Which 110 BCD Double?

Michael

Guest
Hi all:

After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD double
crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in the group.

I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
pinned' to use with these systems?).

I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34. Has
anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better with
Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does anyone
know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?

The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
other cranksets.

Is there any other brand I should consider?

Michael-<< After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a
110BCD double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings.

<< I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
pinned' to use with these systems?).

Ramped and pined riongs will help shifting with pedal load but a well adjusted front der will allow
for good shifting w/o these, altho I think they have them..

I recommend looking at TA as well, great rings, the Zephyr cranik. All the cranks you mentioned will
have proper spacing for STI or ERGO...

With TA(from us) you can pick any ring combo you want...

On Mon, 19 May 2003 07:34:26 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

>I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
>rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
>pinned' to use with these systems?).

The ramps and pins help on the outer ring only.

>I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
>Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
>with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does
>anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?

The bb length for the Granfondo is 113, JIT = Shimano.

>The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
>other cranksets.
>
>Is there any other brand I should consider?

I have a set of Dimension in 110 double x 170. 48/34 x 107-110 bb length. Dimension arms are sold by
Qualtiy and any shop should be able to get them for you. I'll sell you a set for $95.

You can also find 110/74 triples inexpensively and use a shorter bb and no inner ring.

I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
48/34.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190520030034275800%rolleiflexesNOSPAM@hotmailfightspam. com...

> Hi all:
>
> After reading the various double/triple discussions here,
I'm thinking
> about trying a 110BCD double crank with either 50/36 or
48/34
> chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in the
group.

> I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34
rings, but I
> was curious to know if the rings on that crank will shift
well with
> either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
pinned' to use
> with these systems?).
>
> I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110
BCD double
> crank with 50/36 or 48/34. Has anyone here tried this
crank? Are the
> Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
with Ergo or
> STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and
shifters are
> compatible? Does anyone know which bottom bracket to use
with this
> crank?
>
> The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but
it's quite a
> bit more expensive than the other cranksets.
>
> Is there any other brand I should consider?

Suggest you check to see if the FDR will go low enough for the smaller rings, if you haven't already
- in most cases it will, but you never know - I've had two situations where I couldn't use 48T and
46T rings because of this......

On Mon, 19 May 2003 03:34:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

> The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
> other cranksets.
>
> Is there any other brand I should consider?

You know, you can use TA ramped & pinned rings with other brands of cranksets.

On 19 May 2003 10:16:24 -0700, [email protected] (Ray) wrote:

>> I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
>> 48/34.
>
>Most standard front derailures will work fine with 48/34 rings. I've done it with STI, Ergo, and
>various barcons and downtube shifters without problem.

I agree....to a point. If you want a current model Campy front derailleur to work as perfectly going
up from the 34 to 48 as it will going from a 39 to 53, you need to grind a bit off the front of the
outer plate. If you don't do that, the upshift will be a little slower and will struggle when you
try to shift under load.

With an Ergo lever, a pre microdrive DX/XT/XTR derailleur will work flawlessly. I think they were
made for a 46t outer ring.

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I agree....to a point. If you want a current model Campy
front
> derailleur to work as perfectly going up from the 34 to 48
as it will
> going from a 39 to 53, you need to grind a bit off the
front of the
> outer plate. If you don't do that, the upshift will be a
little
> slower and will struggle when you try to shift under load.
>
> With an Ergo lever, a pre microdrive DX/XT/XTR derailleur
will work
> flawlessly. I think they were made for a 46t outer ring.

Yup.

I didn't realize it would work with Ergo, but I've used a Deore DX with chainrings from 22T to 50T
with no problems whatsoever, and no modifications. I even ran 24-34-50 setup for awhile. If only my
current XT POS would work as well...

A few years ago Nashbar was selling off these old DX derailers for $4.99. Shoulda bought a couple...

Matt O.

Find an older Sugino or Sakae from a 1980s bike. Sugino VP for example, very nice crank. You can
probably buy the whole bike it's on for what a new crank like that would go for today.

I'm in the same boat and have ordered the extralight TA Zephyr. Problem is all the material
needed to convert to triple is gone. Granfondo not imported as of yet. Easy to get from a French
web bicycle outfit. ("xxbike"?) Most people say that ramped and pinned is the way to go for
indexed systems.

GJ

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:190520030034275800%[email protected]...

> Hi all:
>
> After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD
> double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in
> the group.
>
> I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
> rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
> pinned' to use with these systems?).
>
> I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
> Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
> with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does
> anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?
>
> The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
> other cranksets.
>
> Is there any other brand I should consider?

Very easy to modify a front Mavic derailure by drilling and tapping thread. I run one on a race bike
set up originally for big gears. Now I use 48, and could run 46 probably. There's a lot of material
on top of the existing braze on mounting hole on that front derailure. Gary Jacobson

"Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
> > 48/34.
>
> Most standard front derailures will work fine with 48/34 rings. I've done it with STI, Ergo, and
> various barcons and downtube shifters without problem. The potential problem arises if your frame
> uses a braze-on front derailure rather than a clamp on. Many (most?, nearly all?) front braze-ons
> are set too high to get the derailure low enough to shift to the big ring without dropping the
> chain. I tried it for a while on one bike, tried various different models of derailure, and never
> got it working consistently well - it could be worked around, but you really had to be consious of
> what cog you were in when shifting and take the shift pretty easy. With a clamp-on front der, you
> can move the whole assembly down low enough for perfect shifting.
>
> -Ray

I have a 170 mm Sugino V/P low profile crank for sale.

On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:21:33 GMT, "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Find an older Sugino or Sakae from a 1980s bike. Sugino VP for example,

news:<[email protected]>...

> I didn't realize it would work with Ergo, but I've used a Deore DX with chainrings from 22T to 50T
> with no problems whatsoever, and no modifications.

This is one area where Ergopower scores major brownie points over STI
- the finer indexing on the L/H lever means that virtually any brand of front mech works well. And,
of course, the same lever can be used with both doubles and triples.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Michael,

Michael wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD
> double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in
> the group.
>
> I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
> rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
> pinned' to use with these systems?).

Ritchey has bet the farm on following Shimano so most of their stuff is designed to work well
with Shimano. That said, my commuter/cyclecross bike I built has a Ritchey 110mm crankset with
36x46 rings and it works fine with my Campy Racing Triple shifting, as well as any front
arrangement I use.

> I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
> Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
> with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible?

I don't believe it matters. I have two bikes with Stronglight Speedlight crank sets and they shift
fine using either Shimano or Campy front derailleurs. While I have not used the GranFondo, I suspect
similar performance.

Does anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this
> crank?

A lot depends on the bike you are installing it on. It could require from 111mm to 116mm or even
more for an older frame/triple. A simple way to get close is to take what the frame manufacturer
states for a double- if it is standard 102Campy, then for Campy it will be 111mm. I don't recall
exactly the new splined Shimano sizes which are comparable.

> The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
> other cranksets.
>
> Is there any other brand I should consider?

You might look at FSA. I have not used them but they seem to have a great deal of success as a
company. Their parts are generally well regarded and I really like the ISIS styled BB better
than Octalink.

Good Luck!

Terry