Wherefore to get a cheap dayglo jacket?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Calwell, May 25, 2003.

  1. Hello hello,

    I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am bemused at the cost of dayglo
    jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30. Where can I get her one at a reasonable price?

    Any suggestion gratefully recieved.

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Try

    http://www.ctcshop.co.uk/

    & go to waterproofs.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On 25 May 2003 10:54:27 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Try
    >
    >http://www.ctcshop.co.uk/

    You know I was looking at this site the other day and saw that the 'Lumotec Round Plus' <the front
    light I use, the one wioth the stand
    light> was 34 quid, as opposed to 20 Euro <say 14 quid + cheap postage
    too> from the German site http://www.bicycles.de !!!!!!

    I bought my Shimano hub dynamo from there too <thanks to this
    newsgroup> for 51 euro as opposed to 50 quid over here!

    Economics is not my game, but boy, it's hardly an incentive to purchase in this country is it??

    (Sorry bit off topic for the thread....rant over :- )

    bob

  4. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:21:50 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am bemused at the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.

    Waterproof jackets or over-waistcoats ?

    www.avrohouse.co.uk can be very cheap for waistcoats (weird shop
    - they're a surplus dealer for airlines and airports - all sorts of weird stuff pops up)

  5. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    "Michael Calwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BAF657CD.E4FF%[email protected]...
    > Hello hello,
    >
    > I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am bemused
    at
    > the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    Where
    > can I get her one at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Any suggestion gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Michael

    Been looking this upm myself recently - in work they allow us peons to order from one of the stores
    suppliers (Buck & Hickman I think) and afaik they have reflective waistcoat type thingies for about
    £8 - I was meaning to ask if this was a good price, but obviously it is . . .

    Tim S

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    Tim S wrote:

    > "Michael Calwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BAF657CD.E4FF%[email protected]...
    > > Hello hello,
    > >
    > > I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am bemused
    > at
    > > the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    > Where
    > > can I get her one at a reasonable price?
    > >
    > > Any suggestion gratefully recieved.
    > >
    > > Michael
    > >

    > Been looking this upm myself recently - in work they allow us peons to order from one of the
    > stores suppliers (Buck & Hickman I think) and afaik they have reflective waistcoat type thingies
    > for about £8 - I was meaning to ask if this was a good price, but obviously it is . . .

    Hampshire CC's Road safety shop has reflective waistcoats at just £5.00

    http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/RoadSafetyOnline/products/product-69729.stm

    Excellent value. They also do a range for children for just £4.00 in various colours.

    John B

  7. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Michael Calwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BAF657CD.E4FF%[email protected]...
    > Hello hello,
    >
    > I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am bemused
    at
    > the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    Where
    > can I get her one at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Any suggestion gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Michael

    Why not buy one from cycling charity Sustrans and help the cause ... go to
    http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/ and look in the Retail Goods area (site says they are out of stock
    but I believe they are available now)

    RG

  8. Alun Roberts

    Alun Roberts Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C322DE.C9D5EC30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

    Why a jacket?
    =20
    If the main reason is to be highly visible a 'builder's type' = waistcoat slipped over a
    cycling jacket works. Also can be worn summer = and winter. I got mine from a construction
    worker for a pint. up my = local.=20

    ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C322DE.C9D5EC30 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Why a jacket?</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2> </FONT></DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2> If = the main=20 reason is to be
    highly visible a 'builder's type' waistcoat = slipped over a=20 cycling jacket works.
    Also can be worn summer and winter. I got mine = from a=20 construction worker for a pint. up
    my local. </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C322DE.C9D5EC30--

  9. Mike Gayler

    Mike Gayler Guest

    Andy Dingley <[email protected]> writed in news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:21:50 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I am bemused at the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    >
    > Waterproof jackets or over-waistcoats ?
    >
    > www.avrohouse.co.uk can be very cheap for waistcoats (weird shop
    > - they're a surplus dealer for airlines and airports - all sorts of weird stuff pops up)

    If you're in the Nottingham area then Anchor Surplus on the Nottingham 'Cattle Market' site have ex
    police & MoD reflective jackets (or have had every time I've been in there)

    Mike Leicester

  10. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tim S wrote:
    >
    > > "Michael Calwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BAF657CD.E4FF%[email protected]...
    > > > Hello hello,
    > > >
    > > > I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am
    bemused
    > > at
    > > > the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    > > Where
    > > > can I get her one at a reasonable price?
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestion gratefully recieved.
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >

    > > Been looking this upm myself recently - in work they allow us peons to order from one of the
    > > stores suppliers (Buck & Hickman I think) and
    afaik
    > > they have reflective waistcoat type thingies for about £8 - I was
    meaning to
    > > ask if this was a good price, but obviously it is . . .
    >
    > Hampshire CC's Road safety shop has reflective waistcoats at just £5.00

    http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/RoadSafetyOnline/products/product-69729.stm

    > Excellent value. They also do a range for children for just £4.00 in various colours.
    >
    > John B

    Excellent, bought a waistcoat and a new puncture kit, thanks for that.

    Tim S

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Michael Calwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BAF657CD.E4FF%[email protected]...
    > Hello hello,
    >
    > I have finally managed to get the g/f on a bicycle. However, I am bemused
    at
    > the cost of dayglo jackets, none of which seem to be cheaper than £30.
    Where
    > can I get her one at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Any suggestion gratefully recieved.
    >
    > Michael

    Our local JB Sport in Walsall has Ron Hill fluorescent cycling jackets for £20. These have airated
    <s?> armpits (black nylon netting stuff), three pockets across back, ickle tiny reflective material
    triangle in middle of back, hood in collar. I find this is better than my reflective/ fluorescent
    'safety' waistcoat because it means my arms are highly visible when I signal ;-), always a bonus.
    cheers, Dave.

  12. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    www.cpc.co.uk have mesh ones for about £5. Nice and lightweight.