Where's Lances ADA's?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brian Roth, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
    wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

    Tags:

  2. "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
    > wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

    No wonder he isn't dropping everyone in the climbs this year.

    K. Gringioni delusional Masters Fattie

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
    > wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

    Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
    every stage.

    Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
    prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
    "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of money
    each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The Bontrager wheels
    are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and they probably brake a lot better. I have not
    seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or maybe even 2001.

  4. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
    > > wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...
    >
    > Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
    > every stage.
    >
    > Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
    > prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
    > "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of money
    > each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The Bontrager
    > wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
    they
    > probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or
    > maybe even 2001.

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Joshua Zlotlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
    aren't
    > "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still around
    100
    > grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
    > really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
    wants
    > him to.

    You mean to say that it is more than a happy cooincidence that he happens to be using his
    sponsor's products?

    > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
    > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >
    > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
    > >

    > >"Nick Burns" <chr[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
    > >> every stage.
    > >>
    > >> Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
    > >> prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are
    good
    > >> enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he
    > >> got sick of spending that kind of money each
    year
    > >> for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment.
    The
    > >> Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
    > >they
    > >> probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS
    team
    > >> since early 2002 or maybe even 2001.
    > >>

    > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
    notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.

    Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
    wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?

    [email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels aren't "super light." 1190
    > grams with skewers is pretty light, but still around 100 grams or so heavier than the old wheels.
    > The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those really are Bontragers he's riding) is because
    > Trek wants him to.
    >
    > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
    > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >
    > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
    > >

    > >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
    > >> every stage.
    > >>
    > >> Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
    > >> prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
    > >> "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of
    > >> money each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The
    > >> Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
    > they
    > >> probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or
    > >> maybe even 2001.
    > >>

    > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
    > notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.

    Everyone sooner or later knows every damn bolt that Lance uses on his Tour sleds.

    > Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
    > wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?

    No. What does that have to do with anything?

    > [email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
    aren't
    > > "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still
    around 100
    > > grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
    > > really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
    wants
    > > him to.
    > >
    > > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
    > > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > > >
    > > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
    > > >

    > > >"Nick Burns" <c[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]...

    Bontrager

    year
    The
    > > they
    > > >>

    > > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  8. Glhudson1

    Glhudson1 Guest

    >Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
    >wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

    usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel on the tt
    bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels.

    gary

  9. Brian-<< Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this
    year. I wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS... >><BR><BR>

    The pressure of lots of $$-TREK/Bontrager, at least decals this year..after USPS rode Mavic almost
    exclusively last year..

  10. GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel on
    the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >><BR><BR>

    Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...

  11. Joe Yannie

    Joe Yannie Guest

    If you look at the hub and spoke pattern it looks to be an actual Bontrager wheel. Which may be
    superior to the ADA's because it would suffer less in the crosswinds. Which may be a bunch of crap
    anyway because he would be protected from any crosswind. The other question is, why the whole team
    in not using the carbon triple lights?

    "chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
    > notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.
    >
    > Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
    > wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?
    >
    > [email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
    aren't
    > > "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still
    around 100
    > > grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
    > > really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
    wants
    > > him to.
    > >
    > > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
    > > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > > >
    > > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
    > > >

    > > >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]...

    Bontrager

    year
    The
    > > they
    > > >>

    > > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  12. >GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel
    >on the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >>
    >
    >Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria1833
    >Pearl St.Boulder, CO,
    >80302(303)440-3535http://www.vecchios.com"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Bontrager sells a disc, though I've heard it's made by Zipp.
    http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=118&pt=10

    Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  13. Martin Appel

    Martin Appel Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    Lance's "ADAs" are Lightweights, rather. (Lance prefers the original, it seems..) German TV featured
    a story recently about the "Lightweight" company in which the owners told the story of Johan
    Bruyneel personally calling and ordering 4 sets last year (he got one set - the waiting list is
    long, and no bonusses for anybody).

    > enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got
    > sick of spending that kind of money each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using
    > "old" equipment. The

    What gives you the impression you need a new set every year? If you know some pro who throws away
    his equipment every year, i'd sure like to have a look at his favourite dumpyard. Some of these
    wheelsets have been around in the peloton for years.

    > Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and they probably brake a lot
    > better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team

    I heard Lance had a bad experience going downhill with his LWs at the Dauphine. Maybe they also
    don't fit the Shimano 10spd cogs? they have standard 9-spd DA hubs.

    Martin

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Martin Appel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Lance's "ADAs" are Lightweights, rather. (Lance prefers the original, it seems..) German TV
    > featured a story recently about the "Lightweight" company in which the owners told the story of
    > Johan Bruyneel personally calling and ordering 4 sets last year (he got one set - the waiting list
    > is long, and no bonusses for anybody).
    >
    > > enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he
    > > got sick of spending that kind of money each
    year
    > > for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The
    >
    > What gives you the impression you need a new set every year?

    You don't. My impression is that LANCE does not like using old equipment.

    > If you know some pro who throws away his equipment every year, i'd sure like to have a look at his
    > favourite dumpyard. Some of these wheelsets have been around in the peloton for years.
    >
    > > Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
    they
    > > probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS
    team

    > I heard Lance had a bad experience going downhill with his LWs at the Dauphine. Maybe they also
    > don't fit the Shimano 10spd cogs? they have standard 9-spd DA hubs.
    >
    > Martin

  15. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel
    > on the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...

    Don't know if Bontrager "makes" a disc but they sure market one. see:
    http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=118&pt=10