Where to ride near Schaumburg

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Eric Lambi, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. Eric Lambi

    Eric Lambi Guest

    Hello rec.bicycles.ride,

    I am spending a Sunday near Schaumburg in the near future, and I need
    to get a good training ride in that day. I am looking for a good
    place to ride with the following characterisitics:

    A) Won't get lost
    B) Won't get run over
    C) Can ride for 3+ hours
    D) Can do a few intervals

    I am willing to drive somewhere/anywhere I need to go for this --
    however, the closer to Schaumburg, the better. A multi-mile
    relatively flat loop would be perfect. Maybe there is a park
    somewhere?

    If there is a good shop I can call or stop by to get this information,
    please list their name.

    Thanks!

    Eric Lambi
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Hi Eric,

    This ride starts at Harper College. The actual mileage is probably 2 mi
    less.

    Dist Turn Road Total
    <Start> - W Colonial Pkwy
    Start (S) Roselle Rd (S Roselle Rd)
    0.4 Turn right (W) SR 62 (W Algonquin Rd) 0.4
    4.1 Turn left (W) E Penny Rd 4.5
    1.8 Go straight (W) W Penny Rd 6.2
    1.4 Bear left (W) Penny Rd 7.5
    1.7 Turn right (NE) Bateman Rd 9.2
    3.8 Turn right (E) W County Line Rd 12.9
    0.3 Turn left (N) Meadow Hill Rd 13.1
    1.1 Turn left (W) Spring Creek Rd 14.2
    0.6 Turn right (N) Braeburn Rd 14.7
    1.4 Turn right (NE) Algonquin Rd 16
    0.1 Bear right (SE) Plum Tree Rd 16
    0.6 Bear left (E) Plumtree Rd 16.6
    0.7 Go straight (E) Plum Tree Rd 17.2
    0.2 Go straight (E) Plumtree Rd 17.4
    0.7 Bear right (SE) W Cuba Rd 18
    0.8 Go straight (E) CR 42 (W Cuba Rd) 18.8
    4.5 Turn right (S) CR 60 (N Ela Rd) 23.3
    0.3 Go straight (S) S Ela Rd 23.5
    1.9 Turn left (SE) US 14 (S Northwest Hwy) 25.3
    0.3 Turn right (W) SR 68 (W Dundee Rd) 25.5
    0.3 Turn left (S) Ela Rd 25.8
    1.6 Go straight (S) S Ela Rd 27.3
    1.9 Turn left (E) SR 62 (W Algonquin Rd) 29.1
    0.9 Turn left (N) Roselle Rd (S Roselle Rd) 29.9
    0.3 Finish Roselle Rd (S Roselle Rd) 30.2
    <Finish> - Finish1

    Barrington Bike Rides.

    The Barrington Rides start at Harper College. Harper College is located
    at 1200 West Algonquin Road at the intersection of Algonquin Road &
    Roselle Street in Palatine. Take 90 (The Kennedy) North. Exit Northwest
    Tollway (towards Rockford/Milwaukee). Exit at Roselle St. exit. Keep
    right at the end of the ramp. Go about 1 mile to Algonquin Street. Look
    for other club members in the parking lot.

    A map is available at the Harper College web site,
    http://www.harpercollege.edu/contact/direction.htm

    Pete

    Eric Lambi wrote:

    > Hello rec.bicycles.ride,
    >
    > I am spending a Sunday near Schaumburg in the near future, and I need
    > to get a good training ride in that day. I am looking for a good
    > place to ride with the following characterisitics:
    >
    > A) Won't get lost
    > B) Won't get run over
    > C) Can ride for 3+ hours
    > D) Can do a few intervals
    >
    > I am willing to drive somewhere/anywhere I need to go for this --
    > however, the closer to Schaumburg, the better. A multi-mile
    > relatively flat loop would be perfect. Maybe there is a park
    > somewhere?
    >
    > If there is a good shop I can call or stop by to get this information,
    > please list their name.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eric Lambi
    > [email protected]

  3. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Eric Lambi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello rec.bicycles.ride,
    >
    > I am spending a Sunday near Schaumburg in the near future, and I need
    > to get a good training ride in that day. I am looking for a good
    > place to ride with the following characterisitics:
    >
    > A) Won't get lost
    > B) Won't get run over
    > C) Can ride for 3+ hours
    > D) Can do a few intervals

    There's a nice, long bike trail in the Ned Brown Forest Preserve. Head east
    on Woodfield Rd and you can't miss it just east of I-290.

    You won't get lost. Not with this map:
    http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/ned_brown.pdf
    On a nice Sunday, it will be crowded in spots. Maybe lots of spots.
    In 3 hours, you will need to do it more than once. It's roughly in the form
    of the number "6" and is 11.2 miles long.
    It's a long trail, and there may be a couple of spots isolated enough for
    intervals, but it's a multi-use path and it may be too crowded.

