Which bike brands are the Chevrolets?

engwar

Guest
Ok, newbie here again.

I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
get in good working order for light riding.

If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
Chevrolets?

engwar wrote:

> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.
>
> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
> Chevrolets?

It is "possible" to find good deals in the junk yard, and it is
"possible" for a newbie to rebuild a bike, but I don't think it is
likely. Sorry.

As a newbie your best bet is to bite the bullet and be prepared to
spend more $$ than you really want. Often the repair and componentry
cost for a dirt-cheap used bike are not cost-effective. Also, consider
the aggravation - it's easy to screw up. Modern bike mechanics often
go through formal education - i.e., school in a classroom and lab
environment - fixing up a bike is not particuarly easy for the ordinary
person.

Entry-level bikes at your local LBS is the way to go - that is where
you can find your Chevies. The brands are displayed in the store
windows in neon.

On the upside: Now may be a good time to visit your LBS and tell them
want your are thinking - as days get darker and colder (especailly if
you are in a 4-season climate), they may be less busy, and perhaps,
more willing to cut youa deal.

Mid-range Specialized comes to mind. You may get a wide variety of responses
though, everyone has an opinion of chevrolet, good bad or somewhere in the
middle.
Actually, brands like CCM and others that are still made in large
inefficient american factories using overpaid, underskilled disinterested
workers and mass producing bikes based purely on price-point probably best
fits the bill. There are several factories in Quebec for example that still
beg for, and get government subsidies to help protect their industry, try
them for Chevrolet equivilents. "Toys R Us" would sell brands like this.
Your best bet is to buy a used mid-range bike built by a good manufacturer
such as Rocky-mountain, Fischer etc. and learn to work on these. You'll come
to appreciate the finer build and riding attributes very quickly.... if you
ride it that is.

Remember the joy of a low price is long gone when the pain of low quility
takes hold.

Grolsch

news:[email protected]...

engwar wrote:
> Ok, newbie here again.
>
> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.
>
> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
> Chevrolets?

I'd scout around for a used, mid-level Trek bicycle. Their cro-moly
bikes are bomb-proof and ride well.

engwar wrote:
> Ok, newbie here again.
>
> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.
>
> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
> Chevrolets?

Giant, Raleigh, Fuji, etc. Next step up stuff like Fisher, Lemond, Trek and
Specialized (and Canondale).

What kind of riding are you going to do? Road/path only? Or some trails?

On Oct 18, 7:42 am, "engwar" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.

What type of bike do you want? You can probably pick up a basic Trek,
Giant, or Specialized mountain bike for not too much money (~$100 or
so).

If you're thinking road bike, you can find something by Peugeot,
Raleigh, Trek...and you could make out okay.

A couple things...first of all, basic maintenance on a bike can be
handled with a limited set of tools and knowledge, but complete
build-ups often require specialized tools and/or knowledge. Bottom
brackets and headsets, for example, require a little more know-how
than, say, derailleurs and seat posts. So if you go the used route,
make sure there's nothing major that needs repair or replacement.

Also, be prepared to be frustrated and to exercise patience. You may
have to invest some money in quality tools, depending on how involved
you want to get, and get yourself a good manual to help you through
some of the processes. These costs can add up fairly quickly, putting
a damper on the "fix up something cheap" philosophy.

Your best bet (and the route I would recommend) would be to buy a
basic, entry-level bike at a shop and learn how to maintain that,
first. Once you've ridden a bit on something safe and new, you can
start looking at building a completely different type of bike for a
project. Used frames are reasonably cheap and you can work through an
entire build-up process, and you'll learn a lot along the way. If you
start with a new mountain bike, for example (you can get a new cheap
one for about $250 or so) you can look at building up a basic road bike
that will allow you go on longer rides. You'll also have a baseline
for what you like/don't like about the mountain bike and can then
customize something towards your needs. Also, your knowledge of bikes
will grow exponentially just by riding and reading books and magazines
and websites (Sheldon Brown should be on your bookmarks) etc.

Good luck, and welcome.

Thanks for the tips, all.

I definitely don't want to attempt to totally rebuild the bike, just
want something to learn basic repairs on. So yes I do need to find
something in decent shape.

