Where's Trek?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by GABAjunkie, May 27, 2007.

1. GABAjunkie

GABAjunkie New Member

Hey guys (and gals, lol). I've been browsing this forum for a bit and have noticed very little talk of Trek on here. I thought Trek was one of if not the largest, most popular brand??

Tags:

2. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

Trek is still around, they own other companies such as Lemond, I have also noticed the little talk of them.

3. GABAjunkie

GABAjunkie New Member

oh, I know they're still around. They're doin very well. I meant where are they here. I don't see much talk of them, or GF, or Lemond.

I ride mountain only now but would like to buy a road bike in the future. My LBS deals exclusively in Trek/Lemond but I don't see much talk about them here.

4. gravelmuncher

gravelmuncher New Member

They used to have some guy riding their bikes - can't recall him off the top of my head - who was evidently more popular than the bikes. He doesn't seem to ride as much nowadays, and thus his bike doesn't get as much attention.

...allegedly

gm

5. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Nothing wrong with them - I ride an older Trek (1998 vintage) because it's comfortable and sort of wild looking.

Good value for money, not as sexy as some of the more exotic bikes. I'd love to have a Pinarello or Colnago, but just don't have the $$$.

6. OoAmericanGirl

OoAmericanGirl New Member

I don't see alot of talk of trek other than when others suggest the trek 1000 to others as an excellent beginner bike, I can't agree more.

7. RussB

RussB New Member

I noticed as well, I do have a 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1 spa and love it.

8. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

Honestly, you don't see much talk about anything anymore. :(

Except Dougadam and his insightful news stories. Exciting place, eh?

9. mtbnewbie

mtbnewbie New Member

I don't read this forum much anymore, so I can't comment on the volume of Trek talk. However I recently bought my first true road bike and it just so happens its a Trek. Trek 1500 - 2006 model, and I absolutely love it.

What a difference from a 20+ year old department store road bike.

10. gravelmuncher

gravelmuncher New Member

I've recently parted with my '03 Trek 1400, and I have no shame in saying that I was a little emotional helping it's new owner load it into the back of his van. I did a lot of awesome K's on it, it was a great bike, and yeah - it was a sad moment.

However, since I brought my new CAAD9 home i've not given it a thought.

:D

gm

11. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

In the words of my loyal DeRosa riding friend; "Trek Shmek"

12. rooman

rooman New Member

lots of other fish to fry... like complete streets, why cycling deaths get lower court sentences than other homicides, preventing separation facilities being implemented by Roads & Transport departments, and educating LEOs on bicyclists rights to ride on the roadway, working on the attitude of habitual bicycling lawbreakers who affect the rest of bicyclists and many more.... sure there are also a few other makers in the mix, other issues and some critical elite riders newsy things to kick around, and the odd bit of local gossip...as is said here in Oz a lot these days when the name of a recent Gitmo in-mate comes up in the media "david Who?", its the same for Trek, they arn't the only bike out there, they make some decent stuff, they do what they are good at...and maybe they do it so well they don't raise too much ire or praise and have the zen result that matters.....no we don't have to talk about them all the time?....

13. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Fashion. Of course style is something that's timeless and genuine and fashion is just something that a large enough group of people thinks is stylish. But Trek is slightly damned by not being fashionable.

They're brilliant bikes though every bit as good as anyone else's. I have Two Trek 2000's (a 98 and an 06), a 1000 (brilliant bike for the budget) and a 1500 frame built up entirely with Campagnolo transmission, wheels and components as well (all UK models obviously). I haven't bought a Madone yet, but I've never read a bad review of them.

There are some genuinely crap bikes coming out of Europe, but because some of them are 'in fashion' they are talked about all the time. When I drove a Ford everyone dismissed it as uninteresting. When I got a BMW instead, everyone was much impressed. My Ford never broke down in 4 years. (In fact only once in almost 20 years of driving Fords). The BMW did breakdown, after less than 2 years.

Brand impact / fashion / quality. You only get what you pay for if you count 35 % for them name alone sometimes ...

14. stlblues

stlblues New Member

Both my kids have Treks, good bikes, a number of them around here. But Giant is the largest bike company. I looked at Treks for myself, but I went Fuji, very happy with them.

15. GABAjunkie

GABAjunkie New Member

Thanks guys, interesting. Yeah, seems some of the lesser known euro brands do seem to get the attention.

16. stlblues

stlblues New Member

I see you're from MO. Where are you at? Our local shops have Trek, Fuji, Specialized, Giant, Gary Fisher, Lemond, Haro, Klein, Canonndale....I know I'm forgetting a couple.

17. GABAjunkie

GABAjunkie New Member

I live in St James. (Near Rolla) I use to work at St. Mary's in Jeff.
    I rarely get up to Jeff city nowadays. I go to school now in Chesterfield so I've frequented the shops up there a bit. Trek, Giant, Raleigh, and Fuji are some I've checked out up there. I'm unsure about buying a bike up there though. I'd rather support my local Trek dealer, he has great service. There is also a Specialized (maybe other brands too, not sure) dealer in Rolla also but I wouldn't buy anything from him.
    Good to see another Mo. resident on here! We went and rode Katy today from Mittrick to Mokane and back. That was my first time on the Katy trail. It was ok, but kinda boring IMO. Sure can put some miles on though.

18. stlblues

stlblues New Member

My father used to councel at Boys Town in St James and my mother ran Kyle Center in Rolla, know the area a bit. We ride the Katy pretty often. The better sections are around Roachport, Hermann, and towards St Charles. Both my kids play hockey so we know Chesterfield very well. Red Wheel and J&D are good in Jeff, Walts in Columbia, but I wouldn't buy from Xtreme cycle...way to pricy. We plan on doing the entire trail this summer, in sections, Springfield, and the River Road in Ill.

19. GABAjunkie

GABAjunkie New Member

Cool, part of one of my usual rides is down to Boys town and back. Its a hilly sucker.
    My ridin buddy and I talked about tryin to do all the Katy, in sections but its kind of unlikely that we'll get time. We're thinkin about riding Hermann and heading east next time but who knows. The wind sure sucked yesterday.:(
    There is a big ride in my area Sept 22 (I think) if your interested. I think it starts in Rolla and heads south. Pretty hilly. I'll most likely go unless somethin else comes up.

20. UncleFred

UncleFred New Member

I've got 2 Treks (It's all the LBS sells) 2100ZR and a Fuel 80

The 2100 is great, only probems have come from wear and tear, love riding it and the only time I've considered changing it was when I founds a killer deal on a Carbon Bianchi.

The Fuel 80 is another story, I'd say it was the last bike off the line on Friday afternoon after a long liquid lunch. Even the LBS can't believe the amount of problems I've had with it. However I'd still trade up to another Trek MTB just can't afford to at the moment.