Which bicycle company SUCKS the most?

where i live the lbs features norco bikes. at present we own a tandem and a unicycle and two mtb`s all norco they have great customer service and prices.

aa9t8 said:
where i live the lbs features norco bikes. at present we own a tandem and a unicycle and two mtb`s all norco they have great customer service and prices.

Meh.... probably my local Norco dealer is lousy.

aa9t8 said:
i bought a haro ics 4.0 very lite cross country bike. 27 pounds has been a very good ride. i believe that haro is better known for their bmx bikes. my wife has a flat bar road bike that they make with the veloz name? can not remember why they hadda go under a different name. it would be disapointing to see them go the way of schwin etc.
You shouldn't see them go the way of Schwinn because they aren't owned by Pacific Cycles. The poster who said that was mistaken. Haro is owned by Haro, and on top of that, they own Masi Road Bikes. They also make a line of bikes under the name Del Sol. These are mostly Comfort bikes, but they make a few entry level road bikes called the Veloz series. On the heavy side, but priced to move.

thanks for the info
i really like my haro and my wife likes her veloz
actually i like all our bikes. except i can not ride my unicycle, someday i will get motivated to try again.

I have twin boys, age 7, and I bought them both a Haro bmx bike for their birthdays. They are short for their age and Haro makes a very nice low profile model, the Z20, which is not too big for them. I own two road bikes and a mountain bike so I wanted my kids to have a decent bike. I paid $140 each for the Haro's and consider it money well spent - seeing the kids enjoy the hell out of them makes me realize I made a good choice. They have ridden some of their friends department store specials and while a kid would be happy with any bike, they can definitely tell that their bikes are lighter and better made.

Haro was started by ex-pro bmx rider Bob Haro and Jim Ford. They have been in business for 25 years or so.

I have never had a bad experience with a particular bike company. Now, with regards to various LBS', that is another story.

I have twin boys, age 7, and I bought them both a Haro bmx bike for their birthdays. They are short for their age and Haro makes a very nice low profile model, the Z20, which is not too big for them. I own two road bikes and a mountain bike so I wanted my kids to have a decent bike. I paid $140 each for the Haro's and consider it money well spent - seeing the kids enjoy the hell out of them makes me realize I made a good choice. They have ridden some of their friends department store specials and while a kid would be happy with any bike, they can definitely tell that their bikes are lighter and better made.

Haro was started by ex-pro bmx rider Bob Haro and Jim Ford. They have been in business for 25 years or so.

I have never had a bad experience with a particular bike company. Now, with regards to various LBS', that is another story.

ahimsa said:
You shouldn't see them go the way of Schwinn because they aren't owned by Pacific Cycles. The poster who said that was mistaken. Haro is owned by Haro, and on top of that, they own Masi Road Bikes. They also make a line of bikes under the name Del Sol. These are mostly Comfort bikes, but they make a few entry level road bikes called the Veloz series. On the heavy side, but priced to move.
Haro was in fact bought out by West Coast Cycles at one time. That's when they started to have problems. Since then they have been purchased by a member of management and are now back to being a high quality independant bicycle company. Their future did look pretty grim for a while though.

Too bad Schwinn and GT can't do the same thing.

TrekDedicated said:
So much resentment for Trek.

They have never let me down... Thus, they made me a dedicated customer and cyclist of their bikes.

I'm curious to hear everyone's 'hate' stories about Trek....

Alright here is one. Not that I hate Trek, per se. My ex and I both had Trek sport bikes. We were casual riders so we had racks on ours installed by the LBS. The braze-on for the rack on the ex's frame popped off. This was an aluminum frame. Sent back to Trek they repaired it, and repainted the bike. My wife did not like the new color but the worst part was the replaced braze-on for the rack popped off again. I changed to a clamp in disgust. My bike, same model, different size did not have a problem.

I beg to differ! I own a Giant compact aluminum frame, and I have never had a bike that can accellerate as quickly when you want to or climb as well as this bike can. If fact, I went out and got a carbon frameset to build up over the winter.

RubberSideDown said:
Wow. I have had great experience with Cannondale (worse experience with the local shop). Personally, I don't like Giant. Not to say they suck, but like a previous post mentioned, it was more my personal preference and a dislike of the way the frames were contructed. Other than that, I think all those companies have quality products and sometimes you may come across those lemons or a bad customer service day.