    Farther away, there's the Fox River trail, which runs forever along the Fox
    River. Well, maybe not forever, but from Aurora to north of McHenry as a
    paved trail, then north to the Wisconsin border as gravel.

    There's also a Schaumburg bike club http://www.schaumburgbicycleclub.org/
    and a bike club in Arlington Heights
    http://www.cyclearlington.com/rides.html and, farther east, in Evanston
    http://www.evanstonbikeclub.org/ .

    You could head to Evanston and just hammer up Sheridan Road -- that's a
    popular cyclist route through mansion territory.

  4. Craig Holl

    Craig Holl Guest

    Eric Lambi wrote:
    > Hello rec.bicycles.ride,
    >
    > I am spending a Sunday near Schaumburg in the near future, and I need
    > to get a good training ride in that day. I am looking for a good
    > place to ride with the following characterisitics:
    >
    > A) Won't get lost
    > B) Won't get run over
    > C) Can ride for 3+ hours
    > D) Can do a few intervals
    >
    > I am willing to drive somewhere/anywhere I need to go for this --
    > however, the closer to Schaumburg, the better. A multi-mile
    > relatively flat loop would be perfect. Maybe there is a park
    > somewhere?

    Last year I rode in the Poplar Creek Forest Preserve, which is roughly boxed in by
    I-90, IL 59, Bode Road, and Barrington Road. There is a nice loop around it that
    is about 8 miles long. It has a couple small hills, but is mainly flat. The
    Sunday afternoon in October that I rode it, there were few other riders. When
    riding it I thought about how great it would be for a timed loop. There are
    parking lots on the three surface roads I mentioned above. The trail is wide and
    paved.

    Another park loop is Busse Woods. It is shorter, but quite a bit busier. Some
    sections were very congested. Just thought I'd mention it.

    Any questions, just ask.

    --
    Craig Holl
    Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Craig Holl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:_I3dc.49107$z%[email protected]

    > Another park loop is Busse Woods. It is shorter, but quite a bit busier.

    Just to avoid confusion, the Ned Brown Forest Preserve I referred to in my
    post, and Busse Woods referred to above are the same thing -- one is the
    name of the park, the other the name of the trail.

  6. Craig Holl

    Craig Holl Guest

    Mike Kruger wrote:
    > "Craig Holl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:_I3dc.49107$z%[email protected]
    >

    >> Another park loop is Busse Woods. It is shorter, but quite a bit
    >> busier.

    > Just to avoid confusion, the Ned Brown Forest Preserve I referred to
    > in my post, and Busse Woods referred to above are the same thing --
    > one is the name of the park, the other the name of the trail.

    Here is a link to a map for the Busse Woods Trail:

    http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=68&file=map_68b

    Here's a link to a small map of the Poplar Creek trail. It is an older map and
    only shows the northern and some of the western part of the loop. It does go
    around the forest preserve now, though.

    http://www.fpdcc.com/content/recfac_pc_fs.html

    The Illinois DOT has some good biking maps for free. Since I got mine from a
    friend, I don't know where to get them. The map lists 217-782-0834 as a number to
    call to get a map. There are several maps available, split up by region. The one
    I have is the Chicago/Northeastern Illinois Map 1, Official Bicycle Map. HTH.

    --

  7. Craig Holl wrote:

    >Mike Kruger wrote:
    >> "Craig Holl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:_I3dc.49107$z%[email protected]
    >>

    >>> Another park loop is Busse Woods. It is shorter, but quite a bit
    >>> busier.

    >> Just to avoid confusion, the Ned Brown Forest Preserve I referred to
    >> in my post, and Busse Woods referred to above are the same thing --
    >> one is the name of the park, the other the name of the trail.

    >Here is a link to a map for the Busse Woods Trail:
    >
    >http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=68&file=map_68b
    >
    >Here's a link to a small map of the Poplar Creek trail. It is an older map and
    >only shows the northern and some of the western part of the loop. It does go
    >around the forest preserve now, though.
    >
    >http://www.fpdcc.com/content/recfac_pc_fs.html
    >
    >The Illinois DOT has some good biking maps for free. Since I got mine from a
    >friend, I don't know where to get them. The map lists 217-782-0834 as a number to
    >call to get a map. There are several maps available, split up by region. The one
    >I have is the Chicago/Northeastern Illinois Map 1, Official Bicycle Map. HTH.
    >
    >--
    >Craig Holl
    >Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI
    >www.midwestroads.com
    >*remove all numbers and caps to reply*

    And another ......
    http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/busse.gif

    From here:
    http://mikebentley.com/bike/illpaths.htm (this is a great resource)

