Which areo bars?

sd5500

Jul 17, 2003
I'm looking for a nice clip on areo bar for the occ. TT.

I like the Deda Carbon clip on bar.

Can anyone recommend a set?

Originally posted by sd5500

have you checked out vision tech bars?bike nashbar is selling them for $130 i would look into vision tech or profile.i was googling up aero bars and found a good article about 3 aero bars but i cant find it :(

sd5500 - if you're using the aerobars only for time trialing, I suggest not using the airstrykes. I've found the spring action on the armrests to be rather annoying anytime I lift my arm for some reason (which I shouldn't be doing anyway). Whichever bar you do choose, find something with comfortable pads and good width and for/aft adjustment capabilities.

When you find it - let me know what it is!

syntace bars are great.

c2 ultralights are better, then streamliners. not length adjustable, but light and stiff, and also don't have a bunch of little nuts/screws etc. to come loose.

coolworx - depends on what you're using them for. If you plan to do time trialing - yes, you are crazy. If you're just looking for additional positions for your hands on leisure rides - go for it. Aero bars are real popular around here with the leisure set - they're not at all interested in time trialing or even racing, but they like the aero bars because they offer a resting place for tired hands - and who can deny they look cool. The elites will snicker (you know... the 10 things they say make you a cycling dork), but who gives a $#!t what they think.

If you're just looking for additional positions for your hands on leisure rides

That - and a nice way to squeeze the most out of the descents. Have alot of 'rollercoaster' hills here in Western Massachusetts, and would like to salvage some of the climbing energy expended on the first hill for the next one - repeated as needed ;-)

I pulled the trigger on the Deda Clip Black Aero Bar. Its the carbon job. I'll let ya know how it is when I get it.

i have drop down bars(like the ones on road bikes) if i get syntace c2 clip on aero bars,will the arm rests interfere with my handle bars?meaning will it block some of my hand positions?what about other aero bars?i know profile has strykes that have spring loaded arm rests.

Profile Air Strykes are among the few that do not eliminate the top bar hand position - but only dorks ride with the hands near the stem! The spring load is clumsy for actually using them in timetrialing (I know - I have them). Get some good fixed position aerobars and learn to ride with your hands on the hoods if you need a break from the drops.

May I suggest Syntace C2 or streamliner.

I bought a set of profile carbon stryke thinking that all the adjustment they had would be good. Just ended up being too many little pieces to lose and fiddle with, and I couldn't get comfortable with them anyway.

So I changed them for the Syntace streamliners. Very simple, very few pieces, and perfect fit !! And they also one of the lightest as well.

They offer simple and useful width adjustment. They are available in three different lengths. Use the guide on the side of the box, and you will choose the correct size first time.

I also got the 'riser kit' that lifts them 2 cm higher to allow me to get my hands under the pads to hold the bar near the stem. (I'm not a cycling dork, but I'm trying !)

Regards,
Harrow.

with syntace, you can use the arm pads for short breaks from the drops or hoods.

I have Profile AirStryke aero bars on my bike and love them. I don't do time trials......only centuries. I use the top bar hand position along with the others. The next ride you go on check out how many riders use the top bar position and then you'll see who the real dork is.

Originally posted by FrankH.3
I have Profile AirStryke aero bars on my bike and love them. I don't do time trials......only centuries. I use the top bar hand position along with the others. The next ride you go on check out how many riders use the top bar position and then you'll see who the real dork is.

I have to agree that aero bars for additional hand positions are great. I have been using them for over 10 years now on a variety of bikes, even on a mountain bike.

I now prefer the Spinaci type little bars as they give a good balance between hand positions, aerodynamics and contral as your hands are nearer the brakes.

Scott used to make a great one piece bar called the AT2 I think. I have a set on one of my bikes and would like to fit a set to another. Anyone know where I can get a set?

I've been using the Profile AirStryke aero bars for two years and really enjoy them. I don't do time trials....just centuries. I like them cause the spring loaded arm cups open up the top bar hand position. Check on your next ride and see how many "dorks' use the top bar hand position........you'll be surprised!!!

I've been using the Profile AirStryke aero bars for two years and really enjoy them. The spring loaded cups open up the top bar position. I don't do time trials....just centuries. On your next ride, check how many "dorks" use this position.....you'll be surprised.

I've been using the Profile AirStryke aero bars for two years and think they are great. The best part about them sre the spring loaded arm cups which open up the top bar position for additional hand positions. I don't do time trials....just centuries. On your next ride, check how many "dorks" use the top bar position.....you'll be surprised!!!