Road Cycling · Public discussion

Which bike II?

Started by Sarah Banick · · Last activity · 58 posts · 1,561 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
29 April 2005
Last activity
14 May 2005
Original author
Sarah Banick
Posts
58
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,561
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 58
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Jim Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    araby said:

    With bad knees and back problems I would not recommend a recumbent. I
    rode
    one exclusively for about four years. Experiencing increasing leg and
    back
    problems I consulted an orthopedic specialist who put it down to the
    closed
    riding position. Reverting to uprights I have had no further problems. If
    you want to do hills "easier and faster", recumbents are not the answer.

    I am a bit confused by this. Isn't all cycling (with the possible
    exception of standing to climb or sprint) considered a closed kinetic
    chain exercise? Also, aren't closed chain exercises generally
    considered *less* stressfull on knees?

    I'm not sure of what you mean by "closed kinetic chain exercise".
    My Vrex had a bottom bracket at roughly the same height as the seat
    cushion. The angle of the seat back determined the degree of "closed" . With
    a recumbent all the pedalling effort comes from the quads. On hills, maximum
    pedalling effort is augmented by pressing hard against the seat back and
    pedalling all the way round(i.e.using clipless pedals). You are still very
    dependent on the quads though. In my case the root problem was in the right
    hip which manifested itself as pain in the right knee and back.
    With uprights, pedalling effort on hills can be significantly increased by
    "honking" or standing on the pedals using the arms and upper body plus the
    weight of the rider. In this case the position is just about as open as you
    can get. In my case the problem was no doubt accentuated by my stupid
    efforts to stay with with uprights on hills during club rides. On downhills
    I could leave them, on the flats I could hold my own, but on hills -no way.
    My experience my not be the same for everyone, but my problem has
    completely disappeared since reverting to uprights. In fact, I have just
    come in from a brisk 51km club ride with no aches or pains whatever

    With regard to Sarah's original query, my preference (maximum comfort level)
    for
    road riding is a well set up "racing/touring/hybrid/cyclocross bike" with
    drop bars. This can take some time to achieve and whilst the generally
    accepted
    guidelines are very useful, final dialling-in is a personal "suck it and
    see" exercise

    Regards,

    Roy

  2. Bob said:

    You could of course do what most riders I know do. Carefully research
    all the available bikes that fit your needs, weigh all your options,
    and then buy the bike that makes you drool. <g>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    LOL! Can we add this response to the FAQ?

    Pat

  3. Rich Clark said:

    These characteristics make them very
    adaptable to touring/commuting/all-around applications. My main commuter
    is a cyclocross frame with a rack, fenders, and lights installed.

    Most cyclocross bikes are indeed sold to folks who use them the same way
    we used to use touring bikes. The main difference is the bottom bracket
    height's a little higher now. Think sturdy road bike that can handle a
    fire road.

    Jamis, Surly, Bianchi--they're calling their bikes "cyclocross" and indeed
    you could race on most of them--but then you see that they come with full
    braze-ons for racks, fenders, and the like. It's like buying an SUV
    because a station wagon (touring bike) isn't hip enough. Marketing is what
    it is.

    There certainly are very racy dedicated cxbikes that have no provisions
    for being "converted", but I bet most of them are doing urban/touring duty.

    Unlike even most more sensible "sport" bikes these days, with Cx type
    bikes you're getting cantilever brakes or even discs, and thus can choose
    from a huge variety of tires w/o having to worry about brake clearance.

    Short reach brakes for the non-racer have to be one of the dumbest things
    the industry ever forced down consumers' throats.

  4. Quoted message said:


    CX and touring bikes are similar but yet different. Cross bikes are
    usually lighter and have nimbler geometry making them ideal for urban
    duties. If I know waht I know now I'd have bought a cross bike and set
    of wheels instead of a racing bike.

    What's a "nimbler geometry"?

    The high BB of a cross bike contrasts with the low BB of a touring bike.
    The latter is much nicer for urban riding. That's about the only
    difference.

  5. Peter Cole said:

    The latter is much nicer for urban riding.

    a few mm of BB bracket height difference are going to make a bike *much*
    nicer for urban riding?

