Which 29er to buy?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by scottb, May 4, 2006.

  1. scottb

    scottb Guest

    I'm looking to buy a 29 inch unicycle. Here are three that are my top
    choices (one Nimbus and two Yuni's):
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=791
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=646
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=601

    Is there any reason to buy one over the others? Will they all weigh
    about the same? The Yuni's don't mention what pedals are included.
    Also, why is there a difference in the price between the two Yuni's?

    The KH29XC is not on my list because a) it is a lot more expensive, b)
    it seems like overkill since I only plan to use it on-road, and c) it
    looks like UDC no longer has it in stock.

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    scottb
    scottb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9040

  2. JJuggle

    JJuggle Guest

    Go with the KH saddle whatever you choose. I got my 29er with a miyata
    saddle and then switched to the KH. If you're not going to use an air
    saddle or other softer modification, the KH saddle will make your rides
    more comfortable.

    --
    JJuggle

    Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

    '8th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
    Saturday, June 3, 2006
    JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

  3. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    One of the Yunis is painted black, which is presumably why it costs
    more.

    If you got the cheaper Yuni, you'd want to upgrade the pedals assuming
    it comes with the plastic pedals in both the yuni pictures.

    The Nimbus doesn't have a handle on the seat, you'd probably want to
    upgrade to a KH seat with a handle. You should be able to swap the seat
    if you phone up unicycle.com rather than having to pay the full amount
    for the seat (I'd get the KH fusion seat personally, as then when it
    breaks you can fix it easily).

    The Nimbus has Qu-ax cranks and assuming it's the same one sold in the
    UK, has a wider rim, which makes a real difference on the fat 29er
    tyres. It isn't made of quite so posh parts and the wheel isn't
    hand-built but I still think you'd get a better ride from the wider
    rim.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  4. I've got a Nimbus 29er and I like it very much. I'm still running the
    125mm cranks, but I think it's ridable with shorter. Recently upgraded
    it with a UDC Gel saddle, which is quite nice and also has a handle.

    Everything works fine and it rides very nicely now I've got used to the
    huge mass of a 29er wheel!

    I don't know about the Yunis, but certainly the Nimbus is a nice bit of
    kit IMHO.

    --
    mark williamson

    Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
    pedals!
    Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
    Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
    mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

  5. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    I've got a Nimbus too. (Or rather, I have two nimbuses). They're great.
    They both have handles on the seats. The newest one came with a handle
    on the seat (apparantly this was the form for this latest batch of
    Nimbuses, or should that be Nimbi?). I did swap the peddles cos I
    wanted blue ones but the black ones that come with it are fine.

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  6. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

  7. abridged

    abridged Guest

    Hey Scott,

    Looks like we're neighbors. I faced the exact same decision very
    recently - one of the two Yuni's or the Nimbus. I finally chose the
    Nimbus for the following reasons:

    - better pedals
    - rounded frame shoulders are easier on the knees
    - the Nimbus has quite a following and some of them even use it for
    mild off-road
    - "Cathwood" (already posted a response to your topic) regularly writes
    about her Nimbi in this forum. Her writings convinced me.

    Of the two Yuni's, I liked the black one but I was disappointed that it
    was just a painted version of the chrome frame at a lot more expense.
    Also saw lots of posts about how just about any width of tire will fit
    the Nimbus.

    Glad I got the Nimbus, I'm real happy with it. I was worried about the
    rim being single-walled (Yuni's advertise double-walled), but in real
    life it seems more than strong. I'm wondering if maybe it really is
    double walled, afterall.

    Good luck in your decision; all three look decent. The good thing is,
    I don't think you can make a bad choice.

    --
    abridged
    abridged's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11292

  8. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

    I have a 29" Yuni. It came with cheap, crappy plastic pedals that have
    been replaced with nice pinned bmx pedals. I bought it for the
    double-walled rim. I'd rather pay the money up front for something
    that I'll probably never break than to have to fix it later.

    --
    phlegm
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

  9. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    I have several unis (20, 20, 20, 24, 26, 28, 36) of which 2 are early
    Nimbuses. All have been modified, especially tyres and pedals.

    Having recently purchased a KH MUni, I have been surprised by how much
    difference to the riding experience the quality makes.

    So the message from one who's tried is: get the best one you can
    afford.

    Remember that every component is potentially upgradeable.

    None of the standard Yunis/Nimbuses will let you down, though.

    Make your own decision about seats. I have done long rides on and off
    road on a standard Miyata and found it more comfortable than a KH or a
    UDC gel seat. Others will have diametrically opposed opinions. It's
    all to do with the size and shape of your backside - and no, we don't
    want photos to help us to advise you.:eek:

    --
    Mikefule

    Let every man so *p*itch his song
    To help his neighbour sing along

  10. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    fexnix wrote:
    > I cant help myself. I just have to make this lame joke everitime someone
    > mentions 29ers.
    >
    > Buy this 29er:
    >
    > [image: http://www.ovingtonboats.com/images/29er/29newsheader.jpg]

    Yeah, but everytime you ride you end up hiking out. :(

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  11. One on one

    One on one Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > Yeah, but everytime you ride you end up hiking out. :(

    :) Good one! :)

    --
    One on one

    Amazing. YOU'RE a waffler too!! And we BOTH unicycle! We're just the
    same! That's why I like you, Greg!
    -BillyTheMountain

    You ARE me, you silly goose.
    -Greg Harper
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

  12. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Mikefule wrote:

    > Having recently purchased a KH MUni, I have been surprised by how much
    > difference to the riding experience the quality makes.
    >
    > So the message from one who's tried is: get the best one you can
    > afford.

    BUT it's not always that easy. The KH give leg measurements for which
    it is suitable. I am too short to ride a KH unicycle :( . Therefore
    boycot them, that's what I say. Down with shortist unicycle
    manufacturers!

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  13. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    phlegm wrote:
    > I have a 29" Yuni. It came with cheap, crappy plastic pedals that have
    > been replaced with nice pinned bmx pedals. I bought it for the
    > double-walled rim. I'd rather pay the money up front for something
    > that I'll probably never break than to have to fix it later.

    The only problem with that is that it's not a KH 29er rim, or at least
    not according to the site. As far as I know, there are only two really
    wide 29er rims out there, the KH one, and the single wall one that
    comes on the Nimbus. The wider rim makes a real difference to the ride
    compared to a narrower rim, particularly on 29" muni tyres and the Big
    Apple. Being single wall just changes the theoretical strength of the
    wheel. Given how much my pashley rim on my muni (cheap single wall)
    went through before I upgraded that, I'd go wider, but single wall over
    a double wall narrow rim. Obviously the KH rim is preferable to both if
    you've got the money.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  14. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

  15. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    abridged wrote:

    > - "Cathwood" (already posted a response to your topic) regularly writes
    > about her Nimbi in this forum. Her writings convinced me.

    Wow! I'm glad I could help someone. Cool

    Cathy

    --
    cathwood

    Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  16. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

  17. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

    Check the Trading Post. I've got a really nice 29r that I'm selling. It
    comes with 3 tires, a really nice custom frame that will hold a 24x3,
    and a KH seat that's beefed up with a FMF alloy post and SH rail
    adapter. I'm asking $300 and the 29r is mint.

    --
    AccordNSX

    If I had a signature, would you forge it?
    AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

  18. cathwood

    cathwood Guest