Where to sell a bike?

Veater

May 28, 2016
It looks like I am going to be off my feet for the next few months (broken foot) and so I'm thinking of selling my bike and maybe buy a new one when the time comes. I was probably due an upgrade soon anyway.

My partner's aunt is considering it, but if that falls through, I'm wondering where I would be best advertising it? Does anyone have any experience with selling a bike?

I don't know whether it's worth taking an ad out in the local newspaper as newspapers are going a bit out of style now that we have news outlets online. The only other thing I can think of is selling pages on Facebook?

You can set a garage sale or put a article in ebay or Amazon. Selling a bike through internet is probably your best chance. Publish it though facebook could work too.

You can always try eBay, or any online shop that would cater second hand things; you can always try taking ads on the newspaper if you want to sell it and maybe get some buyers there. But if I were you, I'd just keep it. Be a little more sentimental with these things. Keep it in your garage, stay it out of the rain to avoid rusting, and maybe your kid can play with it someday. It's much more rewarding that simply giving it away to a stranger after all the memories you have put into it.

But if I were you, I'd just keep it. Be a little more sentimental with these things.

I understand what you're saying but I try really hard not to grow attached to material things nowadays after a long period of almost hoarding level of attachment to belongings. My last house was awful, so cluttered and full of things I'd collected throughout my life. It was impossible to stay organised, and nearly impossible to keep the house clean and tidy. When we moved, I decided I wanted a fresh start, a "minimal" existence. Nowadays, I only keep stuff I have used at some point within the past 6 months, and I try to replace stuff often. It's the point of breaking what became a bad habit.

You can set a garage sale or put a article in ebay or Amazon. Selling a bike through internet is probably your best chance. Publish it though facebook could work too.
Yes, selling your bike online is the best option. Well, you can sell it in a local store if you want but I think that selling it online is the best idea.

You can always try eBay, or any online shop that would cater second hand things; you can always try taking ads on the newspaper if you want to sell it and maybe get some buyers there. But if I were you, I'd just keep it. Be a little more sentimental with these things. Keep it in your garage, stay it out of the rain to avoid rusting, and maybe your kid can play with it someday. It's much more rewarding that simply giving it away to a stranger after all the memories you have put into it.
Your suggestion is really beautiful. I agree with the fact that we all have an emotional connection with our cycles and it's best to keep it as a good memory. I would never sell my cycle if it's more than 5 years old.

On the Internet, you can also deal with any person in the world (worldwide). You would get better price on the Internet and that is why I would recommend you to sell it online.

It really depends on what kind of bike you are selling. If you have some old bike you can even go to a bike shop and offer it to people who repair bikes. They could use parts and stuff. I also find online shopping to be very popular. Sites like E-Bay are, at least in Serbia, crowded with bicycles. Facebook is another way to let the people know you are selling something and among your friends and their friends somebody is probably in need of a bike.

If you use Ebay you have to pack and ship the bike. You can charge the packing and shipping fees and have a shop take care of this for you.

But it is usually best to sell through Craigslist and MEET THE BUYER in a public location. That way you can stand in front of their car when they take it out for a test ride.

Reactions: SirJoe
If you use Ebay you have to pack and ship the bike. You can charge the packing and shipping fees and have a shop take care of this for you.

But it is usually best to sell through Craigslist and MEET THE BUYER in a public location. That way you can stand in front of their car when they take it out for a test ride.
Most people forget about the shipping when they try to sell something on ebay. Ebays commission isn't only calculated on the price of the product but also on the shipping.

It looks like I am going to be off my feet for the next few months (broken foot) and so I'm thinking of selling my bike and maybe buy a new one when the time comes. I was probably due an upgrade soon anyway.

My partner's aunt is considering it, but if that falls through, I'm wondering where I would be best advertising it? Does anyone have any experience with selling a bike?

I don't know whether it's worth taking an ad out in the local newspaper as newspapers are going a bit out of style now that we have news outlets online. The only other thing I can think of is selling pages on Facebook?

I would suggest www.offerup.com that way you deal with local buyers and dont have to ship anything. Buyers interested in your bike will contact you and pick up the item themselves at a time and place you choose. But with that said you willl have to be patient with the buyers as you may get some flakes but at least most will be legit since Offer up has some kind of ID verification which makes buyers and sellers safe to deal with.

I'll second Craigslist, that's where I bought my first road bike...

Yeah, I'm back again after battling some more medical issues...

Wow, 2005. How long have these forums been around?! :)

I just bought my bike recently off of craigslist, it is somewhat frankensteiny but the core of it is a giant, decent specs and should have been at least ~$1-200 more, but hey, that's CL

Try selling it to a pawn shop or you can check online. More specifically eBay.
That is a good idea but pawn shops might not give you the real value of the bike. The advantage of a pawn shop if you want to buy your bike back after you have recovered it might still bee there.

You can sell your bike at the local stores or you can choose to sell it online. Personally, I would recommend you to sell it online because you can get millions of buyer online. You can also sell it in the local stores but you will not get decent numbers of buyers and I don't think you will get a reasonable bid. Your product is exposed to more numbers of buyers if you sell it online and that is why I would recommend you to sell it online.

Honestly, I would just try a flea market. It will get it off your hands a lot quicker than posting it on ebay. You may have to take a lower price, but that could definitely be made up in what you pay in ebay fees. I'm not sure what Craiglist fees are right now so that could be an option as well.

Reactions: SirJoe
Honestly, I would just try a flea market. It will get it off your hands a lot quicker than posting it on ebay. You may have to take a lower price, but that could definitely be made up in what you pay in ebay fees. I'm not sure what Craiglist fees are right now so that could be an option as well.
This is a great solution, or even take out an ad in a local news paper. If the price is right there will always be a buyer.