    I'd think saddle, bar type, fit, etc. would make more of a difference. 😉

  6. maxo said:
    Peter Cole said:

    The latter is much nicer for urban riding.

    a few mm of BB bracket height difference are going to make a bike *much*
    nicer for urban riding?

    I'd think saddle, bar type, fit, etc. would make more of a difference. 😉

    It's more than a few mm, since 'cross bikes are higher than road bikes
    and touring bikes lower, it may be more like an inch. The reason this is
    a big deal in urban riding is because of so much stop & go, it's much
    easier to dab one toe down with a lower BB, that inch can make a big
    difference.

    Fit is fit, no reason to expect a 'cross bike to fit better or worse
    than a touring bike, same with saddles; 'cross bikes bar type varies,
    some flat, some drop, I guess if you really want flat you'd be hard
    pressed to find a touring bike with one, and converting is a problem.

    'Cross bikes are be better to run with, if that's part of your urban
    riding routine.

  7. Peter Cole said:

    'Cross bikes are be better to run with, if that's part of your urban
    riding routine.

    Now there's an idea! :P

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:
    maxo said:
    Peter Cole said:

    The latter is much nicer for urban riding.

    a few mm of BB bracket height difference are going to make a bike *much*
    nicer for urban riding?

    I'd think saddle, bar type, fit, etc. would make more of a difference. 😉

    It's more than a few mm, since 'cross bikes are higher than road bikes
    and touring bikes lower, it may be more like an inch. The reason this is
    a big deal in urban riding is because of so much stop & go, it's much
    easier to dab one toe down with a lower BB, that inch can make a big
    difference.

    Mr. Cole,

    Please let me correct you on some misinformation..

    A while back, you agreed that Trek 520 and the Cannondale T series are
    true touring bikes. What you may not be aware of is that, they both
    sport a higher than normal BB bracket height. In fact, the Cannondale
    T2000 has the same bottom bracket height as the Trek Elite 9.8 (Trek's
    Carbon OCLV hardtail -- a mountain bike). Both has a height of 297mm,
    whereas the Trek 520 has a BB height of 281mm. I considered them both
    cross country mountain bike BB heights. A Trek 5000 has a BB height of
    265mm (just less than 32mm (more than an inch) difference between it
    and the T2000 and half to the 520) So I suppose, the Trek 520 and the
    Cannondale T2000 are not ideal for stop and go commuting because of the
    reasons you've given above and they are really not touring bikes.
    Somehow I have a feeling that both the Trek 520 and Cannondale T2000
    owners won't agree with you.

    David.

  9. David said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:
    maxo said:

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:53:41 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

    >The latter is much nicer for urban riding.

    a few mm of BB bracket height difference are going to make a bike *much*
    nicer for urban riding?

    I'd think saddle, bar type, fit, etc. would make more of a difference. 😉

    It's more than a few mm, since 'cross bikes are higher than road bikes
    and touring bikes lower, it may be more like an inch. The reason this is
    a big deal in urban riding is because of so much stop & go, it's much
    easier to dab one toe down with a lower BB, that inch can make a big
    difference.

    Mr. Cole,

    Please let me correct you on some misinformation..

    A while back, you agreed that Trek 520 and the Cannondale T series are
    true touring bikes. What you may not be aware of is that, they both
    sport a higher than normal BB bracket height. In fact, the Cannondale
    T2000 has the same bottom bracket height as the Trek Elite 9.8 (Trek's
    Carbon OCLV hardtail -- a mountain bike). Both has a height of 297mm,
    whereas the Trek 520 has a BB height of 281mm. I considered them both
    cross country mountain bike BB heights. A Trek 5000 has a BB height of
    265mm (just less than 32mm (more than an inch) difference between it
    and the T2000 and half to the 520) So I suppose, the Trek 520 and the
    Cannondale T2000 are not ideal for stop and go commuting because of the
    reasons you've given above and they are really not touring bikes.
    Somehow I have a feeling that both the Trek 520 and Cannondale T2000
    owners won't agree with you.

    I'm not sure where you got your numbers, I can't find sources that agree.

    I prefer to use the traditional "BB drop" number because it avoids any
    ambiguities as to whether tire size is included in "BB height".

