Where's Jan ?

bobke said:
Anyway... this is why I feel they designed the course for Jan, the selective climbs like AlpedHuez wont happen till he already has climbing in his legs as he always does the second or third week.l
I diasgree with argument about the third week because Lance usually had to stay together with Jan in last mountain stages, he didn't have to gain a time on him. Therefore, everybody thought that Jan is stronger during the last week than he is in the first part of the race. If Lance wanted to he would attack Jan in the end of race. I think Basso will peak for the last week and deadly mountain attack will prepeared for one of the Alpine stages.

I've analysed the profile of the Beret. The first two kilometres here is 5%, then 1km with 2% and then 10km with 6%, there is no 7% or 8% sections. At Courchavel Jan managed to survive first 10km with sections in range from 6% to 9%. If Jan's form is at the same level as in last year or a bit better he must have no problems to survive the Beret. The Beret is the easiest of any of the first Tour's mountaintop finishes Jan's carreer has ever experienced.

alibat said:
From the daily peloton news today:

Jan "U-Boat" Ullrich (T-Mobile). Ah, Jan. I know that it may sound strange, but there is something refreshing about a top-notch talent who isn't afraid to ride stage race like this and come in 112th, 10' behind the stage winner (that was the same time as McEwen and most of the other flatlanders, in case you're wondering). Maybe it's kind of old school: riding a race for preparation instead of spending hours and days and weeks of meticulously planned out and scientifically diagrammed training, only surfacing when the form is good enough for a high finish. Jan is still on schedule, and he'll be around in the Giro as well, staying out of trouble in the pack and building his strength for July while rivals like Basso burn their matches through the mountains of Italy. He knows what he's doing, and don't be surprised if he jumps out and crushes the field just once during the Giro – probably during a long time trial – just to remind people that he is now the only man in the pro peloton who has ever won the Tour de France. Come July, he will be the man to beat. For now, he's just a slumbering giant

Couldn't have put it better myself.

(www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?.pk=9286)

Well put! He is doing exactly what he said he would do.

Injured knee -yes
Lost training time-yes
Needs time to get back in top form -yes
Is this part of that time - yes

Didn't Mr. Armstrong,which I am a big fan of, drop out of an early race or two and sucked in a couple of others and still won the TDF?
Yet, for some it is easier to criticize than emphasis.

http://www.tdr2006.ch/

On the official Tour de Romandie webpage, go to the "galerie" heading. Today, it will show pictures from Stage 2. Near the middle of the thumbnail pictures is a picture of JU with a CSC rider. See the stomach and his "bulk", if you don't believe that he is holding his stomach in in some of the earlier pictures as one poster suggested.

At least with LA in Paris/Nice 2005, it was very cold, and some of the bulk was due to clothing layers that LA was wearing (note I am not contending LA was in good condition at that point). Here, there is no bulky clothing that clouds what JU's weight/physical appearance may be.

Musette - the weather in Europe has been dreadful this year - it's still cold and wet now - the temparature at Crans Montana was 10 degrees C today which is nothing special. The temparature in some parts of Switzerland this morning was -12! So your assertion that Armstrong's bulk was due to layers of extra clothing could equally easily apply to Ullrich - a rider well known to be prone to chest infections would surely go to some lengths to avoid such infection in the cold and the wet, wouldn't you think?

musette said:
http://www.tdr2006.ch/

On the official Tour de Romandie webpage, go to the "galerie" heading. Today, it will show pictures from Stage 2. Near the middle of the thumbnail pictures is a picture of JU with a CSC rider. See the stomach and his "bulk", if you don't believe that he is holding his stomach in in some of the earlier pictures as one poster suggested.

At least with LA in Paris/Nice 2005, it was very cold, and some of the bulk was due to clothing layers that LA was wearing (note I am not contending LA was in good condition at that point). Here, there is no bulky clothing that clouds what JU's weight/physical appearance may be.

I've a question for you - not that I am particularly interested in your answer but I'll ask it anyway.

Why is 93.5% of your total posts, to this site, are to only two threads in this entire site ?
Namely "where's Jan" thread and "Ullrich's new team is better than USPS" thread.

micron said:
Musette - the weather in Europe has been dreadful this year - it's still cold and wet now - the temparature at Crans Montana was 10 degrees C today which is nothing special. The temparature in some parts of Switzerland this morning was -12! So your assertion that Armstrong's bulk was due to layers of extra clothing could equally easily apply to Ullrich - a rider well known to be prone to chest infections would surely go to some lengths to avoid such infection in the cold and the wet, wouldn't you think?
look at the picture in cyclingnews "Jan watching the peloton" from yesterdays stage.
Forget the weather, forget the clothes. this man has got a bigger ass than your momma, a bigger ass than Jean Marie LeBlanc, his ass is now in the Guiness World Book of Records as the biggest ass on anyone who has ever won the tour de france inclduing Eddy Mercxk before his stomach surgery, Jan is fat and out of shape.\

A knee injury is one thing.
He doesnt like racing a bike so he doesnt actually care.
He is and always has been a huge talent with no drive or discipline to get it done.