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  8. Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Craig Holl wrote:

    :>Mike Kruger wrote:
    :>> "Craig Holl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :>> news:_I3dc.49107$z%[email protected]
    :>>
    :>>>
    :>>> Another park loop is Busse Woods. It is shorter, but quite a bit
    :>>> busier.
    :>>
    :>> Just to avoid confusion, the Ned Brown Forest Preserve I referred to
    :>> in my post, and Busse Woods referred to above are the same thing --
    :>> one is the name of the park, the other the name of the trail.
    :>
    :>Here is a link to a map for the Busse Woods Trail:
    :>
    :>http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=68&file=map_68b
    :>
    :>Here's a link to a small map of the Poplar Creek trail. It is an older map and
    :>only shows the northern and some of the western part of the loop. It does go
    :>around the forest preserve now, though.
    :>
    :>http://www.fpdcc.com/content/recfac_pc_fs.html
    :>
    :>The Illinois DOT has some good biking maps for free. Since I got mine from a
    :>friend, I don't know where to get them. The map lists 217-782-0834 as a number to
    :>call to get a map. There are several maps available, split up by region. The one
    :>I have is the Chicago/Northeastern Illinois Map 1, Official Bicycle Map. HTH.
    :>
    :>--
    :>Craig Holl
    :>Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI
    :>www.midwestroads.com
    :>*remove all numbers and caps to reply*
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :>
    : And another ......
    : http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/busse.gif

    Hi; We have a newer one too that includes the new bike bridge, but haven't
    quite verified that we really superimposed it right just yet (did it a few
    times using a mapping gps and then transposed points to the above map.

    (http://www.chicagopaddling.org/busse.gif is the same address for the
    "~" impaired )

    You might enjoy the dirt trails we have mapped... don't ride too fast,
    especially down the one that looks like the old country road as it ends
    in the lake...

    Also, where it says "Crossruts", those are deep ruts going across the dirt
    trail that are big enough to swallow my schwinn frontiers front tire and
    throw me... so be carefull on the single track (A co-worker and I rode them
    quite often and were always a mess from hitting the dirt... or creek...
    I have a good picture of him riding across the creek, hitting a rock and
    losing forward momentum... unfortunately he forgot he had clip on shoes, they
    jammed, and it was kinda like watching a Benny Hill show as he slowly fell
    into the creek.... (it was kinda funny because when we got to the creek he
    told me to watch him, the expert... ;-)

    Check http://www.chicagopaddling.org/kbike.jpg for a pick in/on the creek.

    --
    John Nelson
    Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

  9. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

  10. Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]
    :> Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> : http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/busse.gif
    :>
    :> (http://www.chicagopaddling.org/busse.gif is the same address for the
    :> "~" impaired )
    :>
    : John, this map just looks like a bunch of random dots vaguely resembling
    : Busse. Is it the link, or something I'm doing?

    Hmmmm, try the "save it to disk" option maybe and then view it with a graphics
    program as it doesn't look too bad to us. It's a bit "busy" because we have
    the paved bike trail, the south dirt trails and the water depths on it.

    --
    John Nelson
    Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
    http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
    (A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

  11. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > : news:[email protected]
    > :> Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :> : http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/busse.gif
    > :>
    > :> (http://www.chicagopaddling.org/busse.gif is the same address for the
    > :> "~" impaired )
    > :>
    > : John, this map just looks like a bunch of random dots vaguely resembling
    > : Busse. Is it the link, or something I'm doing?
    >
    > Hmmmm, try the "save it to disk" option maybe and then view it with a

    graphics
    > program as it doesn't look too bad to us. It's a bit "busy" because we

    have
    > the paved bike trail, the south dirt trails and the water depths on it.

    Thanks. Loading it into the plain old "Paint" program worked nicely. It's a
    nice map, and I will have to try out some of that singletrack.

  12. Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]
    :> Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :> : news:[email protected]
    :> :> Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> :> : http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/busse.gif
    :> :>
    :> :> (http://www.chicagopaddling.org/busse.gif is the same address for the
    :> :> "~" impaired )
    :> :>
    :> : John, this map just looks like a bunch of random dots vaguely resembling
    :> : Busse. Is it the link, or something I'm doing?
    :>
    :> Hmmmm, try the "save it to disk" option maybe and then view it with a
    : graphics
    :> program as it doesn't look too bad to us. It's a bit "busy" because we
    : have
    :> the paved bike trail, the south dirt trails and the water depths on it.
    :>
    : Thanks. Loading it into the plain old "Paint" program worked nicely. It's a
    : nice map, and I will have to try out some of that singletrack.

    Did you see http://www.chicagopaddling.org/kbike.jpg ? I always try to
    point people to it just to torment by buddy... ;-)