    Typically, BB drops for touring bikes are around 80mm, Fuji, Heron,
    Waterford, Rivendell and Surly all still use this geometry. This is what
    my Cannondale CAD2 uses as well.

    Cyclecross BB drops seem to run 15-25mm less typically.

    Cannondale seems to have raised their touring frame BB a bit (67mm
    drop), but it's still a bit lower than their 'cross frame drop (58mm).

  10. David said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:
    maxo said:

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:53:41 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

    >The latter is much nicer for urban riding.

    a few mm of BB bracket height difference are going to make a bike *much*
    nicer for urban riding?

    I'd think saddle, bar type, fit, etc. would make more of a difference. 😉

    It's more than a few mm, since 'cross bikes are higher than road bikes
    and touring bikes lower, it may be more like an inch. The reason this is
    a big deal in urban riding is because of so much stop & go, it's much
    easier to dab one toe down with a lower BB, that inch can make a big
    difference.

    Mr. Cole,

    While an inch can make a good difference dabbing one toe down with a
    lower BB, an inch higher can also make a big difference trying to hand
    haul a loaded touring bike over obstacles. Since cross country
    mountain bikes have a BB height of around 297mm, it makes sense for
    touring bikes to be of the same height if you plan on doing some
    off-road touring with 38c tires as some had done. Many people had done
    tours with the Cannondales albeit with a higher than normal BB and had
    no complaints with it whatsoever. And most people had a deep
    understanding that a Cannondale T series is a true touring bike right?

    Again, I don't know where you're getting your numbers, and I don't
    understand the relevance of comparison to mountain bikes or off-road
    issues in the context of urban riding.

    I also don't understand "deep understandings".

  11. David said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    CX and touring bikes are similar but yet different. Cross bikes are
    usually lighter and have nimbler geometry making them ideal for urban
    duties. If I know waht I know now I'd have bought a cross bike and set
    of wheels instead of a racing bike.

    What's a "nimbler geometry"?

    Most cross bikes have a shorter wheelbase than a typical modern higher
    than normal BB height touring bike (not ideal for touring), but not as
    much as a racing bike. I am not sure if that can be perceived as a
    nimbler geometry,

    It's not.

  12. Sarah,

    I think one option is to get an older touring bike. The longer
    wheelbase, longer chainstays make for comfortable riding. A triple will
    spin you nicely up the hills. I'd get on ebay and look at vintage
    TREKS, something built between 1978 and 1986 will be 531 steel, braised
    and lugged, and will cost between $250 and $450 plus shipping. I'd
    focus on the 520, 620, 720, or 728 models. Get cantilever brakes if
    possible. As luck would have it, there's a decent 52cm bike located in
    Decatur now, as well as a couple of 48's if you're smaller.

    None of them are mine.

    Or... look for a small Gunnar cross bike. I say small because they have
    longer top tubes relative to seat tubes than most brands.

    Will

  13. "Patrick O'Grady" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:maddogmedia-

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    If you liked your Bianchi, you might take a look at the Bianchi Volpe
    (http://www.bianchiusa.com/570.html). It's billed as a sort-of cyclo-cross
    bike -- a "go anywhere road/trail bike." It has a steel frame (an
    addiction of mine); a triple crankset with a low gear of 28x32 (with that,
    you can climb trees, metal knees or no); and a more upright riding
    position.

    The Bianchi Brava is another good choice, and retails at around $650. It has
    a quill stem, which will make it a little easier to have the bars
    sufficiently high. It also has a steel frame. As Patrick pointed out, the
    Volpe has a steel frame as well. With your knee condition, a steel frame is
    probably a better choice than an aluminum frame, and you'll want a regular
    sport-touring frame, not a compact frame.

  14. Mr. Cole,

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not sure where you got your numbers, I can't find sources that agree.

    Here's one source for the T2000 --
    http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=4&a=108

    Please note that the reviewer did find it higher than usual, which
    makes putting your foot down more difficult.

    The Trek figures come from the 2005 paper catalog under the bottom
    bracket to ground measurement. Both touring bikes present a higher
    than usual BB to ground, typically found on cross country bikes. All
    terrain mountain bikes are even much higher.

