which bb?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Terry, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    My bottom bracket on the old 531 audax bike needs replacing. 68mm frame width and 107mm axle,
    tapered square of course. I was going for a shimano 173 but then noticed that the campag bb's on
    wiggle are really cheap by comparison. I don't know if they are cartridge type, which I would
    prefer. What is the catch?(Apart from the fact that I havn't got a campag bb tool-do I need one to
    fit them?.) TerryJ

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Terry scribed with passion and wit:

    > My bottom bracket on the old 531 audax bike needs replacing. 68mm frame width and 107mm axle,
    > tapered square of course. I was going for a shimano 173 but then noticed that the campag bb's on
    > wiggle are really cheap by comparison. I don't know if they are cartridge type, which I would
    > prefer. What is the catch?(Apart from the fact that I havn't got a campag bb tool-do I need one to
    > fit them?.) TerryJ
    I swear by Campag, the tool is different but you may be able to borrow one from a local workshop,
    I've loaned mine out from tile to time.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > My bottom bracket on the old 531 audax bike needs replacing. 68mm frame width and 107mm axle,
    > tapered square of course. I was going for a shimano 173 but then noticed that the campag bb's on
    > wiggle are really cheap by comparison.

    ...Even cheaper elsewhere, believe it or not! All Wiggle's Campag prices are over the top.

    > I don't know if they are cartridge type, which I would prefer. What is the catch?(Apart from the
    > fact that I havn't got a campag bb tool-do I need one to fit them?.)

    Unfortunately Campag's taper specification is slightly different from Shimano's and so not safely
    compatible with cranks that fit Shimano BBs; also there won't be a length close enough to 107mm.
    Campag's are 102, 111 and 115.5. The better quality Tacx tools are best for Campag BBs (and
    Shimano's and others for that matter) as others tend to slip. These cost more than the BB! Parker
    International and Xpedia sell them (as well as cheaper alternatives).

    I don't know the "173" but Shimano UN72 and UN73 seems to be well respected and I would expect to be
    of about equal quality to Campag Veloce or Centaur. That's the one I'm suggesting as a replacement
    for my brother's MTB. Chain Reaction's price is only £16.99, with free post as well:
    www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Bottom+Brackets&Model ID=49

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Terry wrote:
    >> I don't know if they are cartridge type, which I would prefer.

    Campag's are all cartridge type, except for normal Chorus and Record models.

    ~PB

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Pete Biggs <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

    : I don't know the "173" but Shimano UN72 and UN73 seems to be well respected and I would expect to
    : be of about equal quality to Campag Veloce or Centaur.

    Personally I'd say

    UN52 ~ Veloce.

    Though with different virtues. The UN52 is lighter, Veloce will last longer.

    The UN72 is a very nice BB and is Centaur, and yup, I'd say they were pretty similar in quality.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:55:18 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:

    cut
    > Chain Reaction's price is only £16.99, with free post as well:
    > www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Bottom+Brackets&Model ID=49

    Thank you for posting that Pete, I need a new BB for a fixed gear project I will be looking at after
    Christmas, a UN72/73 for £17 sounds perfect. I had a quick look at the headsets available from them
    and I quite like the look of the FSA UF model for£20.00 has anybody had problems with these? A quick
    google did not reval anything nasty. Cheers Richard Please remove THIS if replying

    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race".
    H. G. Wells

  7. Pete Biggs <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote ...
    >The better quality Tacx tools are best for Campag BBs (and Shimano's and others for that matter) as
    >others tend to slip. These cost more than the BB! Parker International and Xpedia sell them (as
    >well as cheaper alternatives).

    Unfortunately they are only suitable for shorter BBs, as I found last week. Fine for taking out a
    107mm UN72 (XT), but when I tried to fit a 122mm UN53 (Zephyr), the splines got nowhere near the
    fixed cup before the axle bolt hit.

    Andrew

  8. Terry

    Terry Guest

    k.
    > Fine for taking out a 107mm UN72 (XT), but when I tried to fit a 122mm UN53 (Zephyr), the splines
    > got nowhere near the fixed cup before the axle bolt hit.

    I think I may be doing it wrongly then.Do you replace the axle bolt to keep the bb tool in place? I
    do not , and have difficulty with it slipping.Always have! It sounds as though some kind of big
    washer is required for the longer axle.

    Come to think of it, my current chainset has the axle bolt built in, so I would have to raid the
    bits box. TerryJ

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Terry wrote:

    >> Fine for taking out a 107mm UN72 (XT), but when I tried to fit a 122mm UN53 (Zephyr), the splines
    >> got nowhere near the fixed cup before the axle bolt hit.
    >
    > I think I may be doing it wrongly then.Do you replace the axle bolt to keep the bb tool in place?

    I think the above refers to the type of Tacx tool with the built-in spring-loaded bolt to keep the
    tool in place. This is used without the BB spindle (axle) bolts or anything else. See www.tacx.nl

    I wasn't aware the tool couldn't handle long BB spindles. That's a shame as it's such a good
    design generally (great for Campag Mirage/Veloce/Centaur so I expected the Shimano version would
    be good too).

    > I do not , and have difficulty with it slipping.Always have! It sounds as though some kind of big
    > washer is required for the longer axle.

    Try using a rear wheel quick release skewer if BB spindle is hollow, or longer bolt.

    ~PB

  10. Pete Biggs <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote ...
    > Andrew wrote:
    > >> Fine for taking out a 107mm UN72 (XT), but when I tried to fit a 122mm UN53 (Zephyr), the
    > >> splines got nowhere near the fixed cup before the axle bolt hit.
    >
    > I think the above refers to the type of Tacx tool with the built-in spring-loaded bolt to keep the
    > tool in place. This is used without the BB spindle (axle) bolts or anything else. See www.tacx.nl
    >
    > I wasn't aware the tool couldn't handle long BB spindles. That's a shame as it's such a good
    > design generally (great for Campag Mirage/Veloce/Centaur so I expected the Shimano version would
    > be good too).

    That's the one. I think it's due to the length of the BB spindle - the various different versions
    (Campag, Shimano square, Shimano splined etc) all look much the same in terms of the length of the
    spring-loaded section, which is what's going to matter. I was a bit disappointed, having paid all
    the extra dosh for it. To be fair, all the Shimano chainsets use short axles, so if you stick to the
    standard it would be OK.

    In the end, I used a standard remover, a big washer, a couple of headset spacers, and the normal
    axle bolt. The downside is that you have to keep adjusting the axle bolt rather than rely on the
    spring to do it for you.

    Andrew