Which Bike Cº give best "bang for buck"

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
Not your over-hyped, over-marketed, 3 ads in every mag, bike company.

Who makes great bikes at a good honest price?

I'll kick off with Jamis.

I have quite a few bikes but the bike I loved to ride the most is my 853 Jamis Eclipse.

Coming in a close second is my Masi.

... and you?

my specialized tarmac expert is excellent, nothing bad about it so far, its responsive and an overall great bike, I got it cheap too, I used to own a Lemond Etape, not a complaint about that one either.

Whoa, a lot of potential companies... essentially anything beyond the 20~30 or so companies that everyone has heard of.

Here in Italy I would say any bike shop that sells you a rebranded Deda frame with their name on it. Good frame usually at a fraction of the price of a 'big name' brand with essentially the same performance.

Which does not mean I do not continue to dream of a De Rosa King or a Colnago Extreme Power...

Powerful Pete said:
Whoa, a lot of potential companies... essentially anything beyond the 20~30 or so companies that everyone has heard of.

Here in Italy I would say any bike shop that sells you a rebranded Deda frame with their name on it. Good frame usually at a fraction of the price of a 'big name' brand with essentially the same performance.

Which does not mean I do not continue to dream of a De Rosa King or a Colnago Extreme Power...

I have a Ritchey frame... and it's my BEST bike. I have a couple of specialized carbon frames which are really great but I know you pay a premium for the name (+ lifetime warrantee) as you do with trek etc. I have a friend that swears his Kona road bike is fantastic and $$$s cheaper that a Trek with the same level of components.