    Quoted message said:


    Typically, BB drops for touring bikes are around 80mm, Fuji, Heron,
    Waterford, Rivendell and Surly all still use this geometry. This is what
    my Cannondale CAD2 uses as well.

    So is the current Cannondale T series and the Trek 520 touring bikes
    not certified as real touring bikes then?

    David.

  15. David said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm not sure where you got your numbers, I can't find sources that agree.


    Here's one source for the T2000 --
    http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=4&a=108

    Please note that the reviewer did find it higher than usual, which
    makes putting your foot down more difficult.

    The Trek figures come from the 2005 paper catalog under the bottom
    bracket to ground measurement. Both touring bikes present a higher
    than usual BB to ground, typically found on cross country bikes. All
    terrain mountain bikes are even much higher.

    Quoted message said:

    Typically, BB drops for touring bikes are around 80mm, Fuji, Heron,
    Waterford, Rivendell and Surly all still use this geometry. This is what
    my Cannondale CAD2 uses as well.

    So is the current Cannondale T series and the Trek 520 touring bikes
    not certified as real touring bikes then?

    I know where I got *my* numbers -- from the geometry charts on the
    manufacturer's websites. I just don't know where you got yours. As I
    said, BB drop is the only way to compare apples to apples. Trek doesn't
    provide it for the 520.

    I don't know what you mean by "real touring bikes". It's not like
    there's an international committee that certifies them. Traditionally,
    touring frames have been made with lower bottom brackets. This is
    somewhat to accommodate larger tires but more to better control a loaded
    bike when stopping and starting. Cross and MTB bikes are designed for
    off-road, so typically have high bottom brackets to give better pedal
    clearance on uneven surfaces.

    Cross bikes have frame/brake clearances to accommodate larger tires and
    mud as touring bikes do, which gives them more potential for using a
    broader selection of tires with fenders. Cross bikes seem to typically
    come with STI (as does the newer Cannondale) and lack fittings for rack
    & fender attachment. Carbon forks also seem popular with cross bikes,
    which makes sense, given the premium on weight. As I said before, I
    don't understand the argument for cross bikes as ideal commuters unless
    you run with you bike for part of your commute.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:


    Cross bikes have frame/brake clearances to accommodate larger tires and
    mud as touring bikes do, which gives them more potential for using a
    broader selection of tires with fenders. Cross bikes seem to typically
    come with STI (as does the newer Cannondale) and lack fittings for rack
    & fender attachment. Carbon forks also seem popular with cross bikes,
    which makes sense, given the premium on weight. As I said before, I
    don't understand the argument for cross bikes as ideal commuters unless
    you run with you bike for part of your commute.

    Actually, many 'cross bikes do come with eyelets for fenders and a rear
    rack .... the Surly Cross-Check and Jamis Nova/Aurora come to mind. Since
    'cross is the narrowest of niches, the idea is to position the bikes as
    versatile all-rounders, which they are. Not perfect for road, not perfect
    for trail, not perfect for commuting - but pretty good at nearly
    everything. I'd stay off the velodrome, though. And observed trials are
    probably out, too.

    Cheers,

    Patrick O'Grady
    Mad Dog Media
    http://www.maddogmedia.com

  17. Patrick O'Grady said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:

    Cross bikes have frame/brake clearances to accommodate larger tires and
    mud as touring bikes do, which gives them more potential for using a
    broader selection of tires with fenders. Cross bikes seem to typically
    come with STI (as does the newer Cannondale) and lack fittings for rack
    & fender attachment. Carbon forks also seem popular with cross bikes,
    which makes sense, given the premium on weight. As I said before, I
    don't understand the argument for cross bikes as ideal commuters unless
    you run with you bike for part of your commute.

    Actually, many 'cross bikes do come with eyelets for fenders and a rear
    rack .... the Surly Cross-Check and Jamis Nova/Aurora come to mind. Since
    'cross is the narrowest of niches, the idea is to position the bikes as
    versatile all-rounders, which they are. Not perfect for road, not perfect
    for trail, not perfect for commuting - but pretty good at nearly
    everything.

    Well, in that configuration, they're pretty much touring bikes with high
    bottom brackets and shorter chainstays. As I said, unless going
    off-road, I prefer low BB's, and I always prefer longer chainstays.