Cheers

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

TTyed said:
I beg to differ! I own a Giant compact aluminum frame, and I have never had a bike that can accellerate as quickly when you want to or climb as well as this bike can. If fact, I went out and got a carbon frameset to build up over the winter.
Love my Giant more then life itself, and the compact frame is the best fitting bike I have ever ridden...I wish I hadn't crashed her last weekend (still waiting on parts:mad: ) so I could ride her right now

In reading the posts and then reflecting on the title of the thread, it seems that what is great to one person may not be great to another, and what sucks to one person may not suck to another. I don't know about everyone else, but I have had good and bad experiences when it comes to products from different bicycle companies. Sometimes it was not the company's fault, but was rather a matter of personal preference. I don't think one bad experience would necessarily qualify a company as "sucks". Most companies that are legitimate are going to stand behind their products. Now, how a company stands behind their product will differ from company to company, and I would think the size of the company might also be a factor. This thread just seems to incite opinions along the lines of other threads where different things are compared (i.e. carbon fiber vs titanium, Trek vs Cannondale, etc). More subjectiveness than objectiveness. Just my opinion! :D :D

I think someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I believe that how one feels about x bike brand is probably going to be more about their experience with their local bike shop, and not the manufacturer.

Hmmmmm.
When I was five I got a tricycle for my birthday. I was so happy I wanted to put it beside me in the bed that night. Mom compromised and said it could "sleep" in my room -- but not the bed -- for one night.
I'm in love with my Cannondale. I'm married now, so I haven't thought about putting it in the bed, but there have been a couple of mornings when I'd have awakened happier if it had been in the room.
My son has a Giant. No complaints about that.
And this weekend he's going to get a Trek.

I am mad at Schwinn because they had a really great bike in the 60's; then they just dropped everything. They never really put any money into R & D

I wonder if the Cannondale execs have seen the results of this poll.

Kinda makes me glad I bought a Specialized.

I suggest you read up on the history of Scwinn. The company was inovative, they made bikes cheaply and quickly when there was no market for ten speed bikes aimed at kids. Any of the most recent Scwinns were in name only, having been made in Taiwan.

Cyclist14 said:
Had a Huffy MTB given to me and it was not the best:eek:

1. The seatpost and the top of the seat tube bent. (not because of my wieght, I weigh 140):confused:

2.Rims out of true if I went over a jump:mad:

3. Left crank arm came lose no matter how much I tightened it.:mad:

4. Very heavy (steel):eek:
I have to agree, Huffy has got to be the worst bike company. The bottom of the bottom. They are "toy store" bikes. All the companies listed in the poll are mass producers so it is no wonder that some people have problems with Cannondale, Trek etc... Quality control will always miss a few bikes.

Working in a LBS, we get a lot of Huffy's. Cannondales come in 2nd with problems more around seized bottom brackets and seatposts.

sheila98 said:
Working in a LBS, we get a lot of Huffy's. Cannondales come in 2nd with problems more around seized bottom brackets and seatposts.

Forgive me, but what's a bottom bracket?

Ashley3 said:
Forgive me, but what's a bottom bracket?
The bottom bracket is located inside the bike frame where the down tube, chainstay and seat tube connects. It connects the left crank arm and the right chain rings and crankarm. There are two types of bottom brackets, sealed cartridge which is one piece enclosing the spindle and bearings. The other is a non sealed, consisting of bearings, cups, and spindle. Most road bikes and MTB's come with a sealed cartridge type BB. This is a non servicable part, meaning you replace the entire piece not just the spindle or bearings or cups as you would with a non sealed part. It is the piece which allows you to turn you crank to put is simply.

bbchorus.jpg
this is a sealed cartridge bb

With dirt and water, over time the aluminum threads fuse to the BB shell (part of the bike frame)

bbtap_11.jpg

Causing the part to sieze inside the frame. This happen's mostly with aluminum frames. You should take the cartride out at least one time over life of your bike and grease the threads of the bb shell and the threads on cartridge bb.

I have seen this problem perdominately with cannondales. Once the are siezed and fused you have a big problem which is costly and time consuming.

Hope this helps

[

You should take the cartride out at least one time over life of your bike and grease the threads of the bb shell and the threads on cartridge bb.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a fabulous and thorough explanation. When I take my bike in for its annual tuneup is that something they're likely to do as a matter of routine or should I request it?