Where's Brian

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Tags:

  2. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote .google.com>...
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2004/witchhunt2
    >
    > I think that Brian would do well to read the final paragraph in this
    > rather good article. Perhaps he might find that a law student has a
    > better grasp of the world than he.

    About the author
    "Michelle Gallen is researching for a PhD in international law,
    examining the legal issues surrounding drugs in sport in a range of
    jurisdictions, with an end view to recommending a model law for
    anti-doping. She worked for several years as a senior advisor at the
    Australian Sports Drug Agency; is a selector for Triathlon Australia;
    was an elite swimmer with the Australian Institute of Sport and now
    races triathlons.

    "This article is a short version of a paper Ms Gallen is preparing for
    submission to legal journals."

  3. SMMB

    SMMB Guest

    "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote .google.com>...
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2004/witchhunt2
    > >
    > > I think that Brian would do well to read the final paragraph in this
    > > rather good article. Perhaps he might find that a law student has a
    > > better grasp of the world than he.

    > About the author
    > "Michelle Gallen is researching for a PhD in international law,
    > examining the legal issues surrounding drugs in sport in a range of
    > jurisdictions, with an end view to recommending a model law for
    > anti-doping. She worked for several years as a senior advisor at the
    > Australian Sports Drug Agency; is a selector for Triathlon Australia;
    > was an elite swimmer with the Australian Institute of Sport and now
    > races triathlons.

    Having worked for some years on-site in legal reform projects (USAID, etc.)
    in the ex-Soviet Union, and having co-authored, commented on and redacted
    "model laws" in their national implementations, I can assure you that the
    American industrial interests have primary, though "informal", rights of
    redaction over all content. This has been particularly true in the
    petroleum industry, as well as associated environmental laws.

    In one drafting exercise, we were warned *not* to resolve the lacunae of
    land regulation between two ministries affecting petroleum sludge disposal.
    The reasoning was, that under the existing legislation, the law on subsoil
    resources did not cover dumping it directly on the ground, just prevented
    burying it. That's to moral purpose your tax monies support. Don't expect
    any holy text to arise, uless it contains commercial benefits to existing
    giants.

    So, I imagine that the pharmaceutical industry, the medical field, and
    testing laboratories will all be able to make their contributions well ahead
    of anyone writing here, in the NY Times, or "in cahoots". Sorry for the
    extent of the reply, but those who don't craft laws don't understand the
    overreaching purposes.
    --
    Bonne route,

    Sandy
    Paris FR

  4. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    "SMMB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "K. J. Papai" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
    > news:[email protected]
    > > [email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote .google.com>...
    > > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2004/witchhunt2
    > > >
    > > > I think that Brian would do well to read the final paragraph in this
    > > > rather good article. Perhaps he might find that a law student has a
    > > > better grasp of the world than he.

    > > About the author
    > > "Michelle Gallen is researching for a PhD in international law,
    > > examining the legal issues surrounding drugs in sport in a range of
    > > jurisdictions, with an end view to recommending a model law for
    > > anti-doping. She worked for several years as a senior advisor at the
    > > Australian Sports Drug Agency; is a selector for Triathlon Australia;
    > > was an elite swimmer with the Australian Institute of Sport and now
    > > races triathlons.

    > Having worked for some years on-site in legal reform projects (USAID, etc.)
    > in the ex-Soviet Union, and having co-authored, commented on and redacted
    > "model laws" in their national implementations, I can assure you that the
    > American industrial interests have primary, though "informal", rights of
    > redaction over all content. This has been particularly true in the
    > petroleum industry, as well as associated environmental laws.
    >
    > In one drafting exercise, we were warned *not* to resolve the lacunae of
    > land regulation between two ministries affecting petroleum sludge disposal.
    > The reasoning was, that under the existing legislation, the law on subsoil
    > resources did not cover dumping it directly on the ground, just prevented
    > burying it. That's to moral purpose your tax monies support. Don't expect
    > any holy text to arise, uless it contains commercial benefits to existing
    > giants.
    >
    > So, I imagine that the pharmaceutical industry, the medical field, and
    > testing laboratories will all be able to make their contributions well ahead
    > of anyone writing here, in the NY Times, or "in cahoots". Sorry for the
    > extent of the reply, but those who don't craft laws don't understand the
    > overreaching purposes.

    Well written and well said Sandy.
    My sister-in-law works for USAID (food & nutrition in 3rd world), but
    in any case, what you say has a lot of relevant meaning, especially to
    the legal world.

    Certain people are all too eager (or happy?) to convict anyone who
    "tests positive" (most probably are cheats so no tears from me), but
    worse, to convict in a discussion forum, such as RBR, and drag those
    atheletes through the mud, of those certain world-class atheletes who
    have NEVER tested psotive for doping. (shitty grammatical sentence I
    know ;)

    -Ken