    Oh yeah, the cross bikes always route the cables so you can run with the
    bike, that's handy.

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:
    Patrick O'Grady said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Peter Cole

    Quoted message said:

    Cross bikes have frame/brake clearances to accommodate larger tires and
    mud as touring bikes do, which gives them more potential for using a
    broader selection of tires with fenders. Cross bikes seem to typically
    come with STI (as does the newer Cannondale) and lack fittings for rack
    & fender attachment. Carbon forks also seem popular with cross bikes,
    which makes sense, given the premium on weight. As I said before, I
    don't understand the argument for cross bikes as ideal commuters unless
    you run with you bike for part of your commute.

    Actually, many 'cross bikes do come with eyelets for fenders and a rear
    rack .... the Surly Cross-Check and Jamis Nova/Aurora come to mind. Since
    'cross is the narrowest of niches, the idea is to position the bikes as
    versatile all-rounders, which they are. Not perfect for road, not perfect
    for trail, not perfect for commuting - but pretty good at nearly
    everything.

    Well, in that configuration, they're pretty much touring bikes with high
    bottom brackets and shorter chainstays. As I said, unless going
    off-road, I prefer low BB's, and I always prefer longer chainstays.

    Oh yeah, the cross bikes always route the cables so you can run with the
    bike, that's handy.

    Man,

    You put a lot of energy into this running-with-the-bike thing. Was your
    mom scared by a jogger while pregnant with you or something? IIRC, the
    Surly uses downtube-cable routing, and I have an older Steelman with the
    same setup. Hell, my boy Brent Steelman will route your cables any way you
    like 'em, even through your nose-holes and out your [censored]. But you'll
    have to ask real nice.

    Cheers,

    Patrick O'Grady
    Mad Dog Media
    http://www.maddogmedia.com

  19. Mr. Cole,

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what you mean by "real touring bikes". It's not like
    there's an international committee that certifies them. Traditionally,
    touring frames have been made with lower bottom brackets. This is
    somewhat to accommodate larger tires but more to better control a loaded
    bike when stopping and starting. Cross and MTB bikes are designed for
    off-road, so typically have high bottom brackets to give better pedal
    clearance on uneven surfaces.

    So what you're saying is that, touring bikes like the Cannondale T2000
    and the Trek 520 with higher than traditional bottom brackets provide
    poor control a loaded bike when stopping and starting?

    Does this mean that the current Cannondale T2000 and Trek 520 touring
    bikes are really not safe to tour on?

    Quoted message said:


    Cross bikes have frame/brake clearances to accommodate larger tires and
    mud as touring bikes do, which gives them more potential for using a
    broader selection of tires with fenders. Cross bikes seem to typically
    come with STI (as does the newer Cannondale) and lack fittings for rack
    & fender attachment.

    Really? Most stock touring bikes, aside from the Trek 520, come with
    STI shifters. In fact, that's what the market demands not what some
    luddites dictate.

    Lack fittings for rack & fender attachment for Cross bikes?? That's
    funny, because the Surly Cross Check and the Soma Double Cross both
    have them (front and rear). In fact, some people use these frames to
    build up their own touring bikes.

    Quoted message said:

    Carbon forks also seem popular with cross bikes,
    which makes sense, given the premium on weight.

    And so does newer generation of touring bikes. The Marinoni Turismo
    comes to mind. They offer a carbon disc fork (similar to the Winwood
    Cyclocross fork except this one got rack attachments). Weight wise on
    this kind of carbon fork isn't light at all -- hovering around 700g!

    Quoted message said:

    As I said before, I
    don't understand the argument for cross bikes as ideal commuters unless
    you run with you bike for part of your commute.

    So, do you need to run with the Trek 520 or the Cannondale T2000 as
    part of one's commute?

    David.

  20. Patrick O'Grady said:

    You put a lot of energy into this running-with-the-bike thing. Was your
    mom scared by a jogger while pregnant with you or something? IIRC, the
    Surly uses downtube-cable routing, and I have an older Steelman with the
    same setup. Hell, my boy Brent Steelman will route your cables any way you
    like 'em, even through your nose-holes and out your [censored]. But you'll
    have to ask real nice.

    That's a whole lot of macho posturing for an old fat guy.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.