Where will you be touring this summer?

byfred

Oct 25, 2003
The "Touring Season" for North America is quickly approaching. Have you planned your summer tour yet, and if our "paths" do happen to cross, how will I be able to recognize you? In all likelyhood, my wife and I will be in Atlantic Canada for July & August. We have RED Ortlieb Panniers, front & back and it would be really cool to meet someone from this network......byfred

Not north America, southern France. 6 of us are doing the Pyrenees from the Atlantic to the Mediteranean in 6 days in September. It will be a real challenge for me and I am really looking forward to it.

Other than that I will be mostly doing day trips for training when on family holidays in Scotland and on the local coast of Normandy with my cycling colleagues.

Regards

Steve D

Originally posted by byfred
The "Touring Season" for North America is quickly approaching. Have you planned your summer tour yet, and if our "paths" do happen to cross, how will I be able to recognize you? In all likelyhood, my wife and I will be in Atlantic Canada for July & August. We have RED Ortlieb Panniers, front & back and it would be really cool to meet someone from this network......byfred

The tour we are currently planning will take us through Denmark in late August. Until then, we will road test ourselves and any new gear in and around where we live in the UK. Visit the east coast and cycle through Cambridgeshire.

me and my gf will take a 3 week journey in july from hungary to venice, italy and back, through the alps of slovenia, austria and italy.

I plan to do my first tour this year. Or, at least what I think would be a tour. (You guys sound pretty hard core, and will probably think my plan is pretty whimpy.)

Anyhoo, my tour will be the credit card type, lasting four days. But, the route should be fun. It will start in my home, Chico, California, USA, which is in the central valley of California. I'll head west, entering the Mendocino National Forest at Newville, which is where the road turns to dirt/gravel. I'll ride up over Mendocino Pass (a bit over 5k feet elevation) and then down into Covelo, which is in Round Valley, where I'll check into a hotel. First day is 100 miles. Next day is pavement, and then some more dirt/gravel to the Pacific Coast, and then down Highway 1 south to Fort Bragg. 2nd day is, I think, about 50 miles or so. 3rd day I head back.

Fort Bragg has a really good beer brewery, which is the whole purpose of the trip. Naw, really, it's the shortest route to the coast from Chico. It gets really blazin hot here, and the coast is cool, so it'll be nice to ride there.

As I say, though, this'll be the first "tour" for me. I'd like to travel light. I'm open to any useful tips any of you might have.

MartyLane

Man i look at all of these places that all of you guys are going to be touring and i become jealous. I am 23 and i am looking forward to going to San Fransico and tour Cali. Maybe one day i will be able to enjoy the great rides of the world like the rest of you until then be thankful that you have the opportunity to see historic and outrageous sites. and think about us that are not capable of what you are doing at this time in life

Hey! there's nothing wrong with CC touring.

sometimes I like the freedom of taking everything with me and camping along the way and sometimes I like the freedom of lightweight touring and leaving all the camping gear behind.

I tend to do camping trips when I have the time to go for a couple of weeks, partly 'cos its cheaper and I use the streetmachine recumbent.

Long weekends I do with the old CC, I can get more distance in a short time that way and I don't need as much clothing etc so I use my lightweight Cannondale bike

have fun

Steve D

Originally posted by martylane
I plan to do my first tour this year. Or, at least what I think would be a tour. (You guys sound pretty hard core, and will probably think my plan is pretty whimpy.)

Anyhoo, my tour will be the credit card type, lasting four days. But, the route should be fun. It will start in my home, Chico, California, USA, which is in the central valley of California. I'll head west, entering the Mendocino National Forest at Newville, which is where the road turns to dirt/gravel. I'll ride up over Mendocino Pass (a bit over 5k feet elevation) and then down into Covelo, which is in Round Valley, where I'll check into a hotel. First day is 100 miles. Next day is pavement, and then some more dirt/gravel to the Pacific Coast, and then down Highway 1 south to Fort Bragg. 2nd day is, I think, about 50 miles or so. 3rd day I head back.

Fort Bragg has a really good beer brewery, which is the whole purpose of the trip. Naw, really, it's the shortest route to the coast from Chico. It gets really blazin hot here, and the coast is cool, so it'll be nice to ride there.

