live
> in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip to
> Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?

Can't you just forget to lock it up somewhere? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Park it unlocked on the bike racks next to the Irish Centre on Blacks Road near Visit Britain at the back of M&S. It won't be there long. It'll have be "reused" ;-)

Paul Boyd wrote:
> renum said the following on 08/01/2008 14:36:
>>
>> Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I
>> live in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip
>> to Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?

> Can't you just forget to lock it up somewhere? :)

Good idea - except if the bike's hardly rideable it will soon get dumped and
vandalised and end up just as unsightly, enviromentally-unfriendly litter.

I would keep or ebay any of its useful components, and let the council take
the rest away next time they make an occasional special collection of large
rubbish. I know the London boroughs of Haringey and Barnet do this. Don't
Hammersmith & Fulham? Don't they all?

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> I would keep or ebay any of its useful components, and let the council take
> the rest away next time they make an occasional special collection of large
> rubbish. I know the London boroughs of Haringey and Barnet do this. Don't
> Hammersmith & Fulham? Don't they all?

They do - and it looks like it's a free service in H&F. The OP should go
to www.lbhf.gov.uk and do a search for "bulky items" to get the details.

But it would be better to try giving it away on Freecycling first, as
someone else suggested.

Andy Key wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> I would keep or ebay any of its useful components, and let the
>> council take the rest away next time they make an occasional special
>> collection of large rubbish. I know the London boroughs of Haringey
>> and Barnet do this. Don't Hammersmith & Fulham? Don't they all?
>>

> They do - and it looks like it's a free service in H&F. The OP should
> go to www.lbhf.gov.uk and do a search for "bulky items" to get the
> details.
> But it would be better to try giving it away on Freecycling first, as
> someone else suggested.

Agreed.

~PB

On 08/01/2008 14:36, renum wrote:
> Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I live
> in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip to
> Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?

Is there an Emmaus shop near you? Round here they take old bikes to do
up and sell on. I got rid of one like that a couple of years ago:
http://www.emmaus.org.uk/

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

On 08/01/2008 19:06, Andy Key said,

>> I would keep or ebay any of its useful components, and let the council
>> take the rest away next time they make an occasional special
>> collection of large rubbish. I know the London boroughs of Haringey
>> and Barnet do this. Don't Hammersmith & Fulham? Don't they all?

Out in the far west of the country, Somerset, we have to battle trying
to book days and parting with copious cash to get the council to take
anything bulky away. We also seem to have a problem of bulky stuff
being fly-tipped...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

POHB wrote:
> On 8 Jan, 14:36, renum <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Anyone know where I can "recycle" an old Raleigh mountain bike? I live
>> in Hammersmith & Fulham and the council wants me to take a trip to
>> Wandsworth to get rid of it? Anyone know of anything nearer?
>>
>> Or if anyone wants it, feel free to say so, but it could do with a new
>> drive train & brakes.

> Put it on freecycle (just web search for it). I don't know about
> Hammersmith but I live in Ealing and have just got rid of a bunch of
> unwanted stuff that way. Every time there's been someone round to
> collect it the day I after I offered it.

Thanks for that, I am waiting for the moderator to approve the subscription.

Paul & Pete,
This was originally an idea, but my partner bought the bike "recycled"
from a place in Oxford, and has a code scratched into the frame paint,
so I assume if I left it somewhere, it would make its way back to her
somehow. The shop has her details.

Andy Key wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> I would keep or ebay any of its useful components, and let the council
>> take the rest away next time they make an occasional special
>> collection of large rubbish. I know the London boroughs of Haringey
>> and Barnet do this. Don't Hammersmith & Fulham? Don't they all?
>>

> They do - and it looks like it's a free service in H&F. The OP should go
> to www.lbhf.gov.uk and do a search for "bulky items" to get the details.
>
> But it would be better to try giving it away on Freecycling first, as
> someone else suggested.

Thanks Andy,
I found the page and will use that as a last resort.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Is there an Emmaus shop near you? Round here they take old bikes to do
> up and sell on. I got rid of one like that a couple of years ago:
> http://www.emmaus.org.uk/

I had a look at their page and unfortunately, they don't have anything
in the vicinity of where I live.

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
<[email protected]> writes

>Out in the far west of the country, Somerset, we have to battle trying
>to book days and parting with copious cash to get the council to take
>anything bulky away. We also seem to have a problem of bulky stuff
>being fly-tipped...

When I lived in the countryside in Northern Ireland way back,
fly-tipping was a problem, too. We'd often walk home from school down a
country road to see a fresh pile of rubbish dumped at the side of the
road.

Where I currently live in London I've occasionally left stuff out front
for council collection, such as unwanted gifts, CD racks and other small
items of surplus furniture, but the local scavengers usually get there
first. I've seen them raid skips too. If it's in OK condition, it
usually doesn't lie around for long. A local understanding seems to have
developed that if you don't want something and can't be arsed to stick
it on ebay, someone else will take it off your hands.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

In article <[email protected]>, congokid
[email protected] says...

> Where I currently live in London I've occasionally left stuff out front
> for council collection, such as unwanted gifts, CD racks and other small
> items of surplus furniture, but the local scavengers usually get there
> first. I've seen them raid skips too. If it's in OK condition, it
> usually doesn't lie around for long. A local understanding seems to have
> developed that if you don't want something and can't be arsed to stick
> it on ebay, someone else will take it off your hands.

That's what Freecycle is for.

On 9 Jan, 10:51, congokid <[email protected]> wrote:
> Where I currently live in London I've occasionally left stuff out front
> for council collection, such as unwanted gifts, CD racks and other small
> items of surplus furniture, but the local scavengers usually get there
> first. I've seen them raid skips too. If it's in OK condition, it
> usually doesn't lie around for long. A local understanding seems to have
> developed that if you don't want something and can't be arsed to stick
> it on ebay, someone else will take it off your hands.

Yup that works too. Before I discovered freecycle I got rid of an old
kiddies bike by leaving it out the front of the house with a big label
saying "Free, please take". Others in the street have done similar
with furniture etc.

I raid skips for firewood, there always seems to be enough loft
conversions nearby to keep me supplied. Taking stuff from skips is
OK, but adding things to a skip that someone else has paid for is
naughty.