I'll be looking for a hybrid or mountain bike. I won't be going on long
trips. Just riding around the neighborhood and in parks. General
fitness stuff etc.

I'm really just looking to learn more about bikes before I splurge for
a fancy new one.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

On Oct 18, 9:42 am, "engwar" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ok, newbie here again.
>
> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.
>
> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
> Chevrolets?

"Will" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> engwar wrote:
>> Ok, newbie here again.
>>
>> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
>> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
>> get in good working order for light riding.
>>
>> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
>> Chevrolets?

> I'd scout around for a used, mid-level Trek bicycle. Their cro-moly
> bikes are bomb-proof and ride well.

I thought the same thing...except I bought a bike to learn repairs not
caring if I messed it up as I have good bikes. Just didn't want to learn on
them. I bought a trek singletrak 930( I think or 920), at a yrad
sale..complete and in great working order..just needed a good cleaning for
$30.
John

daytoncapri wrote:
> engwar wrote:
>
> It is "possible" to find good deals in the junk yard, and it is
> "possible" for a newbie to rebuild a bike, but I don't think it is
> likely. Sorry.
>
> As a newbie your best bet is to bite the bullet and be prepared to
> spend more $$ than you really want. Often the repair and componentry
> cost for a dirt-cheap used bike are not cost-effective. Also, consider
> the aggravation - it's easy to screw up. Modern bike mechanics often
> go through formal education - i.e., school in a classroom and lab
> environment - fixing up a bike is not particuarly easy for the ordinary
> person.

I could not disagree more. I do almost all maintenance on my 12 bikes
and I taught myself. It's not that hard. Info is available on the
internet. You just have to have a little common sense and a desire to
learn.

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> daytoncapri wrote:
>
>>engwar wrote:
>>
>>It is "possible" to find good deals in the junk yard, and it is
>>"possible" for a newbie to rebuild a bike, but I don't think it is
>>likely. Sorry.
>>
>>As a newbie your best bet is to bite the bullet and be prepared to
>>spend more $$ than you really want. Often the repair and componentry
>>cost for a dirt-cheap used bike are not cost-effective. Also, consider
>>the aggravation - it's easy to screw up. Modern bike mechanics often
>>go through formal education - i.e., school in a classroom and lab
>>environment - fixing up a bike is not particuarly easy for the ordinary
>>person.

> I could not disagree more. I do almost all maintenance on my 12 bikes
> and I taught myself. It's not that hard. Info is available on the
> internet. You just have to have a little common sense and a desire to
> learn.
>
> Tom

I agree that it's possible to learn bicycle repair and maintenance
without /formal/ training. But it's not that easy. You need a lot of
patience and the results may not always turn out the way they should. I
have found the internet to be good for somethings, but prefer a good
printed book that I can take to the garage if needed.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

[email protected] wrote:
> daytoncapri wrote:
>> engwar wrote:
>>
>> It is "possible" to find good deals in the junk yard, and it is
>> "possible" for a newbie to rebuild a bike, but I don't think it is
>> likely. Sorry.
>>
>> As a newbie your best bet is to bite the bullet and be prepared to
>> spend more $$ than you really want. Often the repair and componentry
>> cost for a dirt-cheap used bike are not cost-effective. Also, consider
>> the aggravation - it's easy to screw up. Modern bike mechanics often
>> go through formal education - i.e., school in a classroom and lab
>> environment - fixing up a bike is not particuarly easy for the ordinary
>> person.

> I could not disagree more. I do almost all maintenance on my 12 bikes
> and I taught myself. It's not that hard. Info is available on the
> internet. You just have to have a little common sense and a desire to
> learn.
>
> Tom

I have to agree with the junk yard theory since I befriended a guy who
ran one north of the Golden Gate bridge. Some of the yuppies obviously
had way too much money since I could find anything and everything at his
place, including a Trek that still was in good shape but not the latest
model. I guess he couldn't be bothered with the sort of people who would
want to talk to him about a 'yecchhh, USED trek'. I used to go there
sometimes at lunch with a few tools and could get complete high end
cranksets for $5.00, seats for $1.00 each, and so on. It beat the
Hellout of even E-bay. I passed on the Trek since the frame was for
someone about 6'5" and that is not for me at 5'7".
Bill Baka

On 18 Oct 2006 07:42:53 -0700, "engwar" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ok, newbie here again.
>
>I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
>Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
>get in good working order for light riding.
>
>If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
>Chevrolets?

