Where's Jan ?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Mar 9, 2006.

1. bobke

bobke New Member

Yes, I've been to Paris more times than you've gotten laid.

2. musette

musette New Member

Here's a rough translation of the French description of JU's "performance":

"JU (who, you know, has been making the photographers work overtime) completed the 20.4 km course in 28'47". A time that is very far from that of which [not sure what "bidon-libre" means] is capable. But also very far from what is required for success in the Tour de France, which will be upon us in some weeks!"

How apt that Cadel Evans, former potential domestique to JU in the Tour de France (although not utilized by Godefroot), would win the TdR and the time trial!

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

.....and you're replying to yourself.

4. musette

musette New Member

JU finishes 115th out of 120 in the TdR. :D

5. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

And was laughing during an interview today saying that the last of this week will be the first in july:D

He looked fine and much more confident than in an interview that i saw last week.

6. musette

musette New Member

7. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Member

Maybe they just live at the same house, maybe they are partners and use the same computer and one didn't log out properly before the other one tried to use it. ;)

Looks like the cat is out of the bag.

8. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Finally something we agree on Amusette. I was always filthy that Evans was left out of T Mobile's squad two years ago. Maybe now Evans will be allowed to reach his potential.

It is sad to see Jan. He ought to retire or do some serious training.

9. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Great performance of Cadel Evans, i think this makes some people nervous for the TdF...

10. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Ignoring the "war-posts" the conclusion remains the same. Jan is far from being a serious TdF contender at least for now. And although it's possible (and probably the case) that he will appear in Strassbourg fit enough, the whole procedure that he has to follow to come there (very intensive schedule) will certainly effect his race. He won't have the luxury at all to rest and we know that to be competitive and fresh you have to rest too (inside this 2 month intensive schedule) That leaves him only 6 weeks of hard training or he' ll go for 7-8 and will be burnt out.

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I disagree.

Ullrich's been out for a month with a knee injury.
    His training was badly affected by that absence.

The Giro was announced as part of his 2006 programme in November 2005.
    Therefore JU and TMO had decided that miles gained in competition was going to be the strategy for 06.
    Romandie and indeed the Giro will be all about getting distances in for JU.
    He never intended to compete for overall GC at either the Giro or Romandie.
    (Personally, I would have preferred to have seen him build a programme based on going for overall GC at Giro as well as the TDF : but then again, I'm old school!).

12. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Jan did ride the Giro as training in the past and it didn't work at all. It's a tactic that was not followed by none of the Tour contenders in the last previous years. Anyway, only if he will perform in the 3rd week of the Giro he will proove me (and others, too) wrong. His work will have to pay dividends...

13. YIMan

YIMan New Member

Basso road the Giro last year, didn't he?

14. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Jan did ride the Giro in 2001 and it worked very well, he was second in the overall of the TdF, Basso did it last year and was also second (TdF).....

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Apparently second place is the same as dead last to some. I personally would give my a** to have just ridden and finished the TDF.
    I guess I am just not demanding enough.

16. musette

musette New Member

Moderated

17. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Yes and no, ofcourse TM want Jan to win the Tour but at TM they know that the competion is hard and there will be only one winner. They won't say it openly but they won't have a big problem with a second place.

18. musette

musette New Member

That's another difference between TM and DC. Maybe this year DC would be happy with second place, but that is never their long-term goal. I think Bruyneel would rather try for first, with an increased possibility of not making second, than securing second firmly, in most normal strategic scenarios.

19. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Except that DC won't be with the first three at the TdF and i don't think Savoldelli will defend his title in this years Giro either (he won't win against Basso, Simoni and/or Cunego with the Giro route in 2006..). In the coming years i expect the grand Tours to be dominated by Valverde, Basso, Cunego and maybe upcoming young riders like T. Dekker. Cancellara could be a suprise in the coming years (although he has to work on his climbing), i don't see any rider of DC at the front in the coming years. If he comes back, Saul Raisin could be the only serious American contender for GC in the coming years...

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

We agree somewhat on that, as Ullrich is pushed to win the TDF. Although he has won it before it has been so long, it is as if he never won at all in many peoples mind.
    He is usually under pressure to win the Tour de Suisse ,but it has become of less signifigance because of so many failed attempt at a second TDF win. It is more a race of possible opportunity with him than a planned strategy race.
    There is no doubt that the pressures of age and "last chances" have become a factor this year.
    We shall see if this pressure is a detriment of a motivational factor.