As I say, though, this'll be the first "tour" for me. I'd like to travel light. I'm open to any useful tips any of you might have.

MartyLane

i'm currently thinking of donig my first tour this summer. planning to go from north to the south of france where it borders with spain. bit daunted really cos although im a keen cyclist ive never done a long tour. longest trip was a sponsered ride along the nile which was only 270 mile over 5 days. We did a couple of 75-80 mile days and they were hard but i didn't train very well for it. still got get new bike to do it on yet.

Originally posted by ruckscd
Man i look at all of these places that all of you guys are going to be touring and i become jealous. I am 23 and i am looking forward to going to San Fransico and tour Cali. Maybe one day i will be able to enjoy the great rides of the world like the rest of you until then be thankful that you have the opportunity to see historic and outrageous sites. and think about us that are not capable of what you are doing at this time in life

Hey Nashville! Come up and ride the hills in the Smokies some time .I know Nashville is not flat,but sometimes I feel like every road here is up hill.Some of them real lung jerkers.Oh well, makes me feel good when I ride at the beach on the flat roads. :D

Hi! I've biked alot in Atlantic Canada. Last summer I biked across Labrador, ferried to New Foundland where I biked the Viking Trail and finished off with Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail which I had done twice before.

This summer I am going to bike the Gaspe Penninsula. There are four of us. Longest day is 136 miles. 1/2 loaded kind of Inn to Inn. Interested?

Don

Originally posted by Donald Veach
Hi! I've biked alot in Atlantic Canada. Last summer I biked across Labrador, ferried to New Foundland where I biked the Viking Trail and finished off with Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail which I had done twice before.

This summer I am going to bike the Gaspe Penninsula. There are four of us. Longest day is 136 miles. 1/2 loaded kind of Inn to Inn. Interested?

Don

Hi Don: We live in southern Ontario, west of London. My wife & I are "seniors" and can travel on the VIA Train, two for the price of one. It's a great deal, I think, and we will likely take the train to Campbellton or Bathurst, NB and tour the Maritimes from there. We have been down there many times before, and just can't say enough good things about that area. This summer we plan on doing the Nova Scotia coastline and the Saint John River Valley, as well as Cape breton and of course PEI. We camp, pretty much exclusively, but will take the odd Motel if the weather dictates. Our 100+ mile days are long gone, but we do about 50 to 70 on our better days. I get excited just thinking about it. We'll be watching for your group, perhaps in New Brunswick.......byfred

Summer is too late for me! I am flying to San Francisco on 5th April and plan to cycle on Hwy 1 to San Luis Obispo, greyhound to Fresno and cycle up hwy 41 to Yosemite National Park and back to SFO. About 9 cycling days and 3 days of cycling around San Francisco to get to know the city.
Good luck to all
Gianni

I'll be off to Ireland this year, during the month of June. That will make Country # 14.

I can't tell you where I'll be; that all depends on which way the wind blows me :)

rick

Originally posted by CayoMan
The tour we are currently planning will take us through Denmark in late August. Until then, we will road test ourselves and any new gear in and around where we live in the UK. Visit the east coast and cycle through Cambridgeshire.

If you are in Denmark, do NOT miss the Viking exhibit at Roskilde.
Rick

Fred -- we're in Fredericton but will be touring mid July in the Acadian penisula in New Brunswick, mostly based out of Kouchibouguac National Park.

My first self-supported tour will be this summer. I participated in Cycle NC in October 2003...500 miles in 7 days across NC. Great fun, but now I want to do a self-supported tour. I'll do a test weekend tour to Okracoke (beach at North Carolina coast) to work out the kinks and test out all of my equipment. Then the "big" tour to DC and back in late June. About 450 miles each way. I should easily be able to make it there in one week, hopefully less. Then spend July 4 holiday in DC, then bike back afterwards. I can hardly wait!

For anyone going to DC, ADC makes an excellent map of trails and bike routes in the major metropolitan area.
--D-Dog

My son and I will be heading to northern Minnesota this summer. A couple of weeks are set aside for some unsupported travel in some real wilderness areas. He likes the flats, I like the trees and lakes. We might rent some canoes and get off roads a bit and into another element - better fishing!