where's the outrage???

Scott

Guest
STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
abuse among its performers.

Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.

WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
an independent agency.

"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
one," McMahon said.

Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
or what??

Scott wrote:
> STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
> biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
> drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
> abuse among its performers.
>
> Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
> was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
>
> WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
> television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
> in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
> that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
> an independent agency.
>
> "The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
> one," McMahon said.
>

> Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> or what??

Supposedly for all of the above, but do you really have faith in
Vince? He's so sleazy he'd have to crawl up out of the slime to kiss
the Enron criminals' asses.
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> > STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
> > biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
> > drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
> > abuse among its performers.
> >
> > Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
> > was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
> >
> > WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
> > television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
> > in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
> > that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
> > an independent agency.
> >
> > "The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
> > one," McMahon said.
> >

> > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> > or what??

> Supposedly for all of the above, but do you really have faith in
> Vince? He's so sleazy he'd have to crawl up out of the slime to kiss
> the Enron criminals' asses.
> Bill C

Don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel.

On 5 Dec 2005 16:57:20 -0800, "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

>STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
>biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
>drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
>abuse among its performers.
>
>Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
>was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
>
>WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
>television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
>in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
>that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
>an independent agency.
>
>"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
>one," McMahon said.
>

>Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
>wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
>going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
>or what??

Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
percentages and you wonder what they'll test.

Ron

They will test to make sure that they are not using too much dope. The
threshold will be somewhat high.
news:[email protected]...

RonSonic wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2005 16:57:20 -0800, "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Following the death of one of pro wrestling's
> >biggest stars, World Wrestling Entertainment says it is starting random
> >drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug
> >abuse among its performers.
> >
> >Eddie Guerrero, 38, had struggled with drug abuse for years before he
> >was found dead last month in a Minneapolis hotel shortly before a show.
> >
> >WWE, whose wrestling programming is among the highest-rated on cable
> >television, said it will announce details of the new testing procedure
> >in the coming weeks. Chairman Vince McMahon told wrestlers last week
> >that the new policy would involve frequent, random tests conducted by
> >an independent agency.
> >
> >"The policy is going to be very fair. No special consideration for any
> >one," McMahon said.
> >

> >Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> >wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> >going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> >or what??

> Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
> carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
> percentages and you wonder what they'll test.
>
> Ron

We should test for the ability to recognize rhetorical questions.

Scott wrote:

> Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> or what??

I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
traveling between gigs.

On 5 Dec 2005 23:03:38 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
>around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
>the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
>the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
>traveling between gigs.

Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
toke together.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2005 23:03:38 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
> >around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
> >the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
> >the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
> >traveling between gigs.

> Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
> with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
> toke together.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Sort of like rugby players having beers together after a game?

Scott wrote:

> Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> or what??

Dumbass -

All of the above.

Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
take a tremendous amount of punishment. It's not surprising - look at
what they're doing - flying off the ropes, landing in the ring,
sometimes landing *outside* of the ring and busting furniture on each
other.

The steroids to recover from the punishment and the recreationals to
get "up" for the melodromatic overacting for the performances.

Grapevine says that "professional" wrestling has the highest drug abuse
rate of any avocation. Ya, it seems stupid because the "sport" is so
stupid, but when one imagines what they have to do, then the drug use
becomes even more obvious than that of the NFL.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> >
> > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> > or what??

> Dumbass -
>
> All of the above.
>
> Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
> take a tremendous amount of punishment.

Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
have the facts.

On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
>center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
>have the facts.

Dumbass dumbass-

I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
other than landing head first on the hardest object. That's why they
go to schools for that sort of thing. OTOH, even then, there has to be
a level of abuse. The 'reportedly' is until we have a graduate of
their local wrestling school as a member of rbr. Bill C may be a
volunteer, but he's getting a touch old.

I did trip over a cord on stage once and fell off into folding chairs.
Didn't hurt much, but wouldn't want to do it every day. No one hit me
with a chair after I landed, either - just stood around laughing.

Tough crowd.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

[email protected] wrote:
> I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
> around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
> the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
> the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
> traveling between gigs.