I'd say the "Chevrolets" of bicycles are more the rigid mountain bikes
made by any of the major manufacturers. Trek, Specialized, Giant,
etc. all make much more expensive bikes, but you can get a decent
mountain bike from any of them for $300 new, which will have decent,
if not top of the line, components. You can probably find lots of
them in garages, sitting unused, and get them relatively cheap.

With luck, you could also get a low-end hybrid, but they weren't sold
in such large volumes, so you'll have a tougher time finding a used
one.

Pat

Email address works as is.

[email protected] wrote:
> daytoncapri wrote:

> I could not disagree more. I do almost all maintenance on my 12 bikes
> and I taught myself. It's not that hard. Info is available on the
> internet. You just have to have a little common sense and a desire to
> learn.

I don't mind the disagreement, you seem to be a person a sufficient
aptitude for this. As a mechanical klutz, I know that's not me - I have
found out painfully and repeatedly, but I wouldn't mind hanging out
with you. Regards

daytoncapri wrote:
> engwar wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
>>Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
>>get in good working order for light riding.
>>
>>If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
>>Chevrolets?

> It is "possible" to find good deals in the junk yard, and it is
> "possible" for a newbie to rebuild a bike, but I don't think it is
> likely. Sorry.
>
> As a newbie your best bet is to bite the bullet and be prepared to
> spend more $$ than you really want. Often the repair and componentry
> cost for a dirt-cheap used bike are not cost-effective. Also, consider
> the aggravation - it's easy to screw up. Modern bike mechanics often
> go through formal education - i.e., school in a classroom and lab
> environment - fixing up a bike is not particuarly easy for the ordinary
> person.

I don't see where the OP mentioned a junk yard. There is a middle
ground: go to a LBS and get a used bicycle that may need some minor
fix-up. It really isn't that hard to do some simple things: change the
tires, replace the chain, change out the handlebars and/or pedals,
replace worn chainrings. I've done all these things without any
"training" on my Trek 950 and Diamondback. Most of the stuff is just
basic maintenance and bicyclists should know how to do these at a minimum.

I would recommend going to a bike swap if there are any in the local
area. There are usually tons of bikes, parts and just stuff.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > daytoncapri wrote:
> >
> > I could not disagree more. I do almost all maintenance on my 12 bikes
> > and I taught myself. It's not that hard. Info is available on the
> > internet. You just have to have a little common sense and a desire to
> > learn.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> I agree that it's possible to learn bicycle repair and maintenance
> without /formal/ training. But it's not that easy. You need a lot of
> patience and the results may not always turn out the way they should.

Oh come on. A bicycle is not that complicated. A reasonable amount of
patience and common sense will bring good results. Simply read, ask
questions, and do it. Even Sheldon still makes an occasional mistake.

I don't post very often. But I need to speak up when people actively
discourage new-comers from doing their own maintenance.

Tom

Tom

"engwar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the tips, all.

> I definitely don't want to attempt to totally rebuild the bike, just
> want something to learn basic repairs on. So yes I do need to find
> something in decent shape.
>
> I'll be looking for a hybrid or mountain bike. I won't be going on long
> trips. Just riding around the neighborhood and in parks. General
> fitness stuff etc.
>
> I'm really just looking to learn more about bikes before I splurge for
> a fancy new one.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestions.

There a few great books on bike maintenance that could really help you. The
Zinn On series is great. I also like the Park Tool Big Blue book. The Park
Tool website also has great "how to" articles.

"engwar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok, newbie here again.
>
> I'm interested in scouring the want-ads, craigslist and my local
> Goodwill for a project bike that I can buy cheap, learn how to work on
> get in good working order for light riding.
>
> If the Huffy = Yugo and Cannondale = Lexus what bike brands are the
> Chevrolets?

Cannondale