Where to start?.....

peretzstern

May 5, 2012
Hi All, I’m an hour old member and am already feeling like I know less than I knew an hour ago L. About a month ago I decided to take on Cycling. I purchased a CAAD8. My first ride was 25 miles. I didn’t find it difficult to finish.

I read a bit about the “parts” (gears, seats, etc). I don’t really know what I purchased. I’m quite comfortable on the bike so that’s not an issue. As I progress, I may choose to swap/upgrade parts. How do I know what I have now?

I also would like to ask the group regarding exercise. Is there anything I can do to become stronger for climbs? I’m 36 years old, 5’ 11” and weight 240 pounds.

Where do I start?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by peretzstern .
...I decided to take on Cycling. I purchased a CAAD8.

................ Is there anything I can do to become stronger for climbs? I’m 36 years old, 5’ 11” and weight 240 pounds.
A CAAD8... nice bike. Your very lucky! I can certainly understand wanting to customize your bike [to make it your own] but Cannondale doesn't make any CADD8's with inferior parts ether. I wouldn't worry about upgrades yet. I'd work on wearing out the parts you already have.

Which brings me to the "stronger climbs" you also mentioned. If you could lighten the bicycles weight by... say 80 pounds... it might seem surprisingly easy to power up hills. The CADD8 is already pretty light weight.... so it might be best if you lose the weight from yourself.

Fortunately you have a bicycle to ride which will help you lose the fatty parts while you build and firm the muscle parts. Stronger muscle parts will also help you with the climbs. It's almost like you've planned this!

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx