Where's Lances ADA's?

Brian Roth

Guest
Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

"brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
> wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

No wonder he isn't dropping everyone in the climbs this year.

K. Gringioni delusional Masters Fattie

"brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
> wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
every stage.

Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
"Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of money
each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The Bontrager wheels
are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and they probably brake a lot better. I have not
seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or maybe even 2001.

I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
> > wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...
>
> Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
> every stage.
>
> Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
> prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
> "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of money
> each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The Bontrager
> wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
they
> probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or
> maybe even 2001.

"Joshua Zlotlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
aren't
> "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still around
100
> grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
> really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
wants
> him to.

You mean to say that it is more than a happy cooincidence that he happens to be using his
sponsor's products?

> >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
> >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> >
> >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
> >

> >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
> >> every stage.
> >>
> >> Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
> >> prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are
good
> >> enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he
> >> got sick of spending that kind of money each
year
> >> for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment.
The
> >> Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
> >they
> >> probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS
team
> >> since early 2002 or maybe even 2001.
> >>

> Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.

Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?

[email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels aren't "super light." 1190
> grams with skewers is pretty light, but still around 100 grams or so heavier than the old wheels.
> The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those really are Bontragers he's riding) is because
> Trek wants him to.
>
> >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
> >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> >
> >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
> >

> >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Mavic is putting the thumb screw in the USPS team to use the Bontrager wheels for each and
> >> every stage.
> >>
> >> Seriously, what I heard was that Lance worked with Trek on some of the designs (approval of
> >> prototypes) and I guess he feels that they are good enough to use. Those ADA and German
> >> "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got sick of spending that kind of
> >> money each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The
> >> Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
> they
> >> probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team since early 2002 or
> >> maybe even 2001.
> >>

> Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
> notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.

Everyone sooner or later knows every damn bolt that Lance uses on his Tour sleds.

> Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
> wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?

No. What does that have to do with anything?

> [email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
aren't
> > "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still
around 100
> > grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
> > really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
wants
> > him to.
> >
> > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
> > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> > >
> > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
> > >

> > >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

Bontrager

year
The
> > they
> > >>

> > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

>Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this year. I
>wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS...

usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel on the tt
bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels.

gary

Brian-<< Previous Tour's has seen him on ADA (or ADA like) wheels on certain stages, but not this
year. I wonder if Mavic is putting some pressure on USPS... >><BR><BR>

The pressure of lots of $$-TREK/Bontrager, at least decals this year..after USPS rode Mavic almost
exclusively last year..

GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel on
the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >><BR><BR>

Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...

If you look at the hub and spoke pattern it looks to be an actual Bontrager wheel. Which may be
superior to the ADA's because it would suffer less in the crosswinds. Which may be a bunch of ****
anyway because he would be protected from any crosswind. The other question is, why the whole team
in not using the carbon triple lights?

"chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would be very surprised if the Bontrager's Lance rides are the same ones advertised. Pro's are
> notorious for decaling different wheels or having "specials" made.
>
> Having said that, many sponsors are adamant about use of their products in the big races. Ever
> wonder why no one (of consequence) ever uses an SRM in the Tour?
>
> [email protected] (Joshua Zlotlow) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Unless the weights listed on the website include skewers, the wheels
aren't
> > "super light." 1190 grams with skewers is pretty light, but still
around 100
> > grams or so heavier than the old wheels. The real reason Lance is using Bontragers (if those
> > really are Bontragers he's riding) is because Trek
wants
> > him to.
> >
> > >Subject: Re: Where's Lances ADA's? From: "Joe Yannie" [email protected] Date: 7/15/03
> > >11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> > >
> > >I think these are plenty light http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=139&pt=10
> > >

> > >"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

Bontrager

year
The
> > they
> > >>

> > Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

>GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel
>on the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >>
>
>Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria1833
>Pearl St.Boulder, CO,
>80302(303)440-3535http://www.vecchios.com"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Bontrager sells a disc, though I've heard it's made by Zipp.
http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=118&pt=10

Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

Lance's "ADAs" are Lightweights, rather. (Lance prefers the original, it seems..) German TV featured
a story recently about the "Lightweight" company in which the owners told the story of Johan
Bruyneel personally calling and ordering 4 sets last year (he got one set - the waiting list is
long, and no bonusses for anybody).

> enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he got
> sick of spending that kind of money each year for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using
> "old" equipment. The

What gives you the impression you need a new set every year? If you know some pro who throws away
his equipment every year, i'd sure like to have a look at his favourite dumpyard. Some of these
wheelsets have been around in the peloton for years.

> Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and they probably brake a lot
> better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS team

I heard Lance had a bad experience going downhill with his LWs at the Dauphine. Maybe they also
don't fit the Shimano 10spd cogs? they have standard 9-spd DA hubs.

Martin

"Martin Appel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Lance's "ADAs" are Lightweights, rather. (Lance prefers the original, it seems..) German TV
> featured a story recently about the "Lightweight" company in which the owners told the story of
> Johan Bruyneel personally calling and ordering 4 sets last year (he got one set - the waiting list
> is long, and no bonusses for anybody).
>
> > enough to use. Those ADA and German "Lightweight" wheels are very low production and maybe he
> > got sick of spending that kind of money each
year
> > for a few days use, and is equally opposed to using "old" equipment. The
>
> What gives you the impression you need a new set every year?

You don't. My impression is that LANCE does not like using old equipment.

> If you know some pro who throws away his equipment every year, i'd sure like to have a look at his
> favourite dumpyard. Some of these wheelsets have been around in the peloton for years.
>
> > Bontrager wheels are not going to stop anyone from winning the Tour and
they
> > probably brake a lot better. I have not seen Mavic wheels on the USPS
team

> I heard Lance had a bad experience going downhill with his LWs at the Dauphine. Maybe they also
> don't fit the Shimano 10spd cogs? they have standard 9-spd DA hubs.
>
> Martin

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> GLHudson-<< usps is sponsored by bontrager this year. with the exception of the hed 3 front wheel
> on the tt bikes, they all ride bontrager wheels. >><BR><BR>
>
> Or at least decals...Bontrager doesn't make a disc...

Don't know if Bontrager "makes" a disc but they sure market one. see:
http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=118&pt=10