Which 110 BCD Double?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael, May 19, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi all:

    After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD double
    crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in the group.

    I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
    rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    pinned' to use with these systems?).

    I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34. Has
    anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better with
    Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does anyone
    know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?

    The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
    other cranksets.

    Is there any other brand I should consider?

    Tags:

  2. Michael-<< After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a
    110BCD double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings.

    << I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
    rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    pinned' to use with these systems?).

    Ramped and pined riongs will help shifting with pedal load but a well adjusted front der will allow
    for good shifting w/o these, altho I think they have them..

    I recommend looking at TA as well, great rings, the Zephyr cranik. All the cranks you mentioned will
    have proper spacing for STI or ERGO...

    With TA(from us) you can pick any ring combo you want...

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 07:34:26 GMT, Michael <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
    >rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    >pinned' to use with these systems?).

    The ramps and pins help on the outer ring only.

    >I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
    >Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
    >with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does
    >anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?

    The bb length for the Granfondo is 113, JIT = Shimano.

    >The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
    >other cranksets.
    >
    >Is there any other brand I should consider?

    I have a set of Dimension in 110 double x 170. 48/34 x 107-110 bb length. Dimension arms are sold by
    Qualtiy and any shop should be able to get them for you. I'll sell you a set for $95.

    You can also find 110/74 triples inexpensively and use a shorter bb and no inner ring.

    I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
    48/34.

  4. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:190520030034275800%[email protected]. com...

    > Hi all:
    >
    > After reading the various double/triple discussions here,
    I'm thinking
    > about trying a 110BCD double crank with either 50/36 or
    48/34
    > chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in the
    group.

    > I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34
    rings, but I
    > was curious to know if the rings on that crank will shift
    well with
    > either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    pinned' to use
    > with these systems?).
    >
    > I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110
    BCD double
    > crank with 50/36 or 48/34. Has anyone here tried this
    crank? Are the
    > Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
    with Ergo or
    > STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and
    shifters are
    > compatible? Does anyone know which bottom bracket to use
    with this
    > crank?
    >
    > The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but
    it's quite a
    > bit more expensive than the other cranksets.
    >
    > Is there any other brand I should consider?

    Suggest you check to see if the FDR will go low enough for the smaller rings, if you haven't already
    - in most cases it will, but you never know - I've had two situations where I couldn't use 48T and
    46T rings because of this......

  5. On Mon, 19 May 2003 03:34:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

    > The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
    > other cranksets.
    >
    > Is there any other brand I should consider?

    You know, you can use TA ramped & pinned rings with other brands of cranksets.

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 19 May 2003 10:16:24 -0700, [email protected] (Ray) wrote:

    >> I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
    >> 48/34.
    >
    >Most standard front derailures will work fine with 48/34 rings. I've done it with STI, Ergo, and
    >various barcons and downtube shifters without problem.

    I agree....to a point. If you want a current model Campy front derailleur to work as perfectly going
    up from the 34 to 48 as it will going from a 39 to 53, you need to grind a bit off the front of the
    outer plate. If you don't do that, the upshift will be a little slower and will struggle when you
    try to shift under load.

    With an Ergo lever, a pre microdrive DX/XT/XTR derailleur will work flawlessly. I think they were
    made for a 46t outer ring.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I agree....to a point. If you want a current model Campy
    front
    > derailleur to work as perfectly going up from the 34 to 48
    as it will
    > going from a 39 to 53, you need to grind a bit off the
    front of the
    > outer plate. If you don't do that, the upshift will be a
    little
    > slower and will struggle when you try to shift under load.
    >
    > With an Ergo lever, a pre microdrive DX/XT/XTR derailleur
    will work
    > flawlessly. I think they were made for a 46t outer ring.

    Yup.

    I didn't realize it would work with Ergo, but I've used a Deore DX with chainrings from 22T to 50T
    with no problems whatsoever, and no modifications. I even ran 24-34-50 setup for awhile. If only my
    current XT POS would work as well...

    A few years ago Nashbar was selling off these old DX derailers for $4.99. Shoulda bought a couple...

    Matt O.

  8. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    Find an older Sugino or Sakae from a 1980s bike. Sugino VP for example, very nice crank. You can
    probably buy the whole bike it's on for what a new crank like that would go for today.

  9. I'm in the same boat and have ordered the extralight TA Zephyr. Problem is all the material
    needed to convert to triple is gone. Granfondo not imported as of yet. Easy to get from a French
    web bicycle outfit. ("xxbike"?) Most people say that ramped and pinned is the way to go for
    indexed systems.

    GJ

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:190520030034275800%[email protected]...

    > Hi all:
    >
    > After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD
    > double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in
    > the group.
    >
    > I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
    > rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    > pinned' to use with these systems?).
    >
    > I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
    > Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
    > with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible? Does
    > anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this crank?
    >
    > The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
    > other cranksets.
    >
    > Is there any other brand I should consider?

  10. Very easy to modify a front Mavic derailure by drilling and tapping thread. I run one on a race bike
    set up originally for big gears. Now I use 48, and could run 46 probably. There's a lot of material
    on top of the existing braze on mounting hole on that front derailure. Gary Jacobson

    "Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I am led to believe that Shimano 105 derailleurs will work ok with
    > > 48/34.
    >
    > Most standard front derailures will work fine with 48/34 rings. I've done it with STI, Ergo, and
    > various barcons and downtube shifters without problem. The potential problem arises if your frame
    > uses a braze-on front derailure rather than a clamp on. Many (most?, nearly all?) front braze-ons
    > are set too high to get the derailure low enough to shift to the big ring without dropping the
    > chain. I tried it for a while on one bike, tried various different models of derailure, and never
    > got it working consistently well - it could be worked around, but you really had to be consious of
    > what cog you were in when shifting and take the shift pretty easy. With a clamp-on front der, you
    > can move the whole assembly down low enough for perfect shifting.
    >
    > -Ray

  11. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I have a 170 mm Sugino V/P low profile crank for sale.

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:21:33 GMT, "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Find an older Sugino or Sakae from a 1980s bike. Sugino VP for example,

  12. "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I didn't realize it would work with Ergo, but I've used a Deore DX with chainrings from 22T to 50T
    > with no problems whatsoever, and no modifications.

    This is one area where Ergopower scores major brownie points over STI
    - the finer indexing on the L/H lever means that virtually any brand of front mech works well. And,
    of course, the same lever can be used with both doubles and triples.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  13. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    Michael,

    Michael wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > After reading the various double/triple discussions here, I'm thinking about trying a 110BCD
    > double crank with either 50/36 or 48/34 chainrings. I had a few questions for the experts in
    > the group.
    >
    > I know that Rivendell sells the Ritchey double with 46/34 rings, but I was curious to know if the
    > rings on that crank will shift well with either Ergo or STI (do the rings need to be 'ramped and
    > pinned' to use with these systems?).

    Ritchey has bet the farm on following Shimano so most of their stuff is designed to work well
    with Shimano. That said, my commuter/cyclecross bike I built has a Ritchey 110mm crankset with
    36x46 rings and it works fine with my Campy Racing Triple shifting, as well as any front
    arrangement I use.

    > I've also noticed that Stronglight makes a 'Granfondo' 110 BCD double crank with 50/36 or 48/34.
    > Has anyone here tried this crank? Are the Stronglight cranks designed with spacing to shift better
    > with Ergo or STI, or does it matter as long as the derailleur and shifters are compatible?

    I don't believe it matters. I have two bikes with Stronglight Speedlight crank sets and they shift
    fine using either Shimano or Campy front derailleurs. While I have not used the GranFondo, I suspect
    similar performance.

    Does anyone know which bottom bracket to use with this
    > crank?

    A lot depends on the bike you are installing it on. It could require from 111mm to 116mm or even
    more for an older frame/triple. A simple way to get close is to take what the frame manufacturer
    states for a double- if it is standard 102Campy, then for Campy it will be 111mm. I don't recall
    exactly the new splined Shimano sizes which are comparable.

    > The TA Zephyr double also seems like a great choice, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the
    > other cranksets.
    >
    > Is there any other brand I should consider?

    You might look at FSA. I have not used them but they seem to have a great deal of success as a
    company. Their parts are generally well regarded and I really like the ISIS styled BB better
    than Octalink.

    Good Luck!

    Terry