Where's Trek?

GABAjunkie said:
Thanks guys, interesting. Yeah, seems some of the lesser known euro brands do seem to get the attention.
CyclingForums.com has a nice meritage of people from all over the world so you will not just hear about Treks on this site.

The biggest debates on this sight will be Campy vs. Shimano, Giro vs. Vuelta and the most popular... ToC vs. TdF. :D

lw

I've got a Lemond Etape, made by trek, It's a wonderful bike, people just don't talk about them:(

GABAjunkie said:
Cool, part of one of my usual rides is down to Boys town and back. Its a hilly sucker.
My ridin buddy and I talked about tryin to do all the Katy, in sections but its kind of unlikely that we'll get time. We're thinkin about riding Hermann and heading east next time but who knows. The wind sure sucked yesterday.:(
There is a big ride in my area Sept 22 (I think) if your interested. I think it starts in Rolla and heads south. Pretty hilly. I'll most likely go unless somethin else comes up.
My wife and I don't mind the hills, but my kids aren't thrilled with the big ones. The Tour deJeff City is comming up in July, 16.6miles sround Jeff that leaves HyVee at 2am and ends there when ever the last rider makes it in. The Holts Summit moonlight ride is comming up too, its only a 3 mile loop that we usually ride a few times, starts at 9 or 10pm at Summit Plaza, kind of a family thing, only a couple of us race it and pass the lead cop....pisses them off. We are also going to dry to do the St Louis moonlight ride through downtown, do they make a gun rack for road bikes?....its not that bad.

GABAjunkie said:
2 a.m.? Geez, thats kinda early . . . errrrr late lol!
Theory is most everyone, drunks, are off the road and the bikers have the streets to themselves, there have been a xouple of hundred participants on any given ride in the past. Reality, only the drunks are left on the road, not much other traffic. Not sure how long it will thake this year with the kids. In the past, we've tried to finish in under an hour, some pretty good hills to climb so you make up time by breaking every speed limit on the other side, but with the kids, it will be longer. I've seen people that take 3 1/2 hrs to complete....

3 1/2 hours . . . I can walk faster than that.:)

I was thinking back to "the old days" (not that I'm that old), still plenty of drunks on the street at that time. The temps at that time would be nice though in the heat of the summer.
Its cool that there are that many show up!

Here's a link to the ride in Sept. I mentioned.
http://www.touroftheozarks.org/index.html

GABAjunkie said:
3 1/2 hours . . . I can walk faster than that.:)

I was thinking back to "the old days" (not that I'm that old), still plenty of drunks on the street at that time. The temps at that time would be nice though in the heat of the summer.
Its cool that there are that many show up!

Here's a link to the ride in Sept. I mentioned.
http://www.touroftheozarks.org/index.html
One of the Tour deJeff City rides we did in 95 or 96, there were over 500 riders.....it was a zoo, fun, but a zoo. One reason it took some so long is they had kids on 20"bikes riding it. My son has a 20" bike, a Haro F3, just for tricks. When we really ride, he just took over my Giant Warp DS/1 and my daughter has a Trek MT220. My daughter can roll on that 24" bike, and she's only 8. As they both play hockey, they have leg muscles.

I checked out the web site, looks good, we'll try to make it, at this time, its a bit to far in the future to commit. Our hockey club has done a couple of joint functions with the Cosmopolitan Club of JC, they raise money for juvenille diabetes. My wife is a Cosmo member so I'll have her pass it on. My kids should have no problem with the 25 mile route, I'd like to have them in shape for the 50 by then. If you have any flyers, I know I can get Nick and Don to put them up in the local bike shops.

And I bet I have you beat on age......I remember the Schwinn Stingray.
And since my son took my Giant, I guess that means I get to look for a new MT bike.

Sounds good, its too far in the future for me to commit also but I'm pretty sure I can make it. My son rides with me also, some of the time. He rides my old Wal-mart bike:eek: :D . I'm tryin to get him to save up some money for a Gary Fisher but you know how that goes . . .

:) I'm only 29.:rolleyes:

GABAjunkie said:
Sounds good, its too far in the future for me to commit also but I'm pretty sure I can make it. My son rides with me also, some of the time. He rides my old Wal-mart bike:eek: :D . I'm tryin to get him to save up some money for a Gary Fisher but you know how that goes . . .

:) I'm only 29.:rolleyes:
Damn dude, got ya beat by 14 yrs....hell, me and my wife have been together 25, married 19. How old is your son? Mine is 10, daughter 8. Our kids ride with us most of the time....good family activity.

RussB said:
I noticed as well, I do have a 2006 Trek Pilot 2.1 spa and love it.

These are the only Trek bikes I like! The 2.1 and 5.2 spa are the best commuter bikes that fit panniers! But I think charging $1649 to $1819 for a 2.1 spa is too much (that's what dealers are asking me)! I'd rather pay end of year clearance $1479 for one. Oh well, I'll just live with my Giant OCR 1.

