Where's Jan ?

limerickman said:
Thanks for the update fellas.

Yeah, I remember Jan in the younger days and all he spoke was German (perfectly understandable give that E.Germany was not part of Western Europe)
and he wouldn't have had exposure to English/French etc.

But it is news to me that JU can now actually communicate in English.
From what i have read, his english skills has improved quite a bit. If I recall right at Armstrong's post TDF party, Jan spoke for about a minute at it in english, with not too much hesitation. He just speaks it with a real heavy accent, again from what I have read.

bauerfan said:
The German press is now reporting what Jhuskey has been telling us for a while concerning Jan's fall plans

http://www.radsport-aktiv.de/sport/sportnews_38993.htm

In short he is, as jhuskey has told us , getting married to Sara Steinhauser.

I tried not to be too vocal about it, but yes he plans to be married this fall. Much of my faith in his renewed ability this season is based on his plans for the future and the knowledge that she pushes him to train and win and his stable life and focus .
Being married ,I am familiar with the concept although my wife does not get payed to be my personal manager,it's just her hobby.

jhuskey said:
I tried not to be too vocal about it, but yes he plans to be married this fall. Much of my faith in his renewed ability this season is based on his plans for the future and the knowledge that she pushes him to train and win and his stable life and focus .
Being married ,I am familiar with the concept although my wife does not get payed to be my personal manager,it's just her hobby.

Well done, JH.
I know you've been hinting at this (Ullrich getting married that is - and not Mrs JH being unpaid as your personal manager).

I don't know much about Sara Steinhauser - does she cycle? Is she a good cyclist?

limerickman said:
Well done, JH.
I know you've been hinting at this (Ullrich getting married that is - and not Mrs JH being unpaid as your personal manager).

I don't know much about Sara Steinhauser - does she cycle? Is she a good cyclist?

Yes she does and I understand that she is pretty good, for a girl that is.

jhuskey said:
Yes you can out speak now!

For people who can watch Astra sattelite tv. On N-TV (a German news tv station) there will be a special broadcast about Jans TdF preparation. A team of N-TV followed him the last months. The broadcast will start at 20:25 (Berlin, that's 19:25 in the UK) and is 35 minutes long.

Edit: N-TV has a livestream on the net at: http://www.n-tv.de/61215.html and the broadcast is tonight!

I think to some extent the course is taylored for Ullrich.

With a well publicicised stronger right leg there is a need to have plenty of left hand corners to allow him to exploit the strength rather than be handicapped by it.

Hopefully there won't be too many complaints from other riders.

bobke said:
Lets see now. Paul Sherwen road the Tour de France ummm like 7 times and finished 5 of those. What cycling fraternity would question his insiders knowledge or credentials?
He then worked as PR person for Motorola, so its obvious that his Lance connection would be why you would reject him.

No one questioned Sherwens cycling record.

His impartiality as a commentator was being questioned - try read the posts before pontificating.

bobke said:
I have heard Paul call races over and over live when he actually predicts exactly what is gonna happen and when, uncanny. And when it comes to calling a race, especially a sprint, Phil Liggett is in a class of his own...he is to cycling what Howard Cosell was to boxing with Ali.

Even Bob Roll said as much when I went drinking with Phil and Paul and Bob a couple of years ago.

I recall Liggett getting his facts wrong........and Sherwen too.
They used commentate for Channel4 over here back in the 1980's.

And you claim to have gone for a drink with Bog Roll, Sherbert and Leggit, too?

bobke said:
Interesting trivia, when Alain Bondue of Cofidis came to the US to meet with Armstrong and size up how sick he was in 1996 , it was Paul Sherwen doing the translation between Lance and Bondue at hospital bedside. Bondue was Sherwen's DS when he rode on a French team in the TdF.

So before anyone goes out and criticizes Sherwen, recall he was a real racer and a real hard man in the TdF and akso that he was a loyal friend to a then presumably dying man. Something to think about before discarding him with the typical patronising know-it-all attitude so omnipresent on these threads.

........hmmmmmmmmm.

Who are you trying to kid here?
You claim to post a bit of trivia about Bondue being Sherwens former DS and Sherwen being the good samaritan and translating in a hospital.
That's bit of trivia is lifted straight from Armstrong's book, for godsake.

What you don't appear to be aware of - and which is a bit of genuine trivia - is that Bondue and Sherwen are close anyhow.

Bondue was Sherwen's best man.

But obviously that bit of trivia never came up in the pub.

I like the way Phil and Paul do the show. And this is why. Cycling is a sport that is more complex then what it seems on the surface. Phil and Paul explains things in a simple way. They appeal to people and explain the sport in simple terms that a newbie can understand. And if a newbie gets interested, that is good for Amerrican cycling.
But if you already follow cycling then you really do not need them to explain what is going on. If you follow cycling you can find a better source of information.
Bob Roll is well liked and is getting better. I'm not a big fan myself, but I like him doing the explaining of the sport, so i don't have to explain everything to my friends that are watching.