Disquieting.

Bob Schwartz

RicodJour wrote:
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
> > >
> > > Not to make light of E. Guerrero's passing, but the idea of pro
> > > wrestling instituting a drug policy just seems toooo funny. Are they
> > > going to test for performance enhancing drugs, or recreational drugs,
> > > or what??

> > Dumbass -
> >
> > All of the above.
> >
> > Those guys do something like 5 shows a week. Reportedly their bodies
> > take a tremendous amount of punishment.

> Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
> center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
> have the facts.

Dumbass -

I'm no xpert on professional wrestling. Just saw a short documentary
about it on TV.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

RonSonic wrote:

> Huh? Here we've got a business that's full of 30 - 45 year old performers each
> carrying a couple hundred pounds of muscle at remarkably low body fat
> percentages and you wonder what they'll test.

I'm certain that the WWE's drug testing policy will be as real as their
fights.

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
> >center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
> >have the facts.

> Dumbass dumbass-
>
> I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
> other than landing head first on the hardest object.

Oh, I see. It's safe to assume they have techniques to make their
antics not be an exertion, but it's not safe to assume that a guy
getting clotheslined into a backflip (even if it's an act) might punish
the body. Thanks for clearing that up.

On 6 Dec 2005 08:52:08 -0800, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Oh, I see. It's safe to assume they have techniques to make their
>antics not be an exertion, but it's not safe to assume that a guy
>getting clotheslined into a backflip (even if it's an act) might punish
>the body.

The 'inability to read for comprehension' award has been won - I'd
send you the directions as to where to claim your prize, but they're
written down and I don't want to be responsible for you getting lost.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Dumbass -
>
> The steroids to recover from the punishment and the recreationals to
> get "up" for the melodromatic overacting for the performances.

dumbass,

the main reason for using drugs is to have the extreme physique one
needs to be a successful character.

that said most of the drug related wrestling deaths (too many to list)
are due to recreational drugs.

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2005 06:48:06 -0800, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Reportedly? You don't routinely dive off the top of your entertainment
> >center onto metal folding chairs? Try it - get back to me when you
> >have the facts.

> Dumbass dumbass-
>
> I think that it is a safe assumption that a pro has a few techniques
> other than landing head first on the hardest object. That's why they
> go to schools for that sort of thing. OTOH, even then, there has to be
> a level of abuse. The 'reportedly' is until we have a graduate of
> their local wrestling school as a member of rbr. Bill C may be a
> volunteer, but he's getting a touch old.
>
> I did trip over a cord on stage once and fell off into folding chairs.
> Didn't hurt much, but wouldn't want to do it every day. No one hit me
> with a chair after I landed, either - just stood around laughing.
>
> Tough crowd.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

Hell yeah
When I was 18 I would've done it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for
most of them it's like most of show business. Almost all of them make
**** for money, think d3 US pros here, spend their lives driving from
city to city and state to state, to go work in some HS gym instead of
an industrial park.
I have no illusions about my wrestling ability though. Two of my Air
Force friends were really good amateur wrestlers, one much smaller than
me, think average cyclist, and one much bigger. I'm pretty sure he's
the Craig Ewert here:
http://tinyurl.com/7jawh
When I'd get a little cocky Mike, my roomate, would tie me in a knot
and almost remove a limb or two. Craig would just abuse anyone who
tried him without doing any real damage though there was no doubt he
could've. Good thing they both were really even tempered nice guys.
It's amazing what a real good wrestler can do.
Would've been nice to have a script since I was getting trounced
without one. ;-)
Bill C

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> >I thought McMahon got busted for steroids 10-15 years ago; it was
> >around the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan (patriot good guy who legitimized
> >the use of a 2x4) and the Iron Sheikh (Iranian rulebreaker known for
> >the Camel Clutch) got busted for weed on some interstate while
> >traveling between gigs.

> Amusing mental picture of two guys that hit each other over the head
> with metal chairs in public pulling off to the side of the road to
> toke together.

Sounds like just another Bay Area training ride with the
cyclocrossers ...

Ben
It's the guys that hit each other with folding chairs in private
that worry me