All the other Trek bikes - I think there's better value in other brands at the same prices. And I'd rather get a high end Cervelo then any high end Trek. And it also sucks that a $3000 Trek comes with Bontrager Race Lite wheels and not the Race X Lites!

Cycle Smithy in Chicago dropped Trek for Orbea.

stlblues said:
Damn dude, got ya beat by 14 yrs....hell, me and my wife have been together 25, married 19. How old is your son? Mine is 10, daughter 8. Our kids ride with us most of the time....good family activity.
I wish my wife would ride with me . . .

We have two sons, 11 and 4. My older son rides with me some of the time. He's usually off doin some other sport though lol. My younger son would LOVE to ride with me lol, so usually after I get home from riding we go for a little ride lol. I think he puts more miles on his lil bike (in the driveway) than I do!:)

I sure don't hear much about youth hockey around here. There used to be a team in Rolla a few years ago I believe but I don't think they have it anymore. My older son is pretty hot into baseball, plays soccer, and wants to play football so he keeps us busy enough.

GABAjunkie said:
I wish my wife would ride with me . . .

We have two sons, 11 and 4. My older son rides with me some of the time. He's usually off doin some other sport though lol. My younger son would LOVE to ride with me lol, so usually after I get home from riding we go for a little ride lol. I think he puts more miles on his lil bike (in the driveway) than I do!:)

I sure don't hear much about youth hockey around here. There used to be a team in Rolla a few years ago I believe but I don't think they have it anymore. My older son is pretty hot into baseball, plays soccer, and wants to play football so he keeps us busy enough.
My wife and I have been riding regularlly since '89. My kids have played most sports, but hockey is so fast and intense, the others bore them. My son had......I don't know how many goals in soccer, and was the leading goaltender. He was also an outstanding first baseman in baseball, but the games just didn't move fast enough, and he'd play football, but they don't allow tackling. Asside from checking (which he'll get to do next year) they play the same game from age 5 up as the NHL. None of this watered down ****. The closest rink to you would be Fenton, owned my the Afton Americans club. Its a fantastic sport and really builds teamwork, but expensive...both my kids are goalies and forwards, dual equipment, and goalie equipment is astrominically expensive. They also play golf, tennis, and of course cycle. My son wants a Suzuki DRz125, but with gas prices, it gives me an excuse not to get him one.

If your son is interested in riding with you, we have an Adams Trail-a-Bike, folding 3rd wheel for sale w/two quick release hitches, in excellent condition. Quick releases for seat and handlebars for fast adjustments. New was $189, asking $75. We used to haul our kids in a Burley kart when they were small, converted it to a cargo cart for supplies and camera gear, I'm a photographer.

Thanks for the offer, stlblues. Sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure how much I'd use it though so I guess I'll pass. Thanks though!

GABAjunkie said:
Thanks for the offer, stlblues. Sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure how much I'd use it though so I guess I'll pass. Thanks though!
No problem, as soon as I buy a new Mt bike, my son stole my Giant, I'll have a Trek MT220 24" bike for sale. Damn kids keep growing. We are going to ride the Roachport to Boonville section tomorrow morning, weather permiting.

I'm interested in the MT220.:)
Have a good ride tomorrow! Hope the weather turns out well.

GABAjunkie said:
I'm interested in the MT220.:)
Have a good ride tomorrow! Hope the weather turns out well.
We rode from Roachport to Boonville and back. Overcast most of the time which was welcome. Rained like hell while we were eating lunch at DQ in Boonville, we headed back after the rain pretty well stopped, hit a little more light rain, bike were a mess from the wet trail.......about as bad as the dust on a very dry day though. Kids clocked 29.1 miles.......which for a 8 & 10 yr old isn't too bad. Good day, even better if the Ducks win.

Is it your 10 yr old that took over your Giant? Is he really tall for his age, otherwise I wouldn't think it would fit him? Glad your trip turned out well. That is a long trip for the kids, sounds they did well. I think my 11 yr old would get bored on the Katy. I'll probably take him one of these days, when I get him a decent bike.

GABAjunkie said:
Is it your 10 yr old that took over your Giant? Is he really tall for his age, otherwise I wouldn't think it would fit him? Glad your trip turned out well. That is a long trip for the kids, sounds they did well. I think my 11 yr old would get bored on the Katy. I'll probably take him one of these days, when I get him a decent bike.
They are both big for thier age.....and don't **** them off, well I can, thats when the hockey comes out in both of them. One kid decided to hit my son in the arm, Grant blew it off the first time, warned him the second, the third, all bets were off. He grabbed the back of the kids collar, pulled it as far over his head as possible, hockey style, and proceeded with four blows to the head. No more problems out of him. My mt bike is just a hair large for him, but by the end of summer, should fit nicely, I'm only 5-8, but my wifes family,except for her are all over 6ft, her father was 6-4. My dsughter is about to take over my wifes GT Timberline as she is getting too tall for hers. Seat post is fully extended and she has full extension now, but in a couple of months. My son is thrilled he's only an inch shorter than his grandmother.