GIT' ER DONE DUDE!!!!!!!!!!

bobke said:
He doesnt like racing a bike so he doesnt actually care.
He is and always has been a huge talent with no drive or discipline to get it done.

GIT' ER DONE DUDE!!!!!!!!!!

As profound as ever.

limerickman said:
As profound as ever.

Lim: I don't like riding a bike either. I love pain and do it for the hugh sores in make on my a** when I ride too far. :D
I try and crash as often as possible also.

micron said:
So your assertion that Armstrong's bulk was due to layers of extra clothing could equally easily apply to Ullrich - a rider well known to be prone to chest infections would surely go to some lengths to avoid such infection in the cold and the wet, wouldn't you think?

That assertion COULD apply to JU, but it doesn't because JU isn't wearing any extra layers of clothing. It's evident from the numerous pictures.

JU is wearing short sleeves in Switzerland in late April 2006. And his clothing doesn't seem bundled up. He doesn't seem to have extra layers of clothing on. He doesn't have a jacket on top of his jersey. Exposed skin beneath the knee and a bit above it. No hat.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/romandie06/index.php?id=romandie062/Par730540

Here is LA at Paris-Nice in early March 2005. Extra layers of clothing evident. Protective clothing such that no skin is exposed on the leg. He has at least a thick vest on top of long-sleeved jersey, and maybe more than that. Winter gloves. Winter hat.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/mar05/parisnice05/?id=stage0/cycling-paris-nice-amstr-42

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/mar05/parisnice05/?id=stage0/cycling-paris-nice-amstr-36

Disastrous day for Il Falco's overall win hopes at TdR, but Il Falco and JU finished in the same trailing group. Current GC ranking of JU is #125 out of 152 remaining cyclists -- at 22'06" to Cantador.

Well, of course he's wearing extra layers in those conditions when he's warming up - Ullrich, you may notice is wearing arm warmers pushed down to his wrists, thus baring his arms - but he is actually involved in the act of racing, not merely warming up.

But the real point is that what applies to Armstrong can also apply to Ullrich - and the latter is still sticking in there on a parcours that is considerably more taxing than that of the 2005 Paris-Nice. Please do a great champion the courtesy of treating him with some respect, at least.

Here is Lance a couple of weeks ago. Amazing what not training will do to you in a month or so.

Yeah .....That pic is from a TT he did 3 weeks ago. He finished 5 minutes 35 seconds in front of JU. 'The Krispy Kreme 200" which was previously won by Greg Lemond.
All this talk of heavy cyclists makes me think that a cycling team would be great advertising for "Jenny Craig."

wolfix said:
Yeah .....That pic is from a TT he did 3 weeks ago. He finished 5 minutes 35 seconds in front of JU. 'The Krispy Kreme 200" which was previously won by Greg Lemond.
All this talk of heavy cyclists makes me think that a cycling team would be great advertising for "Jenny Craig."

The advantage is that the whole peloton can slip stream off of one rider.

musette said:
LA told ................

This is becoming irritating you know... Seriously... Don't you have anything better to do with your spare time than spend it on cheap/easy/bad/not-so-funny jokes on someone's eating habbits? Chances are that fat or underachiever that he may be, Jan Ullrich has been more successful in his profession than you (or any of us for that matter) could ever dream of becoming in yours.
I had a teacher back in elementary school who used to tell us that the line between being funny and being ridiculous is a thin one...

musette said:
Disastrous day for Il Falco's overall win hopes at TdR, but Il Falco and JU finished in the same trailing group. Current GC ranking of JU is #125 out of 152 remaining cyclists -- at 22'06" to Cantador.

With a week to go to the Giro, Savoldelli shouldn't be suffering from gastro problems.

You've spouted on here long enough about how well organised DC are - and by the looks of things it looks like they've come down with gastro problems.

limerickman said:
With a week to go to the Giro, Savoldelli shouldn't be suffering from gastro problems.

You've spouted on here long enough about how well organised DC are - and by the looks of things it looks like they've come down with gastro problems.
Okay ! Who Farted ?
:D